Second/third generation players

Broken Algorithms

I'm not sure if it's just bias given Rovers have five members of our squad in this position, but are there more second or third generation players in the SPFL than before?

We've got:

Robbie Thomson (Scott), Ross Millen (Andy), Aiden Connolly (Paddy), Dylan Corr (Barry John), Kyle Turner (Tommy). 

Others which come to mind are Alfie Bavidge and Rocco Diack. 

Our current first team squad includes Lewis Gibson (Wullie) and indeed they played together for us a couple of times last season.

Can't think of anyone else currently at the club whose dad played full league level but we've had a few in the relatively recent past. Max Johnston (Allan), Kevin Holt (Gordon) and Robbie Thomson (Scott) being some that spring to mind.

Gallagher Lennon (Neil) and Lennon Miller (Lee) are another two prominent ones coming through now. Lewis Ferguson (Derek) obviously.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Scott Stewart at Arbroath is the son of ex Airdrie player Sandy Stewart (and Scott played for us for a few years at the start of his career).

Falkirk's keeper Nicky Hogarth is the son of Myles Hogarth, who played in goals for Falkirk for a few years.

The Quitongos, Jai and Rico, are sons of José Quitongo, of course.

Not currently in Scotland, but Thomas "Tam Rab" Robert who played for us a couple of years ago is the son of Laurent Robert.  Not quite as good.

Most prominent for us is Ryan Christie, son of Charlie.

Liam Polworth's dad is former Caley and Elgin striker and long time Clach manager Iain Polworth.

Richard Hastings son played for our youth team, as did Wilson Robertson's son I think.  Liam Keogh's plays for them now.  

Edited by ICTChris

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Clyde's Ray Grant is the son of Peter Grant while Peter Grant Junior is on loan to Dumbarton. 

Not anymore he's not, that was this time last year.

We've got Jay Hogarth (son of Myles) and Gallagher Lennon (son of Neil) in our squad at this very moment. Luca Vata is also Rudi Vata's nephew.

Robbie Hamilton at East Fife (on loan from Hibs) is the son of Jim Hamilton and grand-son of Jim Hamilton Snr - both of whom also played for EF

https://eastfifefc.info/latest-news/1573-robbie-hamilton-joins-on-loan-from-hibernian

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Hearts have had a good line in Walkers going back a century. There was Tommy Walker in the 1900s, another Tommy Walker (player and successful manager) and Jamie Walker.

The second Tommy Walker's brother played for St Bernards and Belfast Celtic. I knew his son who played in the same youth team as John Greig 

On 05/02/2024 at 13:14, A Diamond For Me said:

Scott Stewart at Arbroath is the son of ex Airdrie player Sandy Stewart (and Scott played for us for a few years at the start of his career).

Falkirk's keeper Nicky Hogarth is the son of Myles Hogarth, who played in goals for Falkirk for a few years.

The Quitongos, Jai and Rico, are sons of José Quitongo, of course.

Not currently in Scotland, but Thomas "Tam Rab" Robert who played for us a couple of years ago is the son of Laurent Robert.  Not quite as good.

Ooft, forgot about that one despite Rico playing for us last season!

Another one that springs to mind is Oli Shaw (son of Greg) and whose grandfather Dick was a coach and Club Secretary at Queen of the South for many years. None of them ever actually played for us though (at least don't think Dick did, the other two definitely didn't). I was at school with Greg who played for Ayr, Falkirk and Dunfermline most notably. We did try to sign Oli on loan at one point when he was a Hibs youngster but it never happened.

If we can delve into deep history, the only player to ever get a full Scotland cap whilst with QoS was Billy Houliston in the 50's (3 caps). His son Keith would subsequently play for a us a few times (and was later a director). Keith's son in law (briefly anyway) was Sean O'Connor who played for us in the Scottish Cup Final in 2008. Also, Jackie Oakes Snr was one of our all time greats. His sons Jackie Jnr and Buster both played for us too.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

We had Nicky Henderson who we signed from Cowdenbeath back in about 1994. He of course is the father of Liam (in Italy) and Ewan last seen at Hibs I think. Would be quite happy if Liam fancied a wee spell in FK2 tbh.

I never realised until recently that Cameron Burgess of Ipswich and Australia is the son of ex Bairn and all round swoonworthy centre back Stuart "Sumo" Burgess.

More recently we had the three Fulton brothers, son of Stevie, of whom Jay has carved out a long career in the English Championship. No idea what happened to Dale and Tyler after they left us. Think Dale might have been at Stirling for a spell?

On 05/02/2024 at 11:39, Skyline Drifter said:

Rory Whittaker (Steven), Gallagher Lennon (Neil), Lennon Miller (Lee) are another three prominent ones coming through now.

I don't think Rory Whittaker is related to Steven, I haven't seen any reference to it.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think Rory Whittaker is related to Steven, I haven't seen any reference to it.

You're right. Someone told me he was Steven's boy months ago and I made the mistake of taking it at face value without checking before repeating here. Have now checked and plenty of people online confirming he isn't related. Will amend the original post for fear of creating more misleading internet trail that's wrong!

Thanks

On 05/02/2024 at 13:22, ICTChris said:

Most prominent for us is Ryan Christie, son of Charlie.

Liam Polworth's dad is former Caley and Elgin striker and long time Clach manager Iain Polworth.

Richard Hastings son played for our youth team, as did Wilson Robertson's son I think.  Liam Keogh's plays for them now.  

It was Richard Hastings nephew, Gabriel, that was in the youth system I think (if that’s who you’re referring to)

Obviously the Grants for us as mentioned.

In the past decade or so we've also had Olly McDonald (Paul), Jay Henderson (Darren), Chris McStay (Paul), Gregg Wylde (Gordon), Kyle Ferguson (Barry), Scott Durie (Gordon), Ross Millen (Andy), Bradley Coyne (Tommy), Mark Archdeacon (Owen) & Dale Fulton (Stevie). Can't help but think our recruitment policy over our banter years was "did yer Da play?"

When I started going to Gayfield, our goalie was Gordon Marshall. His son (also Gordon) played for Scotland whilst with an obscure Glasgow club.

Eric Sellars & his son Barry both also played for the Lichties.

Finally, at one point, Arbroath had 2 players called Scott Peters. They weren't related, but as neither had a middle name, they were distinguished by using 'senior' and 'junior'

On a preseason tour down south, the opposition programme mentioned how rare it was to see a father & son playing together...

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

When I started going to Gayfield, our goalie was Gordon Marshall. His son (also Gordon) played for Scotland whilst with an obscure Glasgow club.

Eric Sellars & his son Barry both also played for the Lichties.

Finally, at one point, Arbroath had 2 players called Scott Peters. They weren't related, but as neither had a middle name, they were distinguished by using 'senior' and 'junior'

On a preseason tour down south, the opposition programme mentioned how rare it was to see a father & son playing together...

I spoke to both Scott's relatively recently about this! :lol: 

image.png.93d03cfa5639d4a1e6fd261deef5de57.png

We've also had Stewart Forsyth and his son Craig Forsyth (both played for Dundee also) and I'm 99% sure we've had three generations of Stirling's play for the club between the 1880s and 1940s....

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2024 at 16:36, lichtgilphead said:

Now our gk coach. Good guy.

His brother Scott was also a footballer of course, playing for Arsenal a few times and now on staff at Colchester United.