Dumbarton vs Forfar

6 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Here's the miss again in better quality.

The ball 100% bobbles/bounces just before it reaches Ruth and flies off his leg. He also looks a good yard or two offside. Unfortunately when you have a pitch that resembles one of Fishie’s fields stuff like this is bound to happen.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The ball 100% bobbles/bounces just before it reaches Ruth and flies off his leg. He also looks a good yard or two offside. Unfortunately when you have a pitch that resembles one of Fishie’s fields stuff like this is bound to happen.

Yep. And the fault for the state of the pitch, much like Farrell still being here, lies with the good Doctor.

4 hours ago, GordyBrow said:

Farrell can clearly convince players to join us. The question has to be asked, what on earth does he do after which makes their performances fall off a cliff. Three seasons in a row we’ve come out of the traps well, only to stumble and fall around the end of the calendar year and not recover.

Faz has clearly not been up to the task since that initial bit of form before Christmas in league 1. 

I agree with the above with his recruitment and tbh it’s a big positive for him. 

Did he not mention somewhere recently that he leaves his assistant to prepare the team for him with training etc? If so, do we bin him and try someone else with him? 
I only say this as the club are clearly not going to bin him. 

Farrell as an assistant was fine. You can tell his skill set is suited to it. His record as a manager is poor, and you’re not getting anyone arguing in his favour apart from half a dozen crackpots in our support and Neil MacKay.

12 minutes ago, Elrow said:

Faz has clearly not been up to the task since that initial bit of form before Christmas in league 1. 

I agree with the above with his recruitment and tbh it’s a big positive for him. 

Did he not mention somewhere recently that he leaves his assistant to prepare the team for him with training etc? If so, do we bin him and try someone else with him? 
I only say this as the club are clearly not going to bin him. 

Assistant managers running training sessions is a common thing. Farrell done it with Aitken, Ross and Beuzelin with Murray etc.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Assistant managers running training sessions is a common thing. Farrell done it with Aitken, Ross and Beuzelin with Murray etc.

Aye it’s nothing new. Hence why I think maybe a different head next to him to prepare the team could make a difference. 

That game wasn't the worst spectacle in the world. Especially given the form of the two teams and the state of the pitch. It wasn't free-flowing gorgeous football. But both sides were pushing bodies forward and it would've been entertaining enough for a neutral. Or, as the guy beside me said at one stage "here, this hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be."

We had more chances, but I thought Forfar merited their point. I felt like we were on top for the first-half and at half-time I was confident we'd win if we could add a third early on. Alas we didn't, Forfar grew into the game and had been threatening an equaliser when it arrived.

Mikey Ruth's miss at the end is a howler. But I'm prepared to cut him some slack on the basis that I thought he had another very good game today. It's just a shame he was left so isolated and doing his best with big punts for large spells of the second-half.

He took his goal superbly and I hope the miss doesn't dent his confidence. He's on the brink of double figures for the season, and that's something we haven't had from a striker since Calum Gallagher. So much of what he does is good; I just wish he was a bit calmer in front of goal at times.

Speaking of our goals; how refreshing was it to see us actually deliver a cross and someone get on the end of them? All season we've fannied about and not crossed it. Or have crossed it, and nobody has been there.

David Wilson's delivery for the opening goal was a beauty. The height, the pace, the spin. Everything was on the money. Div is the best crosser at the club imo, in fact he's probably one of the best footballers there, but again his game was blighted by moments of cheaply losing the ball. And then moments of real quality.

Aaron Healy pulled off some lovely old fashioned wing play for the second too. Face up your defender, burst beyond him and cross it. The sort of thing we've not done all season. It was a nice finish from Marc Kelly too, he got himself into some good positions today and you can see why he's scored so many goals in the Lowland League. I just don't fully think he's a winger though. Everything good he does is inside.

Healy looks like the sort of player who'll do some excellent things. But also get bullied out of games. He's just so tiny and was brushed off the ball quite often. I'm looking forward to seeing him on an astro pitch mind you, because that was no surface for a speedy winger.

He really looked like he had the beating of Tam Brindley though, and it was a shame we couldn't seem to get him involved in the second-half at all. Ruth became isolated and everything became long, direct and central.

That's all the positives. But the goals we lost were absolutely terrible. A header from a corner two minutes after taking the lead when we fail to pick up Forfar's biggest goal threat? Come on, man.

The second was even worse. A cross hung in the air for ages. I thought Jay Hogarth could maybe have dealt with it. He stayed at home, Gallagher Lennon was caught in two minds, Forfar have a shot that Hogarth awkwardly saves and the rebound is put in.

Today reinforced my worries about Lennon. A lot of young defenders make mistakes and then have the pace to drag themselves out a hole. Cian Newbury (who was excellent again today, and looks a real class act) was caught out a couple of times. But recovered with a little turn of acceleration.

Lennon just doesn't have that. So he's making rookie mistakes, without the rookie benefit of a wee bit of pace to recover. Martin McNiff last season covered his lack of pace by how well he read the game. Lennon isn't at that stage yet, and I worry about him moving forward. He's a centre-half playing at full-back. I'm absolutely sure of it. And the big open park at Clyde next week will not suit him at all.

I'm Carlo Pignatiello's biggest fan, but every time he picks up the ball at right-back and mazily dribbles to left-wing before losing it I want to kick the life out of the seat in front of me. Just take a touch and cross it. Or play a one-two with your winger. You don't need to breeze beyond a few people and end up on your weak side. There's absolutely zero point to it.

Faz said post-match he was pleased with the performance and with the chances we're creating the wins will come. And I agree on the attacking sense. But every week it feels like we're conceding silly cheap goals, and that's putting even more onus on us to be clinical at the other end.

I don't think we learned a great deal more about us this afternoon. And Forfar would probably say likewise. I think they are absolutely fine as a team, but there's not a great deal of excitement in that squad. They didn't really run at us with pace all that much, there wasn't really anyone who stood out as a creative force and I think the only save Jay Hogarth has made of note is from the shot that led to the second goal.

They'll probably stay up. But a lot of that might be down to just how poor Clyde are rather than anything more. With a manager like McKinnon, I'd be expecting a lot more if I was a Loon. The league table doesn't make pretty reading, and I was quite shocked to see you guys ninth after today. Albeit I know it's been a very disappointing campaign.

11 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That game wasn't the worst spectacle in the world. Especially given the form of the two teams and the state of the pitch. It wasn't free-flowing gorgeous football. But both sides were pushing bodies forward and it would've been entertaining enough for a neutral. Or, as the guy beside me said at one stage "here, this hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be."

We had more chances, but I thought Forfar merited their point. I felt like we were on top for the first-half and at half-time I was confident we'd win if we could add a third early on. Alas we didn't, Forfar grew into the game and had been threatening an equaliser when it arrived.

Mikey Ruth's miss at the end is a howler. But I'm prepared to cut him some slack on the basis that I thought he had another very good game today. It's just a shame he was left so isolated and doing his best with big punts for large spells of the second-half.

He took his goal superbly and I hope the miss doesn't dent his confidence. He's on the brink of double figures for the season, and that's something we haven't had from a striker since Calum Gallagher. So much of what he does is good; I just wish he was a bit calmer in front of goal at times.

Speaking of our goals; how refreshing was it to see us actually deliver a cross and someone get on the end of them? All season we've fannied about and not crossed it. Or have crossed it, and nobody has been there.

David Wilson's delivery for the opening goal was a beauty. The height, the pace, the spin. Everything was on the money. Div is the best crosser at the club imo, in fact he's probably one of the best footballers there, but again his game was blighted by moments of cheaply losing the ball. And then moments of real quality.

Aaron Healy pulled off some lovely old fashioned wing play for the second too. Face up your defender, burst beyond him and cross it. The sort of thing we've not done all season. It was a nice finish from Marc Kelly too, he got himself into some good positions today and you can see why he's scored so many goals in the Lowland League. I just don't fully think he's a winger though. Everything good he does is inside.

Healy looks like the sort of player who'll do some excellent things. But also get bullied out of games. He's just so tiny and was brushed off the ball quite often. I'm looking forward to seeing him on an astro pitch mind you, because that was no surface for a speedy winger.

He really looked like he had the beating of Tam Brindley though, and it was a shame we couldn't seem to get him involved in the second-half at all. Ruth became isolated and everything became long, direct and central.

That's all the positives. But the goals we lost were absolutely terrible. A header from a corner two minutes after taking the lead when we fail to pick up Forfar's biggest goal threat? Come on, man.

The second was even worse. A cross hung in the air for ages. I thought Jay Hogarth could maybe have dealt with it. He stayed at home, Gallagher Lennon was caught in two minds, Forfar have a shot that Hogarth awkwardly saves and the rebound is put in.

Today reinforced my worries about Lennon. A lot of young defenders make mistakes and then have the pace to drag themselves out a hole. Cian Newbury (who was excellent again today, and looks a real class act) was caught out a couple of times. But recovered with a little turn of acceleration.

Lennon just doesn't have that. So he's making rookie mistakes, without the rookie benefit of a wee bit of pace to recover. Martin McNiff last season covered his lack of pace by how well he read the game. Lennon isn't at that stage yet, and I worry about him moving forward. He's a centre-half playing at full-back. I'm absolutely sure of it. And the big open park at Clyde next week will not suit him at all.

I'm Carlo Pignatiello's biggest fan, but every time he picks up the ball at right-back and mazily dribbles to left-wing before losing it I want to kick the life out of the seat in front of me. Just take a touch and cross it. Or play a one-two with your winger. You don't need to breeze beyond a few people and end up on your weak side. There's absolutely zero point to it.

Faz said post-match he was pleased with the performance and with the chances we're creating the wins will come. And I agree on the attacking sense. But every week it feels like we're conceding silly cheap goals, and that's putting even more onus on us to be clinical at the other end.

I don't think we learned a great deal more about us this afternoon. And Forfar would probably say likewise. I think they are absolutely fine as a team, but there's not a great deal of excitement in that squad. They didn't really run at us with pace all that much, there wasn't really anyone who stood out as a creative force and I think the only save Jay Hogarth has made of note is from the shot that led to the second goal.

They'll probably stay up. But a lot of that might be down to just how poor Clyde are rather than anything more. With a manager like McKinnon, I'd be expecting a lot more if I was a Loon. The league table doesn't make pretty reading, and I was quite shocked to see you guys ninth after today. Albeit I know it's been a very disappointing campaign.

You are spot on regarding Carlo. I lost count of the the amount of times he just ran himself into trouble today. It’s almost like he feels like he needs to do it all himself because he knows he’s one of the best players in the team. Just release the fucking ball 5 steps earlier!

34 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Ffs of course he did :lol: He’s never bothered if we don’t win.

Edited by FifeSons

3 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

He is offside (not called) but for f**k sake that's horrific he's about 1 yard out 

Be interesting to see if the flag would’ve gone up if it went in. Given our midden of a pitch, maybe our players need to start practicing finishing like how keepers train for deflected shots.

Its so frustrating watching us haemorrage points like we do.Thats another 2 thrown away.SF not that bothered .We are like a broken record.We need to seriously apply pressure on the board to remove him.Its glaringly obvious he isntup to it.Our shape yesterday was totally gone in the 2nd half and our defending, despite having decent defenders, is woeful.A paradox only SF can explain.He is way out of his depth at managerial level.If we had a  Dick Campbell we would win this league with relative ease.Gary Naysmith is proving my point at Stenny ..a good manager at this level with a decent squad, running away with it.

Thought Healy was decent yesterday along with Ruth , Carlo and Div.Actually thought Blair Malcolm was decent enough ysterday picking up and winning a lot in midfield.Secong half our shape went to shit and the midfield disappeared literally.Lennon was decent enough going forward but has no pace and is caught out of position time and again.Playoffs is the best we can get but it is not a given.If we do make it I cant honestly see it ending any different to the last 2 seasons.

FARRELL OUT.

12 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Be interesting to see if the flag would’ve gone up if it went in. Given our midden of a pitch, maybe our players need to start practicing finishing like how keepers train for deflected shots.

Forfar player was pretty much on the line at the corner flag.  No way was that offside.