Dumbarton vs Forfar

13 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

I wasn’t aware live streams on a Saturday afternoon were still a thing or even allowed.

They are allowed for overseas viewers, aka folk using any form of VPN. 

I have very little interest in this unfortunately but I might try and pop down if time permits. I’m hoping we shake things up a bit but I’m not sure how. I really don’t rate the likes of Aaron Lynas (even at right back), Hilton or Wilson so I have no idea what I’d do with the starting 11. I’m maybe unfairly judging the lad but I thought Lennon looked a real weak link against Stenny and Blair Malcolm always impressed me at LB for Rovers so perhaps he’s an option there. 

In all honesty no matter what we do I don’t think it will make a huge difference. Even outwith the managers obvious flaws a lot of the players aren’t contributing nearly enough. 

1 hour ago, tbsouth said:

How's the pitch, weather not good tomorrow and we are setting off at 6.50am on Saturday so no silly 10am inspections please..😆

That is a very early time to be leaving tbf, you’ll be in Dumbarton before the pubs open! There is no chance there will be any inspection before 9 IMO. 

The weather forecast doesn’t look too bad here but the pitch is a fucking midden so anything could happen.

edited to add - I just clocked your username and assume you aren’t actually travelling from Forfar.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

I think this is a really big game for us; not because Stevie Farrell's position is in any doubt, but because it represents a crossroads in our season. Around this time last year we went from having a bumpy run of form to the wheels well and truly coming off. 

Since the turn of the year we've played six, won one, drawn one and lost four. After six games in 2023 we'd won two, drawn one and lost three. So if we lose this one then history isn't repeating itself exactly - it's actually a worse start to the year. One win in our last seven (all comps) is our worst form since we returned to League Two.

A win tomorrow would also draw us level on games with Bonnyrigg, and put us nine points clear with a far better goal difference. That, imo, will be enough of a buffer to keep a playoff place. I can't see them (or anyone winning three more games than us from the remaining 14, unless our form dips to catastrophic levels of bad (e.g we win three. Even if we win 5/14 I can't see any club below us winning more than 50% of their remaining fixtures).

I thought we played well against Stenny last week for the most part; but Gallagher Lennon at left-back worries me, as does how difficult we make it look to kick a bit of rubber and plastic between two big white sticks.

I said on our thread I'd like to see Faz shake things up a bit, and I'd stand by that. I hope Aaron Healy starts for one thing, and I hope we get someone closer to Michael Ruth so that when he's running the channels or holding play up then there's actually a point to it. I also wouldn't be averse to starting Blair Malcolm at left-back. In fact that's somewhere I'd go as far as saying I'd like to see him play given how much he impressed me for Albion Rovers.

It's one thing saying 'Just win, Sons' - but I'm hopeful of a decent performance to go with it. This squad has potential, but they are so inconsistent and you never know what's coming. A repeat of the last two games against the Loons would go down a treat.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think this is a really big game for us; not because Stevie Farrell's position is in any doubt, but because it represents a crossroads in our season. Around this time last year we went from having a bumpy run of form to the wheels well and truly coming off. 

Since the turn of the year we've played six, won one, drawn one and lost four. After six games in 2023 we'd won two, drawn one and lost three. So if we lose this one then history isn't repeating itself exactly - it's actually a worse start to the year. One win in our last seven (all comps) is our worst form since we returned to League Two.

A win tomorrow would also draw us level on games with Bonnyrigg, and put us nine points clear with a far better goal difference. That, imo, will be enough of a buffer to keep a playoff place. I can't see them (or anyone winning three more games than us from the remaining 14, unless our form dips to catastrophic levels of bad (e.g we win three. Even if we win 5/14 I can't see any club below us winning more than 50% of their remaining fixtures).

I thought we played well against Stenny last week for the most part; but Gallagher Lennon at left-back worries me, as does how difficult we make it look to kick a bit of rubber and plastic between two big white sticks.

I said on our thread I'd like to see Faz shake things up a bit, and I'd stand by that. I hope Aaron Healy starts for one thing, and I hope we get someone closer to Michael Ruth so that when he's running the channels or holding play up then there's actually a point to it. I also wouldn't be averse to starting Blair Malcolm at left-back. In fact that's somewhere I'd go as far as saying I'd like to see him play given how much he impressed me for Albion Rovers.

It's one thing saying 'Just win, Sons' - but I'm hopeful of a decent performance to go with it. This squad has potential, but they are so inconsistent and you never know what's coming. A repeat of the last two games against the Loons would go down a treat.

Agree with this, Jan. I think if we lose tomorrow, serious questions are asked about whether we even make the playoffs. Forfar, for example, would've gained 10 points on us in 7 games. Who knows how bad it could be after another 14 games...

Though, tbh, I'm almost beyond caring now while Farrell remains in the job (or, at least, I wish I didn't care!).

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think this is a really big game for us; not because Stevie Farrell's position is in any doubt, but because it represents a crossroads in our season.

What we have is a decent team in inconsistent form versus a poor team that have grinded out some decent form (in the most boring way possible).

This could be 0-0 as both teams can attest to this quote: 

"how difficult we make it look to kick a bit of rubber and plastic between two big white sticks."

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I’m with you on Blair Malcolm at left back but Farrell obviously doesn’t see him as a left back (despite being very impressive there for Rovers last season). He’s had a few opportunities to play him there and in classic Farrell fashion he chooses the immobile central midfielder who has never been known as a left back to fill that position. 

No Blair or Orsi for the sons outside of the usual long term injuries. Is Healy actually a winger? Figure it should be him or Kelly instead of Orsi. Or we'll go peak Fazball and put Gray out there again

12 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

What's the precipitation been like there today...meant to rain most of the night

We've not had a game off this season, so I'd be cautiously optimistic that it will go ahead despite the constant rain on a pitch that looks like the Somme probably. Although I live miles away from G82, so I've no idea how bad it is down there.

Giving this one a miss, will be only the 3rd game of the season I have missed.

Not even going to spend the £10 to watch the link, I just can't justify spending another penny watching a team going out with the sole purpose of defending and zero intention of going out and trying to actually attack and win the game.

Hoping for a win. but can only see either an absolutely horrific 0-0 or a Dumbarton win.

38 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

What's the precipitation been like there today...meant to rain most of the night

It's been dreich here - some rain and wind but no downpours - and the forecast is much the same overnight.  Unless the pitch is really scabby I expect it to go ahead.

Fully expecting a dire match on our hopeless shit-tip of a pitch. A narrow Forfar victory feels like the most likely outcome but it could slide either way. The only thing we can be sure of is that the spectacle will be awful.