I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

17 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

I watched Blade Runner on first release. I thought it quite simply a classic, as is the dying scene with Rutger Hauer. As I recall, those lines were not in the script, but ad libbed, or suggested, by Hauer.

Years later, I was very surprised that it had performed poorly at the box office.

I've read some of the various discussions about the voice over.  For me, the voice over added to the noir atmosphere, and that the studio executives were right to insist to Ridley Scott that it be included.

Blade Runner 2049. Nope, not for me, except for a few parts.

As I understand, the motives of the producers/financiers was to make lots of money off the back of the now cult classic original.

Not to make a worthy follow up.   Despite that I did find the scenes of interaction with the hologram lover convincing.

Much of the rest of the film was just too much CGI.

Edited by beefybake

Once saw a guy get used as a landing strip for guys on their BMX's. Pretty harrowing. As was the next day when he turned up looking like the elephant man and proceeded to stab two of the guys from the day before. I was about 8 years old.

There's undoubtedly been worse stuff but as you grow older you kind of get used to it - build a tolerance - but that blockbuster of a weekend has lived a long time in my mind.

Edit : just read the thread. Should have realised when I seen who posted it. My bad, G's.

Edited by Derry Alli

17 hours ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

Blade Runner was voted into 7th place in P&B's 100 Greatest Films of All Time.

Blade Runner 2049 was 35th.

Not just overrated then, but officially overrated.

There’s an area in Dunfermline called “the cottage inn”. Natives of a certain vintage will know the place. There’s a T junction there, I once seen a car turn right into Aberdour road and get hit by another car going straight ahead. Both drivers jumped out their cars and ran away. 

20 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Edit : just read the thread. Should have realised when I seen who posted it. My bad, G's.

FFS, I’ve just read the thread too. 
oh well, someone will maybe get a laugh at it. 

On 14/02/2024 at 13:23, mathematics said:

I fell asleep watching Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. Dull.

I nodded off during the original on VHS in the mid-Nineties and never got around to seeing it again. Can't remember if I was bored or just tired, but I've been meaning to give it another shot for decades. Also can't remember if I saw the cinema version or the Director's Cut that was new at the time.

I was conscious for the "wake up; time to die" line, which I knew from Babyteeth by Therapy? and did the DiCaprio OUaTiH GIF for. Did similar when watching The Devil in Miss Jones for the first time, albeit not with my finger.

On 13/02/2024 at 22:38, Salt n Vinegar said:

"What, exactly, is the function of a rubber duck?"

Apparently there are two different functions for a rubber duck, depending on whether you are giving it to a small child or a computer programmer.