What happened to top striker partnerships?

9 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Brewster and Crawford were a great big player wee player partnership, so was Dykes and Dobbie for QoTS Dykes very underrated in how important he was to Dobbie. Lawless and Dykes formed a good partnership at Livi too.

Dykes and Dobbie used to ragdoll us in season 18/19 I think it was for QOTS.  It's just the rest of the team were dogshit so we usually beat them.

15 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Brewster and Crawford were a great big player wee player partnership, so was Dykes and Dobbie for QoTS Dykes very underrated in how important he was to Dobbie. Lawless and Dykes formed a good partnership at Livi too.

You played Lawless as striker?

Aye Brewster and Crawford were ridiculous. I remember Crawford in an interview at the time he got called up for Scotland. He said he wasn't suddenly a better striker just because he was scoring more goals. He said he always made the same runs and movements but now in Brewster he had a partner who anticipated them. It's bonkers Brewster never got capped at that time.

Brewster was brilliant. We used to play him and Dargo/Wyness and that combination of the 3 was lethal for us.

Edited by TheScarf

Tommy Coyne and Keith Wright getting the correct amount of credit in this thread. Cobra and the Mongoose. Slightly before my time but clear that Coyne was quality when he went on to be an absolute cult hero at Motherwell as well. Not often you can get that sort of status at one club nevermind two.

As for Riordan, I always remember he tried to take a quick shot for a free kick in which Julian Speroni needed to pull off a stunning save to keep out. The referee pulled it back as he wasn't ready and Riordan then proceeded to use his other foot and dispatch the free kick right into the top corner. He was a top talent. The Leigh Griffiths 1.0 - there's a lot of similarities between the pair. Strange that Hibs have produced 3 strikers (Griffiths came through at Livi and then Dundee but still a big Hibs fan) that have absolutely wasted their careers and should have did more in the game. All 3 could've been top talents. Griffiths did have a good spell at Celtic but his career was pretty much done as he got into his 30s. Such a waste.

As for more modern Dundee pairings, Kane Hemmings and Greg Stewart is hard to look past.

Not so much a pairing but Fabian Cabalerro and Juan Sara are probably my all time favourite Dundee strikers.

Finally, the utterly bizarre link up of Willie Falconer and Claudio Caniggia.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tommy Coyne and Keith Wright getting the correct amount of credit in this thread. Cobra and the Mongoose. Slightly before my time but clear that Coyne was quality when he went on to be an absolute cult hero at Motherwell as well. Not often you can get that sort of status at one club nevermind two.

Not even a cult hero. Just a straight up hero for 'well fans of a certain vintage ie: many of the posters on our thread.

61 goals in 156 games. Part of of a team that finished league runners up and finished the top scorer in the league that season. Played at a World Cup while on our books.

Some boi.

Hall-of-fame-tommy-coyne-16x9-1-scaled_7

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Darren said:

I never got the hype with Riordan. Always felt O'Connor was a superior player.

And in terms of Hibby jakeballs from around Drylaw, Griffiths was better too.

Riordan was a far better player than O'Connor.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

You played Lawless as striker?

Lol right enough, yeah he was a winger, but formed a good partnership with Dykes, scoring and setting up goals.

Dykes scored 12 goals and Lawless 11 2019/20 season.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Steven Fletcher was always a far better player than Riordan. The fact Riordan was a scallywag is what got him the notion that he wasted his talent. Boys like Gary Harkins were better than him.

42 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Finally, the utterly bizarre link up of Willie Falconer and Claudio Caniggia.

Hahaha. Its criminal that Willie Falconer improved Claudio Caniggia's game. Fucking mental thinking back. Good Times.

4 hours ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

Riordan was a far better player than O'Connor.

There's an argument he should have been, based on raw talent, but he wasn't.

O'Connor playing consistently at a higher level for a few years (despite being a self-confessed waster) is testament to that.

21 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Prso and Novo & Boyd and Miller. 

Also not from my team obviously but Crouch and Defoe were very aesthetically pleasing.

Like the consistency of naming 3 different partnership from 3 different clubs but did Boyd and Miller not struggle in your Championship loser season? 

27 minutes ago, Darren said:

There's an argument he should have been, based on raw talent, but he wasn't.

O'Connor playing consistently at a higher level for a few years (despite being a self-confessed waster) is testament to that.

Riordan was a better goalscorer (and a scorer of great goals), was two footed and could play wider or deeper.

O'Connor was much more one-dimensional. He certainly played at a higher level for a few years, but Riordan had the opportunity to play in Russia, Germany and England as well (but never went as he preferred bamming around with his arsehole pals). He would have easily matched O'Connor's modest efforts at those levels.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Not even a cult hero. Just a straight up hero for 'well fans of a certain vintage ie: many of the posters on our thread.

61 goals in 156 games. Part of of a team that finished league runners up and finished the top scorer in the league that season. Played at a World Cup while on our books.

Some boi.

Hall-of-fame-tommy-coyne-16x9-1-scaled_7

The only player to be top premier  division  scorer  for 3 different clubs I believe