Killie v Aberdeen, 24/02/2024

11 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think it was the run of ten games without a goal that done him....and his £17k a week was never going to be sustainable...but yeah, he got sacked because he was winning without flair, that sounds like what all is old Oldco mates would've said on the radio

I know it's a dull polarising subject (in an era of them), but there are two sides to it.

We were 4th (in the empty stadia season), which was being talked about as "failure", "disappointing" etc etc. They had played some really good stuff with the Hedges, Wright and Watkins triumvirate being anything but 'stone age' in style.  All three of those players ended up being unavailable and then the Scotland U21 Covid thing took Ferguson/McCrorie out for a while too - whilst Joe turned into the 2024 Roos. 

Yes, there was that series of dire games, the three deadline day amigos and the feeling things had run their course - but the fact the four years since have been like this has come as no surprise to many of us.  The 'philosophy'' has gone from open expansive Atlanta-ball to watching a mid-70s Neil Warnock come up for a bit of giggle.

A couple of poor results in the coming weeks and McInnes'' bitchslapping of Cormack will have reached new levels.  Hopefully that can somehow be avoided.

Everything that’s happened since mcinnes left is independent of that decision. 

He is a good manager, doing a good job with Killie, which should be of no surprise to anyone. But Aberdeen and Derek mcinnes parted ways for reasons that made sense to all parties.

For the love of god please can we leave it in the past. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Everything that’s happened since mcinnes left is independent of that decision. 

He is a good manager, doing a good job with Killie, which should be of no surprise to anyone. But Aberdeen and Derek mcinnes parted ways for reasons that made sense to all parties.

For the love of god please can we leave it in the past. 

Happy to.

I made a comment about Jimmy Calderwood getting sacked for being 4th and playing apparent 'dull' football - and got jumped on regarding a completely different manager, for whom I partially agree with your comments.

5 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Happy to.

I made a comment about Jimmy Calderwood getting sacked for being 4th and playing apparent 'dull' football - and got jumped on regarding a completely different manager, for whom I partially agree with your comments.

Well played 🤣

I think it was the right time for McInnes to leave Aberdeen given that Cormack had his own ideas about recruitment etc and didn't want his manager basically running the club from top to bottom (even though time has shown that McInnes was better at each of the individual jobs than any of the various people Cormack has tried to hire to replace him).

However, it's a bit much to see people trying to justify sacking an incredibly successful manager off the back of a really short run of bad results. It's one thing binning a Robson or Glass for a poor run of results, given that neither had ever done anything to show they could turn it around, but I think someone with McInnes' track record deserved to get until the end of the season and then leave on his own terms.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think it was the right time for McInnes to leave Aberdeen given that Cormack had his own ideas about recruitment etc and didn't want his manager basically running the club from top to bottom (even though time has shown that McInnes was better at each of the individual jobs than any of the various people Cormack has tried to hire to replace him).

However, it's a bit much to see people trying to justify sacking an incredibly successful manager off the back of a really short run of bad results. It's one thing binning a Robson or Glass for a poor run of results, given that neither had ever done anything to show they could turn it around, but I think someone with McInnes' track record deserved to get until the end of the season and then leave on his own terms.

It had been various shades of the same rubbish in the previous 2 seasons - poor standard of football, reliance on the league being appalling, and finishing behind Kilmarnock one year and Motherwell the next (league truncated by Covid). Things had gone completely stale and it was obvious by looking at him or listening to his press conferences that he wasn't the dynamic manager we had 2013-2018 and it was time to go - Glass coming in at least gave us a head start for the following season, as badly as the ended up going.

Really, McInnes should've got a decent offer down south sometime between 2016 and 2018 and left. For whatever reason it was only basket case clubs who made moves for him, and the result was that he stayed long past his shelf life, in the same way that Jimmy Calderwood did.

Not one of the managers we've had in since have been good managers, which is why the latter part of his reign looks better than it actually was. We should hire a good manager next time.

Edited by anotherchance

14 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'd imagine we would have kept him but his fitness record in his last season made it hard.

Touch wood, he seems to be well over his hamstring and foot injury this season, he's only missed the one game so far and he's taken a few right hard knocks but he's always available for the next game.

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm sorry but the man McInnes demanded be in the head of recruitment role is nowhere near the level of the last two we've had.

23 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'm sorry but the man McInnes demanded be in the head of recruitment role is nowhere near the level of the last two we've had.

Mcinnes favoured head of recruitment seemed to have 2 remits:

(1) Find players that Mcinnes had worked with at ANY point in the past.

(2) Preferable ones overcoming a serious knee injury

9 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Touch wood, he seems to be well over his hamstring and foot injury this season, he's only missed the one game so far and he's taken a few right hard knocks but he's always available for the next game.

He wasn't good enough to start anymore so playing here and there off the bench probably didn't help him in the slightest. 

Funnily enough he could probably easily do a job off the wing under the new manager!

I was also a big Watkins fan, and think he would have been more useful than Sokler and certainly Gueye in the short-term. There is probably a case to say that McGrath has been able to do some of the stuff to a higher standard that he did well for us despite being different players, but a partnership of a fit Watkins and this season’s Miovski would have been an interesting proposition. 

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

If you're talking about Russ Richardson, then he is now our head of recruitment and has overseen probably our best single season of recruitment I've ever seen. Meanwhile Aberdeen have been spunking close to half a million quid on folk like Gueye who has then barely had a kick and been out the door. Aberdeen have certainly brought in some very good players, particularly Miovski and Ramadani, but your recruitment under McInnes was mostly very good too up until that last season where he went daft in January and signed three dumpling strikers in one day.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If you're talking about Russ Richardson, then he is now our head of recruitment and has overseen probably our best single season of recruitment I've ever seen. Meanwhile Aberdeen have been spunking close to half a million quid on folk like Gueye who has then barely had a kick and been out the door. Aberdeen have certainly brought in some very good players, particularly Miovski and Ramadani, but your recruitment under McInnes was mostly very good too up until that last season where he went daft in January and signed three dumpling strikers in one day.

Any time McInnes spent money, it tended to be on injury prone dross. Forester, Gleeson, etc.

His recruitment and management had us behind clubs with much smaller budgets and nowhere near any silverware.

Also, some of the players now performing for Killie were objectively shite for Aberdeen under McInnes.

2 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

Mcinnes favoured head of recruitment seemed to have 2 remits:

(1) Find players that Mcinnes had worked with at ANY point in the past.

(2) Preferable ones overcoming a serious knee injury

Not sure Nbada, Dennis, Vassell, Van Veen, Balagizi who he's signed in the last year or so fit into that bracket. 

The problem was post 2017 where the peak mcinnes side was broken up (and subsequently the likes of McLean and shinnie too), he suffered by trying to bring in like for like replacements in terms of standard to maintain where we’d been I.e. 2nd in the league. 

I think the result of that was too many gambles on proven quality Scottish premiership players that were willing to drop back down a level due to age, injury, form or a combination of the 3. He went way too heavy on that which is why we saw them either be poor or spend their time here with the physio. 

There is a place for the mcinnes/richardson brand of recruitment and I’d rather see us have more of a balance between reliable signings (like maybe devlin/mcgrath) and project players.

The mcinnes model is usually very effective in the short term which is where killie are just now. FWIW I think he’d have been fine with a greater scouting network that we have now, he just won’t have liked the loss of control he’d have experienced.