Elgin City v Bonnyrigg Rose

After our defeat to Clyde this feels like a huge game. A loss here and we are right back in the sh*t. I'm hoping our home form will drag us through this game but could go either way I think. 

I'm still confident that we're good enough to pull away from the bottom, but another disappointing result or two and we'll back in trouble. A win on Saturday would be a big boost as we'd overtake Bonnyrigg as well as either overtaking Forfar or pulling away from Clyde.

Personally I don't think Elgin will be in the bottom 2 by the end of the season, and I would be surprised if they don't take 3 points on Saturday.

They have impressed me the last couple of times we've played, in particular Golding and Gallagher.

I'm hopeful that we can catch Bonnyrigg, however we need to take care of ourselves first and foremost and not rely on other teams dropping points !

Last trip to the Highlands this season for The Rose and so far not very profitable, so hopefully that can change today. We salvaged a deserved point at the end of the game on Tuesday after the assault on Brad for the penalty. It was great to see Kieron score a well taken opportunity and hope he can go on a scoring run till the end of the season. Again first goal all important again.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

Well done City. Deserved three points and could have been more than 1-0 today, with a few great chances stopped. 

Really glad Dangana is finding his feet now, his goal was smashing too. 

Though no 10 was good for Bonnyrigg. Pretty stop start game with the ref letting very little go

Another great trip to Borough Briggs, with the game OK. Both teams went for it but Elgin definitely had the best chances - their #9 and #10 looking particularly sharp. Thought Gormley and Mercer were decent in defence considering it was their first pairing. Paddy in goal was immense (again!!), thank goodness for him. 

The banter from the Elgin fans in the stands was brilliant, just a pity our goal was ruled out for handball - looked a good goal from where I was sitting ….. on to next week and a real 6 pointer!

Another game we made more difficult than it needed to be by not taking our chances. First half Bonnyrigg looked quite dangerous at times but second we were dominant with the wind behind and Dayshonne causing them constant problems. Jeffreys looks a very tidy player and adds to what must be one of the most composed sides on the ball in the league just now. Booth was really good again. Reminds me a bit of Archie Macphee as a left back in that his confidence will sometimes cause him to overplay, but overall it's worth it. He won a lot of headers against much bigger opponents too. Pleased for Dangana getting man of the match though. Thought he had Mailer on toast for most of it and took his goal brilliantly.

Plenty big games still to come, with the next few being a real chance to climb the table further. With the way Hale has us playing I think we've got a good chance of doing that.

On 07/03/2024 at 14:47, macclyde+ said:

Personally I don't think Elgin will be in the bottom 2 by the end of the season, and I would be surprised if they don't take 3 points on Saturday.

They have impressed me the last couple of times we've played, in particular Golding and Gallagher.

I'm hopeful that we can catch Bonnyrigg, however we need to take care of ourselves first and foremost and not rely on other teams dropping points !

Ahem....just sayin !I 

I have a feeling Elgin did us a massive favour yesterday. Realistically we now have to beat Bonnyrigg next week to stand a chance of avoiding the play-offs, and I do believe it's now a 2 horse race.

Amazing how a new manager can change a clubs fortunes, Elgin were probably favourites to finish bottom prior to Hale coming in, he's done a great job so far. 

2 hours ago, macclyde+ said:

Amazing how a new manager can change a clubs fortunes, Elgin were probably favourites to finish bottom prior to Hale coming in, he's done a great job so far. 

A strange comment in my opinion. Both teams got new managers roughly at the same time with your choice being a very experienced man. Also why would we have been favourites to go down as we'd only been bottom for about three games (on goal difference from Clyde who'd played a game more) whereas Clyde to returned bottom and have been in that position for the past sixteen games. We were four points clear of Clyde when Hale took over.

Are we still in danger of being bottom? Most definitely. Favourites? Nope.

I get what the Clyde lad is saying. I think without the change of Manager, with the squad we had, there was not a chance in hell we would not have finished bottom. Fair play to Hale for what he has done but maybe not a popular opinion , I  think credit is also due to the board who have obviously backed him. A lot still to play for though and nothing done and dusted yet. Any of the bottom 4 or 5 could go on a run one way or the other. Suspensions and injuries can greatly affect a team at this stage.