Artificial pitch vote

11 minutes ago, bennett said:

If we're being honest the two premiership teams with artificial pitches were taking the P with their pitches. Some of the lower leagues sides actually have some decent looking pitches that football can be played on.

Based on what, though? f**k me. Who cares how they look?

13 minutes ago, bennett said:

A possible compromise could have been a new set of quality standards for them.

There. Are. Quality. Standards. They match UEFA's.

12 minutes ago, bennett said:

If we're being honest the two premiership teams with artificial pitches were taking the P with their pitches. Some of the lower leagues sides actually have some decent looking pitches that football can be played on.

A possible compromise could have been a new set of quality standards for them.

How would you know? You just believe tv commentators as gospel, try actually witnessing a game in person.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Because if you are a Falkirk or a Raith Rovers who are chasing promotion, then you are going to think twice about putting down a surface you might have to pull up a year later.

I get that but some seem to be saying (if I understand them) that it means community artificial pitches etc will be dug up which I don't get at all. 

15 minutes ago, bennett said:

Some of the lower leagues sides actually have... pitches that football can be played on.

I'm going to assume the majority of your experience of watching games on artificial surfaces is in games where those clubs are playing against Rangers.

Do you honestly think that the playing surface is the major factor in a game of David v Goliath not exactly being a 90-minute display of free flowing football?

Seen plenty decent football played on artificial surfaces in the lower leagues because when teams are more evenly matched then this is a realistic prospect. The worst game of football I saw this season, incidentally, was on an absolute bowling green of a grass surface.

2 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I get that but some seem to be saying (if I understand them) that it means community artificial pitches etc will be dug up which I don't get at all. 

Falkirk rent their artificial pitch out to the community (general public).

If they switch to grass then that is one less quality pitch the community has access too.

13 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

How would you know? You just believe tv commentators as gospel, try actually witnessing a game in person.

The pitch at rugby park used to be excellent,  what Killie have now is embarrassing. 

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Will be astonished if it wasn't 10-2 in favour, with the two being the obvious two. Actually also wouldn't be shocked if we'd voted in favour and it was 11-1.

The Killie vote will be interesting. Even if they have voluntarily given up the artificial pitch and the result was in no doubt anyway, it would still be used to make the self-interest argument...

15 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Scottish football doing stupid shit and having fans cheer them on whilst doing it. Colour me surprised...

Not Scottish football. Only the 12 SPL teams doing stupid shit as the rest of Scottish football doesn't mater to them. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

In time this will see the pitches at Airdrie, Falkirk, Dumfries, Hamilton, Kirkcaldy and Livingston replaced by grass which will only be used for first-team and select other matches... displacing all training and community/youth/etc. users.

EDIT: it also impacts the semi-professional game as Clyde, East Stirlingshire, Glasgow University plus half-a-dozen womens teams (including Celtic Ladies) will probably be rendered homeless.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I'm in 2 minds about this.  On one hand yeah I agree this is a really strange one from the top flight, the top of the range artificial surfaces are superb and can be more reliable than grass.  With regards to injuries to pros and young players, the clubs, their players, and the academies all need to take a bit of personal responsibility.  I've lost count the times I've watched live or highlights of games played on artificial pitches and thought "that player's wearing the wrong boots", so it's no wonder injuries occur.

On the other hand though, Morton have been frequently praised over the last decade for having one of the best natural playing surfaces in the country (with the exception of one season).  So if we can keep a pitch in decent nick I don't see why so many other clubs are greeting about maintenance.

12 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Clubs being subservient to the wishes of the bigots? Shocker.

You're kidding yourself on if you think this is about the Premiership clubs bending for Celtic and Rangers.

I'd imagine there's a huge amount of disdain for artificial surfaces amongst the boardrooms of the top flight clubs off the back of Livi and Killie's carpets.

Will they release the breakdown of votes? It'd be interesting to see if any club saw the bigger picture.

As it is I'll be happy to see grass back at Rugby Park but i fully expect the first 2 seasons to be a riot with postponements, poor surface etc.

I will miss the seethe that the astro generates though.

Just now, Pizzo said:

Will they release the breakdown of votes? It'd be interesting to see if any club saw the bigger picture.

As it is I'll be happy to see grass back at Rugby Park but i fully expect the first 2 seasons to be a riot with postponements, poor surface etc.

I will miss the seethe that the astro generates though.

a killi fan should not get involved in this, your asto is worse then Luton's in the 80's

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

a killi fan should not get involved in this, your asto is worse then Luton's in the 80's

It really isn't.

It's plays fine when we soak it before games. We just tend to forget to do that when we play either cheek at home. Sadly these are usually the tv games so everyone just assumes it's terrible all the time.

Edited by Pizzo

2 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

Your football team is even worse. 

Just now, Arab_R_us said:

I've spoken to player who have played on it. Even for Astro its seen as a fucking disgrace.

You have never spoken to a player I your life.