Strongest 11/McGregor/Ferguson conundrum

19 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I recall being mocked here, from pillar to post, when I suggested that Scotland play with three at the back. It was when Levein was in charge.

The argument were "our players don't play with three at club level", "four at the back is the best system", etc.

Even though Scotland hadn't qualified for a tournament for 22 years with a back four.

Typical herd mentality stuff. All torches and pitchforks and no braincells.

Five managers come and go, all trying the same thing and expecting different result.

Steve Clarke comes in. When he realises that Scotland can't play with a back four, he changes to a three and sticks to it.

Cut to four years later and Scotland have played in two European championship and got within a whisker of a World Cup.

I don't see those detractors around here anymore. Or if they are, they are rather quiet.

They sure as hell aren't coaching professionally.

You'll excuse me if I take no notice of derision.

I feel completely vindicated.

This is unhinged.

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Exactly.

"Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities." ~ Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde never even coached professionally.

49 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I recall being mocked here, from pillar to post, when I suggested that Scotland play with three at the back. It was when Levein was in charge.

The argument were "our players don't play with three at club level", "four at the back is the best system", etc.

Even though Scotland hadn't qualified for a tournament for 22 years with a back four.

Five managers come and go, all trying the same thing and expecting different result.

Steve Clarke comes in. When he realises that Scotland can't play with a back four, he changes to a three and sticks to it.

Cut to four years later and Scotland have played in two European championship and got within a whisker of a World Cup.

I don't see those detractors around here anymore. Or if they are, they are rather quiet.

Aye you’re a genius. Let’s just ignore that the players under Levein were completely different to the ones playing in a back 3 just now.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Well done. You stuck to your guns, took the hits, bided your time and are the last man standing 10 years later. That must feel that bit sweeter. You were proved right in the end, so here's to you Slayer. Top marks.

Now you're back, welcomed back into the fold to reclaim your rightful place dispensing the contents of your brain and the nuggets of wisdom hidden within. Thank you.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Mind blowing analysis, you're a genius bro. How did you come up with playing 3 at the back?

21 hours ago, SlayerX said:

You think you’re some sort of fitba savant for suggesting a team could *checks notes* play three at the back?

For all the people taking the piss because I'm suggesting not to play with a traditional striker.

Manchester United are currently beating Manchester City 2-0 without a traditional striker.

Some people should think instead of instantly pouring cold water.

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

For all the people taking the piss because I'm suggesting not to play with a traditional striker.

Manchester United are currently beating Manchester City 2-0 without a traditional striker.

Playing a false nine is a very feasible way of playing football in this day and age. Too many people scream “CRAIG LEVEIN!!!” without realising his 4-6-0 shitfest was completely different to a false nine dropping deep to join the build up.

McTominay as false nine would be a valid move imo, particularly if none of the strikers are looking sharp and both Gilmour and Christie are (Usually it’s either Gilmour or Christie that start for us along with McGregor, McGinn, McTominay and one centre forward). 

I still lean towards Dykes or Adams playing but wouldn’t shock me if it’s tried out at some point. 

7 hours ago, SlayerX said:

I dont think anyone is saying we can't play without a traditional striker, it may work, it may not, who the f**k knows. 

It's more to do with the lack of credibility you have on here due to your posts just being idiotic. No offence. 

10 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

I dont think anyone is saying we can't play without a traditional striker, it may work, it may not, who the f**k knows. 

It's more to do with the lack of credibility you have on here due to your posts just being idiotic. No offence. 

Nobody is really taking the piss out of the false nine shout. The poster suggesting they’re revolutionary and invented the back three however… 

McTominay playing at centre-forward would not be a false nine, he would be a midfielder playing as a traditional nine. A false nine is when you pick a ball playing attacking midfielder as a nominal centre-forward but then they play most of the game in a deeper area and create space for wide attackers or runners from the middle.

If we put Stuart Armstrong or Ryan Christie there then they might be a false nine, but even that would be pushing it.

30 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McTominay playing at centre-forward would not be a false nine, he would be a midfielder playing as a traditional nine. A false nine is when you pick a ball playing attacking midfielder as a nominal centre-forward but then they play most of the game in a deeper area and create space for wide attackers or runners from the middle.

If we put Stuart Armstrong or Ryan Christie there then they might be a false nine, but even that would be pushing it.

Yep like a Fabregas or Messi type 

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

When you put it like that, Che Adams is basically a false nine.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/28135273/man-utd-ten-hag-tactics-mctominay-position-city/

No idea why it was a "shock", as United have used the 4-2-2-2 system against Newcastle and Brighton in in the EPL (and won both).*

A 3-4-1-2 with the front 2 being false 9s and dropping deep to help the midfield in an off-the-ball transition is a feasible option, especially against Germany.

It's the only way that I can see Scotland getting anything.

Playing against Musiala and Kroos we're going to have to flood the midfield like United did against Rodri and De Bruye.

Craig Brown did something similar at France 98, with a back three and Durie and Gallagher dropping back.

Almost got us a point against Brazil.

*In fairness, it is the Sun.

On 25/05/2024 at 15:49, JS_FFC said:

Playing a false nine is a very feasible way of playing football in this day and age. Too many people scream “CRAIG LEVEIN!!!” without realising his 4-6-0 shitfest was completely different to a false nine dropping deep to join the build up.

McTominay as false nine would be a valid move imo, particularly if none of the strikers are looking sharp and both Gilmour and Christie are (Usually it’s either Gilmour or Christie that start for us along with McGregor, McGinn, McTominay and one centre forward). 

I still lean towards Dykes or Adams playing but wouldn’t shock me if it’s tried out at some point. 

Totally agree. Great post!

There's a reason why possession based and progressive football is taking over.

There are still fans who are all "4-4-2 with long balls and get as many crosses in as possible!"

These fans want to burn at the stake anyone who comes out with a progressive idea.

A lot of Scotland fans were dead against a back three. Most in fact. Thank God that Mr Clarke went back to Craig Brown's 90s blueprints, if he didn't then Euro 2020 wouldn't have happened and neither would Euro 2024.

A lot of people here just want to make silly derisory comments with the intention of looking funny and/or hard than actually think.

28 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/28135273/man-utd-ten-hag-tactics-mctominay-position-city/

No idea why it was a "shock", as United have used the 4-2-2-2 system against Newcastle and Brighton in in the EPL (and won both).*

A 3-4-1-2 with the front 2 being false 9s and dropping deep to help the midfield in an off-the-ball transition is a feasible option, especially against Germany.

It's the only way that I can see Scotland getting anything.

Playing against Musiala and Kroos we're going to have to flood the midfield like United did against Rodri and De Bruye.

Craig Brown did something similar at France 98, with a back three and Durie and Gallagher dropping back.

Almost got us a point against Brazil.

*In fairness, it is the Sun.

Man united were playing a four at the back, we will most certainly being going 5 at the back so what are you actually propsing here? McTominay to replace adams or Dykes I take it? 

Gonna be great for @SlayerX when we lose against Germany. You’ll get to proclaim it’s all because we didn’t go for the revolutionary tactical tweak that only you could possibly have thought of.