🔴🟡Thistle vs Morton🔵⚪️ 16th March 2024

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

.Also shown up in the last couple of weeks that not getting some kind of cover on the wing in January was an error, we've been lucky that Lawless and Fitzpatrick have been fit and firing for most of the season but they were both rubbish on Tuesday and Lawless hasn't been great for a few games now. The only replacements are strikers or central midfielders stuck out of position. 

That is now just ‘striker’ and a 18 year old one at that.

14 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Someone needs their jotters for the state of our pitch. We didn't play on it for nearly 5weeks and when i walked into the stadium that day i was astounded at the state of it and it has looked worse every time I've seen it. Supposed to be a 50/50 hybrid pitch, there were absolutely no issues with it last year.

Hybrid is nowhere near 50%.

The attached video states 3%

😍 New season, new surface. 🌱 The making of our state-of-the-art hybrid pitch... | By Oldham AthleticFacebook | Facebook

The little remaining faith I had in this team and in Doolan turning this around finally evaporated after Tuesday’s dire performance.

Things are now so bad that it isn’t just the perennial disappointments like Williams and Muirhead letting us down, our best players - Lawless, McMillian and Fitzpatrick have regressed at an alarming rate. We’re mentally fragile and don’t look anywhere near fit enough to carry out the sort of intensity our manager wants us to play at.

A game against a team like Morton who love to fire the ball aggressively into the box at any given opportunity is the last thing we need. They’ll have a field day. I’m just glad I won’t be there to witness it.

Genuinely at the stage where I’m not bothered at our inevitable tumble out of the play-off positions. It would only be prolonging the inevitable.

1 minute ago, Chippyminton said:

A wee laddie got arrested here for that last week 🙂

If he only started doing it in the last couple of months then we know what's happened to the lamps

2 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

Definitely not a Hydrid pitch,only the Uglies,Hampden and perhaps Hibs and Hearts are Hybrid.

Forgive my lack of knowledge - but what exactly is a hybrid pitch ? Part grass/part artificial?

Edited by Chippyminton

15 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

The little remaining faith I had in this team and in Doolan turning this around finally evaporated after Tuesday’s dire performance.

Things are now so bad that it isn’t just the perennial disappointments like Williams and Muirhead letting us down, our best players - Lawless, McMillian and Fitzpatrick have regressed at an alarming rate. We’re mentally fragile and don’t look anywhere near fit enough to carry out the sort of intensity our manager wants us to play at.

A game against a team like Morton who love to fire the ball aggressively into the box at any given opportunity is the last thing we need. They’ll have a field day. I’m just glad I won’t be there to witness it.

Genuinely at the stage where I’m not bothered at our inevitable tumble out of the play-off positions. It would only be prolonging the inevitable.

I agree on the play off spot, which probably isn't going to happen now and would be pointless anyway.  All I would say in Doolan's defence is that although we've scored a decent amount of goals, goalkeeping howlers have dogged us.  Last season Sneddon and Mitchell were both competent 6-7/10 Championship keepers and this year they're both catastrophically bad, as is the wage-thief backup.  I'm not sure that is on the manager and really it's what has cost us a lot of points. The defence has issues, but when you have three terrible GKs with zero form and confidence between them you will always be in bother and that will affect the rest of the team.

The glory days of Tam Černý are a distant memory and I'd welcome back free-agent Scott "beaten at the near post" Fox, things are that bad. I'm not even sure I am joking.

17 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Someone needs their jotters for the state of our pitch. We didn't play on it for nearly 5weeks and when i walked into the stadium that day i was astounded at the state of it and it has looked worse every time I've seen it. Supposed to be a 50/50 hybrid pitch, there were absolutely no issues with it last year.

Strong fake news here. The Firhill pitch is not and never has been hybrid.

3 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Didn’t we carry out this work in 2022 though? The pitch was completely redone in Summer of 22 once QP left and they definitely said that it was a hybrid pitch. 

No they didn't. This is what they said at the end of the 2021-22 season:

"Following our final regulation home league game of the season, Partick Thistle FC can confirm that a full renovation of the pitch at Firhill will take place at the end of the current season, commencing as soon as it fully concludes.

To help accommodate this, we have requested that our two 2022/23 Premier Sports Cup home group matches this summer are scheduled as our final two group fixtures.

We’d like to take this opportunity to thank head groundsman Allan Findlay and all his staff for their hard work all season and especially in recent months.

The club can also confirm that there will be no ground-sharing agreement in place with any other club for the 2022/23 season."

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/club-update-regarding-firhill-pitch/

24 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

No they didn't. This is what they said at the end of the 2021-22 season:

"Following our final regulation home league game of the season, Partick Thistle FC can confirm that a full renovation of the pitch at Firhill will take place at the end of the current season, commencing as soon as it fully concludes.

To help accommodate this, we have requested that our two 2022/23 Premier Sports Cup home group matches this summer are scheduled as our final two group fixtures.

We’d like to take this opportunity to thank head groundsman Allan Findlay and all his staff for their hard work all season and especially in recent months.

The club can also confirm that there will be no ground-sharing agreement in place with any other club for the 2022/23 season."

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/club-update-regarding-firhill-pitch/

It was quoted somewhere, possibly at an AGM

genuinely not something that I’ve pulled out my arse. I’ve seen it written somewhere from the club. Obviously it’s not happened yet and perhaps I assumed that this was what they would be relaying when they dug it up in summer 22.

However the pitch is still pish this season and we didn’t have half the issues we did last season and struggle to understand why - despite the fact we barely played on it the whole of January. The pitch last year never looked anywhere near as bad as it does not. 

So as a previous poster has suggested there is clearly some kind of cost cutting going on regards to the resources being made available to the ground staff. Much like everything else across the club. 

16 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

What inevitable tumble out of the play offs??

If we win this we'll have a 6 point cushion. 

Morton haven't beaten us in 3 attempts and are far from world beaters.

The pitch is shit though which doesn't help.

I'm quite worried about this. We've a host of injuries to important players, and can't afford anymore; it's a bad time to be playing against a violent thug like Brian Graham.

Hopefully we have a strong ref willing to stand up to him.

Would like us to persist with the back 3 for this. Gives Muirhead some support in the press, maximises our threat from set pieces (our only threat recently) and allows us all to marvel at Broadfoot and Graham grappling all over Firhill. 

Hoping that the Partick keeper struggles with our long throws and corners and that Adeloye isn’t available to come on and tear up our tiring defence (again).  

20 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

It was quoted somewhere, possibly at an AGM

genuinely not something that I’ve pulled out my arse. I’ve seen it written somewhere from the club. Obviously it’s not happened yet and perhaps I assumed that this was what they would be relaying when they dug it up in summer 22.

However the pitch is still pish this season and we didn’t have half the issues we did last season and struggle to understand why - despite the fact we barely played on it the whole of January. The pitch last year never looked anywhere near as bad as it does not. 

So as a previous poster has suggested there is clearly some kind of cost cutting going on regards to the resources being made available to the ground staff. Much like everything else across the club. 

Neither the minutes of the November 2022 AGM, nor the draft minutes of the January 2024 AGM, make any mention whatsoever of a hybrid pitch. You are misremembering.

As explained by others earlier, I strongly suspect that the quality of the surface is a result of the late finish to last season, and that having led to more limited works to revitalise the surface over the summer than is otherwise the norm.