Stranraer v Elgin City

I can understand why Agnew was so angry after the match in his interview. It certainly looked like a foul on Orr, although whether the contact was enough to send him to the turf is questionable. However I would have had a bit more respect for him had he mentioned an equally blatant penalty for Elgin in the first half. News for him…every team is on the receiving end of questionable decisions. Ultimately, either your team is good enough, or it isn’t.

Some of the shouts from the commentators in the highlights of this game are a mile out.

Golding is nowhere near offside in the highlight before the second goal. The booking at the start of the second half is absolutely a booking as he’s slid in and studded the top of the Elgin players foot. The one in the first half they completely miss the fact Chris Johnston pushes the Elgin player into the other Stranraer player.

What’s the story with the flag with the Bradford and Stranraer badges on it on the far side of the ground? 

43 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

That was some play acting by Dingwall and  the "Dingwall is deid" line, brilliant 😂

I heard it as "And Dingwall has died" which absolutely creased me. Especially with the deadpan delivery.

I'm assuming it was "Dingwall has dived", but I really hope it wasn't. 

Duncan Williams is an atrocious referee, and whilst I think the worst decision of the lot is not giving Elgin a penalty in the first-half, I can see why Stranraer feel aggrieved. I know exactly how he managed that game from watching those highlights.

Someone in football said to me a few months ago "the problem with Duncan is that he's just so fucking arrogant" when I was chatting about him. He's got the Andrew Dallas trait of really talking down to players and removing common sense or conversation from the situation. People should accept mistakes from a ref, they happen. I think it's far fairer to judge a referee on how they conduct themselves (Sean Murdoch the other week was absolutely superb in that regard, although I guess being an ex pro helps) and that's where Williams really struggles imo.

3 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Some of the shouts from the commentators in the highlights of this game are a mile out.

Golding is nowhere near offside in the highlight before the second goal. The booking at the start of the second half is absolutely a booking as he’s slid in and studded the top of the Elgin players foot. The one in the first half they completely miss the fact Chris Johnston pushes the Elgin player into the other Stranraer player.

What’s the story with the flag with the Bradford and Stranraer badges on it on the far side of the ground? 

They don't have replays and call it as they think they see it. I've spoken to the guys after numerous times and they always admit it when wrong. Very easy to criticise. They get one chance to see it.  Also they are just volunteers...supporters like the rest of us on the media team.

We have supporters all over just like any club. We have a few guys who support Bradford and Stranraer. They come up now and again.

Edited by Blue1870

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I heard it as "And Dingwall has died" which absolutely creased me. Especially with the deadpan delivery.

I'm assuming it was "Dingwall has dived", but I really hope it wasn't. 

Duncan Williams is an atrocious referee, and whilst I think the worst decision of the lot is not giving Elgin a penalty in the first-half, I can see why Stranraer feel aggrieved. I know exactly how he managed that game from watching those highlights.

Someone in football said to me a few months ago "the problem with Duncan is that he's just so fucking arrogant" when I was chatting about him. He's got the Andrew Dallas trait of really talking down to players and removing common sense or conversation from the situation. People should accept mistakes from a ref, they happen. I think it's far fairer to judge a referee on how they conduct themselves (Sean Murdoch the other week was absolutely superb in that regard, although I guess being an ex pro helps) and that's where Williams really struggles imo.

Agnew went to speak with him afterwards. Not in aggressive manner just a chat about decisions which he is entitled to do. Ref shut door not interested.

Also two wrongs don't make a right. So just because he ignored Elgin's good claim for a pen doesn't mean he can refuse Stranraer's. Defender caught Orrs foot. The Elgin players were saying after they got lucky with that one.

Hey ho we were rotten so were Elgin on a heavy pitch. 

Move on and hope it can be turned round. 

Edited by Blue1870

20 minutes ago, Blue1870 said:

They don't have replays and call it as they think they see it. I've spoken to the guys after numerous times and they always admit it when wrong. Very easy to criticise. They get one chance to see it.  Also they are just volunteers...supporters like the rest of us on the media team.

We have supporters all over just like any club. We have a few guys who support Bradford and Stranraer. They come up now and again.

Certainly not criticising, I think your media team do a great job inc commentators, they are very entertaining.

31 minutes ago, Blue1870 said:

I remember us having something similar with a few Portsmouth fans. Haven’t seen them since 2004 at Somerset right enough.

52 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

That Agnew interview is one of a man seriously feeling the heat, deary me.

Couldn't agree more. I remember after they beat us, he was giving the oh we are so good, i love the passion and quality the players have being showing. Now all he is saying is, it’s the refs fault, or that we were really unlucky today and there is always next week. Time is running out for teams to pick up points, but i think ourselves and Stranraer might just be safe as Bonnyrigg really do look doomed.

Stranraer can feel aggrieved at not getting a penalty but not mentioning Elgin’s even more obvious penalty at 0-0 is a bit daft. 

Referees at this level are generally poor, Scott Lambie for our game against Forfar a few weeks back was horrendous. 

5 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I remember us having something similar with a few Portsmouth fans. Haven’t seen them since 2004 at Somerset right enough.

Yeh - they jinxed us that day - should have won by 3 or 4 clear goals but somehow managed to finish 1-1 with a Gunther  own goal forever credited to Mark Campbell. We all know what happened next and I’m still having nightmares 

4 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Stranraer can feel aggrieved at not getting a penalty but not mentioning Elgin’s even more obvious penalty at 0-0 is a bit daft. 

Referees at this level are generally poor, Scott Lambie for our game against Forfar a few weeks back was horrendous. 

10 hours ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

I can understand why Agnew was so angry after the match in his interview. It certainly looked like a foul on Orr, although whether the contact was enough to send him to the turf is questionable. However I would have had a bit more respect for him had he mentioned an equally blatant penalty for Elgin in the first half. News for him…every team is on the receiving end of questionable decisions. Ultimately, either your team is good enough, or it isn’t.

Although both teams should have had a penalty Stranraer had far more really strange decisions go against them. 

I honestly can’t recall having seen that many bad decisions in one game.

The foul being given against James Dolan…with the position/movement/momentum of the two players I don’t know how anyone could think he committed any sort of foul there, never mind the fact he was completely taken out and looked genuinely hurt for a good 5 minutes afterwards going off for treatment, unlike Russel Dingwall doing a Rivaldo. Scottish League Two and your’e pulling shit like that.? Fucking embarrassing.

His antics throughout the game and afterwards make it obvious he sees himself as some sort of “shit houser”. The type of player that made me stop watching the top leagues.

Edited by Luddite

16 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

Agnew went to speak with him afterwards. Not in aggressive manner just a chat about decisions which he is entitled to do. Ref shut door not interested.

Also two wrongs don't make a right. So just because he ignored Elgin's good claim for a pen doesn't mean he can refuse Stranraer's. Defender caught Orrs foot. The Elgin players were saying after they got lucky with that one.

Hey ho we were rotten so were Elgin on a heavy pitch. 

Move on and hope it can be turned round. 

Don’t think we were rotten. Tried to play some football on an abysmal day weather wise.

16 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

As an aside, Freddy Jeffreys who got Elgin’s second goal is on loan from Bradford City.

14 hours ago, Luddite said:

Although both teams should have had a penalty Stranraer had far more really strange decisions go against them. 

I honestly can’t recall having seen that many bad decisions in one game.

The foul being given against James Dolan…with the position/movement/momentum of the two players I don’t know how anyone could think he committed any sort of foul there, never mind the fact he was completely taken out and looked genuinely hurt for a good 5 minutes afterwards going off for treatment, unlike Russel Dingwall doing a Rivaldo. Scottish League Two and your’e pulling shit like that.? Fucking embarrassing.

His antics throughout the game and afterwards make it obvious he sees himself as some sort of “shit houser”. The type of player that made me stop watching the top leagues.

If it is the foul (about 4.50 into the highlights) I think you are referring to regarding James Dolan, I don't think it is given against him. I wonder if the referee gives the foul against Chris Johnston for pushing the Elgin player into Dolan?

That's not to say there were not enough strange decisions!

On 17/03/2024 at 13:10, Jan Vojáček said:

Williams' display was an absolute master class in incompetence. A few people round me were discussing whether this was the worst refereeing display they had seen in their 30, 40, 50, 60 years at football. But funniest comment was from a nearby ~5 year old asking parent whether referees need good eyesight and the deadpan reply 'obviously not this one.'

Agree with the arrogance comment. We've had other referees who've apologised after the game for getting decisions wrong. If a ref can't do this you wonder whether they should be in this role.

But hopefully with Crawford Allan going the SFA will do something to address the fact  that refereeing standards are at their lowest in living memory.

On 18/03/2024 at 09:28, TAFKAC said:

If it is the foul (about 4.50 into the highlights) I think you are referring to regarding James Dolan, I don't think it is given against him. I wonder if the referee gives the foul against Chris Johnston for pushing the Elgin player into Dolan?

That's not to say there were not enough strange decisions!

Fair enough if that’s the case. I’m going to give the highlights another once over.

i hope you are correct as I could not make any sense of that decision