Next Step(s)  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, The Master said:

Regardless of how offside is defined, you will always have “tiny marginal situations”. 

I'm not sure where or how I'd do it, but I think it could be made more accommodating of the technology. I know that could mean the rule would be imposed on non-VAR leagues, but it should be easier for match officials as well.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm not sure where or how I'd do it, but I think it could be made more accommodating of the technology. I know that could mean the rule would be imposed on non-VAR leagues, but it should be easier for match officials as well.

You still need to draw the line somewhere, though (metaphorically and literally). 

No matter where that line is, you’ll still have marginal decisions. 

Just now, The Master said:

You still need to draw the line somewhere, though (metaphorically and literally). 

No matter where that line is, you’ll still have marginal decisions. 

I know, but I really, can't see the technology being scrapped when it is fulfilling the spec.

20 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

I guess this is why fan ownership is so important where possible. That's the only way to really have any influence.

Fans would have influence if they stopped going to games, then Clubs would soon get the message that fans don't want it. Guess this vote means everyone but Wolves will stop complaining about VAR decisions, aye right. They should be reminded of their vote whenever they start complaining about it though.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm not surprised by the vote. The technology does what was designed to do. I think they need to invest more in training and establish how they want the video evidence to be interpreted. It would also help if the offside rule was changed a bit, so that tiny margin situations are not offside.

The machinery and equipment may well do what it was designed to do (even if we put aside the issues with limited frames per second when determining when the ball has been played in offside calls), but VAR is a lot more than just the machinery equipment and it is reliant on human intervention. Therefore it will always be susceptible to human error or a difference of opinion/interpretation.

It will never result in the utopia that it was illogically perceived to introduce regardless of what training may be provided.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

The machinery and equipment may well do what it was designed to do (even if we put aside the issues with limited frames per second when determining when the ball has been played in offside calls), but VAR is a lot more than just the machinery equipment and it is reliant on human intervention. Therefore it will always be susceptible to human error or a difference of opinion/interpretation.

It will never result in the utopia that it was illogically perceived to introduce regardless of what training may be provided.

The end user cried about decisions before introduction and still do now it has.

I'm not a fan of it particularly, but just can't see it being removed, so the answer is to adapt to it somehow.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

So whats the spec that’s been fulfilled then? 

The capacity of the machine to capture lines for offside and contact for could etc. I realise there might still be an issue with when the ball was played, but there are multiple cameras and angles that are intended to calibrate that.

The capacity of the machine to capture lines for offside and contact for could etc. I realise there might still be an issue with when the ball was played, but there are multiple cameras and angles that are intended to calibrate that.

I agree that offside is likely here to stay. 

But I’d say the objective of the overall VAR project was to remove the element of ambiguity and for clubs to not feel prize money, success etc was at the hands of inconsistent and unpredictable refereeing decisions. The biggest clubs couldn’t stand losing these games and feeling a bad decision had cost them at the highest level. 

And yet here we are, as you say none of that has changed.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree that offside is likely here to stay. 

But I’d say the objective of the overall VAR project was to remove the element of ambiguity and for clubs to not feel prize money, success etc was at the hands of inconsistent and unpredictable refereeing decisions. The biggest clubs couldn’t stand losing these games and feeling a bad decision had cost them at the highest level. 

And yet here we are, as you say none of that has changed.

Aye, the nature of the game means marginal and therefore dubious decisions will always be part of it. We went for the best technological solution and it's just changed the emphasis of the arguments. Maybe an education programme about refereeing and the rules would have been a better idea.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t have a problem with VAR.  It’s not perfect but neither is the alternative.

Neither are perfect but only one detracts hugely from spectator enjoyment 

8 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I watched United under Mickey Mellon.  Maybe I’m enured to it.

15 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

The Jimmy Sandison "handball" incident in the 92 LC semi, detracted hugely from my life!

Feel free to gloat @Shandon Par, I'm over it and I forgive you, not Syme though, he can burn in Hell.

The Jimmy Sandison "handball" incident in the 92 LC semi, detracted hugely from my life!

Feel free to gloat @Shandon Par, I'm over it and I forgive you, not Syme though, he can burn in Hell.

VAR would have awarded a penalty to Celtic.

7 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Tbf Syme made a worse decision than that one

22 minutes ago, PTR said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/var-going-nowhere-sfa-chief-33013334

Now we have the reasons why VAR is "here to stay" and it is complete gibberish, without embarrassment, or respect for the intelligence of fans. Interesting we have officials literally making stuff up in their heads and presenting it as fact.

Disgraceful way to speak to paying customers.

I wonder what the context of this was?