Next Step(s)  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, PTR said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/var-going-nowhere-sfa-chief-33013334

Now we have the reasons why VAR is "here to stay" and it is complete gibberish, without embarrassment, or respect for the intelligence of fans. Interesting we have officials literally making stuff up in their heads and presenting it as fact.

I particularly like this quote “Anybody that thinks we are way behind the curve in Europe or so forth needs to go and visit some of these other countries because when I do go, all I hear about are the challenges they’re having with VAR." 

Great argument, VAR is shite in other countries too, so lets stick with it.

3 hours ago, KingswellsRed said:

Disgraceful way to speak to paying customers.

I wonder what the context of this was?

It really is. The tens of thousands of fans of the majority of clubs going to hundreds of matches every season can sod themselves so that a small number of teams can play a small number of games and the Hampden suits can name drop while pretending to be relevant. Can't wait for the next 'importance of the fan experience' crap to appear. I keep seeing this cretin is really a blue bigot at heart and there's nothing there to show he isn't. It's soul destroying stuff. 

4 hours ago, PTR said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/var-going-nowhere-sfa-chief-33013334

Now we have the reasons why VAR is "here to stay" and it is complete gibberish, without embarrassment, or respect for the intelligence of fans. Interesting we have officials literally making stuff up in their heads and presenting it as fact.

Those are fucking dreadful comments. Professional football is just fucking shite. 

4 hours ago, PTR said:

Lots of highlights obviously, but my favourite part may be this:

Retired top-flight ref Willie Collum is the man now charged with improving VAR’s accuracy after replacing Crawford Allan as the SFA’s head of refereeing. Mulraney added: “Willie is coming in and we did a genuine international trawl for someone to come in and join us and he was the stand out candidate.

Michael Jordan Laughing GIFs | Tenor

10 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

He seems to be saying that the rules of the game are different if you have VAR . Thought the rules were the same for all games whether VAR was there or not

I think what he’s (quite clumsily) saying is there’s things you might get away with without VAR because they’re hard to spot. 

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Any chance of them bringing that semi automatic offside in? VAR in the euros has been far better than it is in Scottish or English domestic football. 

It's so much better. It's being brought in in England but the chances of it making it to Scotland any time soon are nil.

I still think that the precision takes away from the point of offside, I don't see what advantage is gained by someone's knee being a couple of centimetres further forward. I feel I say this all the time but strikers (and indeed defenders) can no longer look along a line and know if the attacking player is on or offside.

On 21/06/2024 at 08:31, JS_FFC said:

VAR in the euros has been far better than it is in Scottish or English domestic football. 

It shows that VAR can work. It's not an issue with the concept, just how it's been implemented for me. Yes there are financial and quality reasons for that, but it's still worth persevering with in my opinion. We have a League 2 level VAR operation in Scotland.

On 13/06/2024 at 12:26, Kyle Reese said:

Thankfully common sense seems to be prevailing and it is here to stay.

Just wanted to point out how disappointing it is that so many posters on here are Christmas-voting turkeys … 

Shocked Chicken Run GIF by NETFLIX

13 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The automated offsides at the Euros are lightyears ahead of what we have in Scotland, but no one will ever convince me that this makes football better.

IMG_20240630_102116_821.jpg

But, again, it comes down to offside being a black and white decision.

No matter where you draw the (metaphorical or virtual) line, you’ll still have marginal decisions like this. You’re just changing where the margins are. 

4 minutes ago, The Master said:

No matter where you draw the (metaphorical or virtual) line, you’ll still have marginal decisions like this. You’re just changing where the margins are. 

I'm not changing anything. I'm commenting that this makes watching football worse.

22 minutes ago, The Master said:

I don’t think so.

You could simplify the offside rule so easily so that there were no marginal decisions at all by introducing the simple concept of “clear daylight”. 
No lines required to be drawn. The VAR guy looks at it and if he can’t instantly see clear daylight then it’s onside. 
This also has the clearly positive effect of giving the benefit of any doubt to the attacking player which I assume is something we’d all want.

It would also make for instant decisions and remove some of these nonsense offside decisions where no advantage has been gained at all. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

You could simplify the offside rule so easily so that there were no marginal decisions at all by introducing the simple concept of “clear daylight”. 
No lines required to be drawn. The VAR guy looks at it and if he can’t instantly see clear daylight then it’s onside.

And how do they determine “clear daylight”?

Even just eyeballing it will create marginal (and inconsistent) decisions.