Morton Vs Pars - 23/03/2024

Can't see a thread so thought I'd start one.

Big game for both, can Morton end their run of four defeats on the spin or will the Pars add more misery following their beating of the league leaders?

A place we've won at already this season, however very different times. Morton were yet to find themselves in any real form at that point with injuries etc and we were in the early days of survival mode, missing most big hitters but scraping by, after this game I feel we regressed up until late January. The last few weeks have certainly been more promising with wins over Thistle, Ayr and Dundee Utd however losses against Airdrie and Raith in amongst that leave us wondering what Dunfermline will show up.

When I looked at our remaining games prior to Friday it was the one causing me most concern. Cappielow hasn't really been a happy hunting ground and up until recently Morton were consistently the form team in the division. However, a rejuvenated Pars squad hopefully with Chris Kane back in the team coming off that good win on Friday could have enough to take the points.

What's changed at Cappielow, Ton fans? Purely down to George Oakley missing and low numbers in the squad?

A win would take the Pars above Morton into 5th (Morton with a game in hand) and just a point behind Airdrie who aren't playing this weekend. I reckon if the Ton win this one they'll put to bed any concern of getting sucked into the challenge to avoid 9th.

FWIW, I still think it'll be either Morton or Airdrie who finish 4th and to be fair I'm okay with that this season.

7 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

What's changed at Cappielow, Ton fans? Purely down to George Oakley missing and low numbers in the squad?

Both have played a huge part in both of our sticky spells this season, but I'd say it's equally down to how poor the rest of the team have been without Oakley. Crawford, Blues, Muirhead etc. were immense during our unbeaten run but have absolutely fallen off a cliff since. We've shown the last couple games that we can make chances but we need to be so much better in both boxes.

Wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom down here but a poor result on Saturday would be cause for concern. With or without Oakley I'd still expect us to win this, hopefully we see him come back into the fold.

A win over the league leaders doesn't convince me that we've suddenly turned into a top 4 team - while Friday was another step in the right direction, we have to be honest and say that United were absolutely stinking for most of the game.

But yes, we're looking better and there's the making of a decent starting XI and the aim for the remainder of the season is to try and have some stability with minimal disruption. Team pretty much picks itself now all the way through the team except one position - if Kane is fit, he plays and Summers drops out (although I wouldn't have Summers as a starter), if he's not fit, it's one from McCann/Moffat/Summers.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lost; wouldn't be surprised if we win. Looking for a strong showing from the defence again and not look like we did in the last 20 minutes against United. 

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Victory please.

If Kane plays then who drops out, and where does Jakubiak play?

Take Summers out for Kane and re-jig from there.

Is Chris Hamilton due a suspension? Surely can't be far away.

33 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Is Chris Hamilton due a suspension? Surely can't be far away.

I’m not sure but he was behaving himself when he was the captain, but got back to his usual form of getting ripped into the referees for shite decisions. 
He does like to give the ref whit fur when the mood takes him 😂

Will be a more difficult game than against Utd I'd imagine, although of course I hope not. 

We'll be much more physical this time round and ready to give a little bit back whereas the 5 0 game we were flimsy AF.

Predicting a score draw but it's very hard to judge how this might go.

We're into must not lose territory now. With only four home games remaining and two of them against Dundee United and Raith, we really need to be coming away from Dunfermline and Queen's Park with at least four points. Any less and we're in freefall rather than being able to look back on the last four games as an injury induced blip, while we'd then be reliant on away wins to get to the mid-40s total that might be necessary for 8th this season.

Of course, getting those points on the board wouldn't just banish any fear of being dragged back in but put us back in the top four.

Aye tough game this one. Morton are direct and physical and that high press destroyed us at East End.

We have much better options to combat that now though. Hammy and Otoo now in midfield will be up for a scrap. Bene is back now and won't get bullied. MFW has settled now and has been excellent last few weks. Wiles at right back is physical and a big upgrade on Benjamin, who played on the right of a back three that awful day. Also we now play a back four which is more solid than the back 3 we played back then.

Regardless of our improvements, I would take a point in this one.

We're going through a wee mini injury crisis at the moment with players out and some playing who are not 100%.

Listening to Dougie last week he was hoping to get a couple of players back "within a week to 10 days" Whether those players make it for this game or not, who knows?

If they don't make it I'd go with the same team we had against Hearts in the same positions and not like we had against Partick.

If Oakley plays we'll be ok. If he doesn't we're fucked. Some turn around in the last 4/5 games for us. The unbeaten run  was always going to end but it's coincided with our centre forward being out. If he was fit I genuinely think we'd have taken points from the last few games. 

Dunfermline back at it by the looks of it. Played us off the park at the first game at EEP. Best football I've seen a team play in the league this season . Like many teams they've suffered from injuries but look to be kicking on. It's a must win for us but it won't bw that straight forwardm should be a good game though.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

the mid-40s total that might be necessary for 8th this season. 

I'm not sure that will be necessary. For ICT to get into the mid 40s they'd have to win at least 4 of their last 9. They've won 7 of 29 so far. I reckon another win and a couple of shit fest draws and you'll be fine. Win on Saturday and you can begin to look upwards again. Likewise a win for us, in what's possibly our hardest remaining game, and I think we have our sights on 4th place. Crazy league. 

58 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Dunfermline back at it by the looks of it. Played us off the park at the first game at EEP. Best football I've seen a team play in the league this season

@Stellaboz

Expecting a tight game, I'm a big fan of Imrie and IMO, he's the best gaffer in the league. 

The Morton that thumped us at EEP were fantastic, they pressed the life out of us, utilised there set pieces superbly and we were well pumped. We're a better side now though for all the players that have came back, and with Morton having a few players out I'm hoping it swings back our way. 

Got my fingers crossed we can grab what would be a huge 3 points.