Morton Vs Pars - 23/03/2024

There have only been two occasions in the league this season we've gone behind and taken anything: Ayr on the first day and the draw at Tannadice. If we don't completely switch off at a set piece we probably get a draw that stops the rot today, but we conceded that shite goal and at that point you know the game is likely done, because even with Oakley we just can't open teams up when we're behind.

You then get the bail out of a soft penalty award and still f**k it up, with the most predictable miss ever from Muirhead who hasn't had a good game in at least two months and desperately needs to be dropped for his own good. The placement of the penalty actually wasn't terrible but it might have been the most telegraphed penalty of all time, Mehmet dived halfway through the run up because it was so obvious where he was putting it.

Edited by Dunning1874

The penalty save was justice as it looked like an extremely soft 'foul' and mebbe outside the box too. Completely predictable that Muirhead would miss given the game he was having too. 

We can't complain about the result at all, as Dunfermline produced a decent move from their perspective - ridiculous switching off from ours - to go ahead. We are persistently chronic if we have to chase a game and today was no exception. A couple of stramashes somehow not going in sums up our run at the moment, but Mullen's save stopped Dunfermline getting a second goal too. Neither team created much at all from open play - we needed to do better to rescue a point. 

The annoying thing is that we weren't actually miles off it today, The team was just filled with 6/10 performances all round. Other than perhaps Muirhead, nobody was really poor but we can't have just okay performances across the team and expect to win. The quality isn't there to bail us out. 

The team looks low on confidence but if we get ourselves ahead in a game for a change I think we'll be fine and could well go back on a strong run of results. Quite a few players should be playing for a contract though because the fringe players have not been delivering when called upon and are not changing games when they come off the bench either.

Edited by vikingTON

That’s a sore one, we actually started quite well. But after Dunfermline scored a great header they should actually have gone 2-0 up - incredible save from Mullen - despite them not looking like a good side at all. They got themselves into a defensive mess in their own box time and time again and we just couldn’t capitalise. Crawford missing from about 4 yards and Muirhead missing a pen sums us up at the moment - losing without forcing opponents to even play well. 

Also, it didn’t impact the outcome today but the standard of refereeing is appalling. 

17 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

What was the penalty awarded for? I missed it. Brilliant save by Mehmet. 

We made it unnecessarily nervy near the end for ourselves. Hamilton has to score that chance but what a save from the 'keeper. You have to take your hat off to that bit of brilliance. Thought we edged it in all honesty and deserved the 3 points. 

Dunfermline defender dangled a leg as Quitongo was dribbling away from goal and Quitongo was happy to go over it. Looked like slight contact around the knee, soft but very silly defending. Great save from Mehmet though, who I thought looked very shaky otherwise. 

Poor game, great result. Missed the goal queing for water but will take it (only the 5th or possibly 6th goal I've ever missed in over 30 years of going to the football).

Didn't think it was a penalty given how much the referee had generally been letting the play go during the game for both teams. Couldn't see if it was a foul on Mehmet just before but he has to punch that ball away for me, however a terrific save to redeem himself. 

A great defensive effort and a terrific header by MWH to go back across the goal. 

5 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

Dunfermline defender dangled a leg as Quitongo was dribbling away from goal and Quitongo was happy to go over it. Looked like slight contact around the knee, soft but very silly defending. Great save from Mehmet though, who I thought looked very shaky otherwise. 

And not only soft, but I'm leaning about 70% to it being outside the box anyway. Irrelevant now of course.

I say inside the box and I was inline with the event. ( happy to be proved wrong on Utube)

Would have merited a gold in diving, so good save probably a fair outcome.

The boy Hosler was a pain in the arse all day and planted the short cross on a  spot the leftback couldn't miss from.

Well we need a confidence boost or we might be lucky to get 8th spot.

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

That being said, there wasn’t many complaints from the Dunfermline players. 

Tbf that may more be to do with our "Living Sportsman" campaign thing, the players aren't meant to argue with the officials of claim for throwins or corners that they don't think are ours.

However with mixed results in this first season of it being used.

Wait, what? I saw that part of the play. I genuinely thought it was given for something that had happened before the challenge. Wow. The save surely justice as that was never a penalty. 

8 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

How I believe we should line up today, with the strict instruction that balls go wide and are not just lumped at Muirhead for the 4th or 5th game in a row! Both Bearne and Garrity made a positive impact on the game last week and deserve the chance to start, and Blues moves back inside to give us a bit more energy in there. More importantly, he isn't Tyler French.

Do I expect to see this lineup? No, probably not.

lineup.png.57b7ac3d41fd2e37882c2a8e1bb15d4a.png

That's how we SHOULD have lined up but with Oakley in place of Muirhead.

Was that chance second half for Morton off the post or deflected off a defender?

Was unsure from the WDE.

Edited by DA Baracus

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Was that chance second half for Morton off the post or deflected off a defender?

Was unsure from the WDE.

I think deflected off a defender.  How we didn't score is incredible.

1 minute ago, LargsTON said:

I think deflected off a defender.  How we didn't score is incredible.

Haha aye, said the same to my mates!

Well dug out victory, hard place to go and win the three points, so to do so as we get players back is very pleasing. MacLean as a ref is a fanny, all about him time and time again, fell over himself to give that penalty too, which even Morton fans saying was dodge. That 0-5 at east end truly was our lowest ebb, back we come though. Amazing what can happen when we have a full squad to pick from eh?

Saw a half and half scarf in Wetherspoons earlier. Was half Morton half maroon and white. Thought it was some utter gimps who were Hearts fans and, in an incredibly patronising manner, had their 'other' team as Morton.

Turns out it was some Italian lads from Bologna(or at least they supported Bologna I think). Was sitting in the pub as some Morton fans, who were clearly pals with them, came in and met them and gave them Morton pendants and other gifts. Found it strangely moving (no sarcasm or irony here, I was/am authentically delighted with it all).

A genuinely brilliant scene. Mental how some Italian lads (one of whom has exceptional mutton chops*) are in to lower league Scottish football.

P.S. Delighted they saw Morton lose.

*Not a slagging, they were/are genuinely tremendous.