Dumbarton -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 30 March 2024)

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I thought Buchanan was very lucky to survive after his assault on Gray followed by his blatant attempt at trying to get Wallace sent off by crumpling to the deck like a sack of spuds. Two yellows.

Ah, he's always had that in him. Too many moments of madness. In fairness, it's the reason he is playing at this level and not a league or two above...

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I thought Buchanan was very lucky to survive after his assault on Gray followed by his blatant attempt at trying to get Wallace sent off by crumpling to the deck like a sack of spuds. Two yellows.

Should’ve been on a yellow before that, too.

Meh.

Not a great day for us with East Fife, Spartans and Peterhead all winning. Our next 4 are all games we’re capable of winning. At this rate, we’re going to need three wins from the last 5 to finish above East Fife.

Edited by FifeSons

37 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Meh.

Not a great day for us with East Fife, Spartans and Peterhead all winning. Our next 4 are all games we’re capable of winning. At this rate, we’re going to need three wins from the last 5 to finish above East Fife.

You think East Fife will win their last five games, which would mean they had won nine out of their last ten?

I know it wasn’t a classic game but I actually quite enjoyed that game. As the game went on I felt we were the most likely to win. Thought Gallagher Lennon had a great game at left back.

Only word of note was that although the Young Sons are great, I think some of them forgot what ground they were in with a couple of songs in first half 🙈 

Game wasn’t bad. Thought sons narrowly edged it over the 90.

ref allowed durnan and Buchanan a free shot and had he booked them then might have stopped their second foul. 
Buchanan could have got a red on its own.

another great shift from Ruth .

think by end stenny happy to see game out at 0-0

That was more enjoyable than last week. I realised on my way home that the aggregate score over the four games this season is 4-4 but we scored all of ours in the first half of the first game and failed to net in the 3.5 games since.

41 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

You think East Fife will win their last five games, which would mean they had won nine out of their last ten?

I wouldn’t rule it out. I don’t think they have any particularly hard games.

Edited by FifeSons

Entertaining enough for a goalless draw on a terrible surface. Another tireless shift from Michael Ruth and an absorbing battle between Gallagher Lennon and Ross Taylor (who I always enjoy watching).

Sons needed to go in ahead at half time after a dominant first 45 mins, Stenny much tighter second half. 

Will we ever score again?

Twice the ball rolled across the face of the Dumbo goal. Twice Ross Taylor watched it.

Another week, another game ticked off. Three more 0-0 draws and the title is ours.

Edited by Nigel Blackwell

I thought that was quite an entertaining game. Two sides who looked like they wanted to win it, some decent chances at both ends and a nice wee bit of needle.

Stenny looked a bag of nerves in the first five minutes and I really think if we'd got a goal there (either from the corner inside the first few seconds, the corner soon after or the mixup between the two Jamiesons) then we might've been on to a really enjoyable afternoon.

Alas it wasn't to be. And a draw was maybe about the right outcome. We played like a team at home, had more chances and probably more of the ball. Stenny played like a team away, and very easily could've nicked something.

I thought that we played well though, and it keeps the positive feeling we seem to have built in recent weeks going. I like the way we're playing and we've got some good players hitting form.

Finlay Gray and Michael Ruth were, as has been the case for ages now, excellent. The former buzzing about midfield looking to make something happen, the latter occupying defenders and chasing every ball like an excitable spaniel. I'm going to be extremely sad when their time with us comes to an end.

I thought big Mark Durnan once again was superb at the back. Naysmith electing to go with Matty Yates over Aitken/Rodden was a smart move given our two centre-halves, but they dealt with Yates' threat well. He's a terrific player, and exactly the sort you'd hate to play against as a big, veteran centre-half. But he only really got once chance out of them - which Jay Hogarth saved well.

Euan O'Reilly against Aron Lynas was a good battle. And one where there was no winner. With both giving as good as they got. But the box office was on the other side with Ross Taylor against Gallagher Lennon.

Taylor is a strange player. I think he's the best in the league at going by his man. He's exciting, dynamic and boy does he know how to win a foul.

But I also think he's kind of like Kalvin Orsi, albeit with attitude. Both have 1 goal and 3 assists this season, but from watching them you'd think they should be nearing double figures for both.

Anyway. Taylor got in behind a few times in the first-half which had me thinking Lennon was in for a difficult second-half. 

But he was superb. He didn't let his lack of pace be exploited by someone as explosive as Taylor, routinely got the better of him to a degree that Taylor's head (as per) went. He landed a late one on him (having attempted to do it a few minutes earlier and missed) and ended up hooked. Between that and missing an absolute sitter I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy his second-half showing. He's a pantomime villain (but he'll also have a league winners medal soon. So who is the real winner?).

As I said earlier, I'm enjoying watching us play at the moment. And I think we're in a far better position than we were 12 months ago. A lot can change between now and May obviously, but I'm feeling good about DFC right now. And the mood around the place just seems to be nicer than it had been for a while.

On Stenny. They are a funny team. They have some exceptional players who will star in League One. Darren Jamieson is a brilliant goalkeeper, Nicky Jamieson is probably one of the best centre-halves in part-time football. Mikey Anderson was very good for stages today and will only improve. I like Euan O'Reilly and I rate Matty Yates hugely. Surely a full-time team will fancy him in the summer?

But there are also guys who I think might struggle a bit stepping up. Especially the ones on the bench. All of whom looked a downgrade on the men they replaced. Bradley Rodden, James Berry, even Matty Aitken? I'm not sure they'll cut it in League One. But who knows. Who the hell even cares about next season. You're about to win a league!

Anyway. Get the job done next week plz boys and help out your old pals in G82 🤝