Dumbarton -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 30 March 2024)

The big game of the weekend sees a resurgent Dumbarton taking on Stenhousemuir, the stuttering, soon-to-be champions, at the Rock on Saturday. I'm looking forward to this match - the three previous meetings between the teams have been good and I'm expecting the same here. Although you can never fully trust a Stevie Farrell side, the Sons appear to be getting their act together at the right time and look a decent bet to make an impact in the play-offs; Stenny, meanwhile, will clinch the League 2 title if they win and Peterhead drop points at Clyde, but on current form, you're hard pushed to see the Warriors keeping up their end of the bargain.

Stenhousemuir were defensively excellent against the Blue Toon last weekend but are really stuttering further forward. Almost all of the attacking players are out of form - Matty Aitken has been in the doldrums for a while, and if he's not playing well, the whole team seems to suffer, while Matty Yates is going through the motions. I don't think Bradley Rodden or Jordan Kirkpatrick made the most of their opportunity against Peterhead, although Adam Brown and Ross Taylor haven't done much coming off the bench recently either. It's hard to know what Gary Naysmith will do for this one but I'd like to see us go back to the tried-and-tested XI and give it a go. Let's try and win it! I'd bring Taylor back into the fold because he's really saved his best stuff against Dumbarton.

- Maty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Ross Taylor -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Nicky Jamieson - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

I think we can win this one but I reckon it's more likely to end up in a stalemate and we'll be handed the title when the games simply run out. I don't think there will be a lot of football played - the pitch looks in a lousy condition, and this was before Broomhill took on East Kilbride on the Sunday. Either way, I will see you all there!

Naysmith seems reluctant to play Taylor from the start, but I think he has to be given a chance. Can Rodden play up front by himself instead of Aitken? I suppose the pitch may mean we resort to hoofball which Aitken is more suited to, but I think he has only scored one goal this year (is that right?) so a change might not be a bad idea?

Maybe those dropped in the last game will be fresher and have points to prove? Hope so.

Has Taylor’s red card several weeks ago influenced managers thinking?

Edited by true fan

Our recent tactics and formations have brought the sort of performances and results that Ray McKinnon has inflicted upon Forfar fans this season.

I get that end justifies the means but it was genuinely entertaining see O'Reilly and Taylor destro full back earlier in the season. The result v Clyde has clearly spooked Naysmith.

I'd drop Aitken for this one. He's been off form recently and occupies defenders without actually giving them too much to worry about. I'm not entirely sure Rodden is up to much but he brings about more of a chaos factor.

I suspect it'll be a low scoring game and I'd happily take a draw.

1 hour ago, THE_warrior said:

As away attendances have been pretty healthy in recent weeks I have to wonder how many we will bring to the rock with the potential of winning the league.

The full 300 home support I'd expect.

After the first quarter of the season this game was looking to be a tasty affair but all we're really playing for is momentum going into the play offs. By the sounds of it we'll have most our guys back fit this week so I'll take a decent performance and no further injury issues and we move on. 

52 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Every time we play you post some sort of 'bait' and no one ever takes it. You're better saving it for fans of those who fall for the 'name 3 scorers in a 2-0 win' types

I think you've just taken it my friend.  And my good pal Peter has a point; nineteen (19) replies on the recent Stenhousemuir v Peterhead match thread hardly suggests that the Warriors waltzing to the title has captured the public's imagination.

16 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think you've just taken it my friend.  And my good pal Peter has a point; nineteen (19) replies on the recent Stenhousemuir v Peterhead match thread hardly suggests that the Warriors waltzing to the title has captured the public's imagination.

There will be barely more than 100 there.

I can't make this one so hoping for Uncle Faz and his big band of dog meat to at least hold us to a draw,if not put us to the sword, to drag it out for another week when the VIP will return.

I can never count on Uncle when it really matters though as we all know. 

Edited by Neilly

9 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I can't make this one so hoping for Uncle Faz and his big band of dog meat to at least hold us to a draw,if not put us to the sword, to drag it out for another week when the VIP will return.

I can never count on Uncle when it really matters though as we all know. 

If there had been a league title potentially hanging on this game I'd have 100% thought we'd blow it. As it is we'll probably win and postpone Stenny's celebrations for a week. Then again recent games between us suggest a 1-0 away win.

Just hoping we can get the three points and get the job done. 

As said, we're not in the best of form and although picking up draws, we need more from our forwards. 

This is going to be another game where we'll need Anderson and Wedderburn to be on it. I'd be tempted to fit Jacobs into the middle of the park as well and take away any space.  

Taylor and O'Reilly should start and use their pace to press their centre backs and stop the distribution. For that reason, I'd give Rodden the nod up front as well. Rodden will run and keep them further back.  

After seeing the starting 11 against Peterhead, I have no idea who will start. Just want the win.