Dumbarton -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 30 March 2024)

3 hours ago, microdave said:

That was more enjoyable than last week. I realised on my way home that the aggregate score over the four games this season is 4-4 but we scored all of ours in the first half of the first game and failed to net in the 3.5 games since.

Spoken like a true statto 🤣

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

But the box office was on the other side with Ross Taylor against Gallagher Lennon.

Taylor is a strange player. I think he's the best in the league at going by his man. He's exciting, dynamic and boy does he know how to win a foul.

But I also think he's kind of like Kalvin Orsi, albeit with attitude. Both have 1 goal and 3 assists this season, but from watching them you'd think they should be nearing double figures for both.

Anyway. Taylor got in behind a few times in the first-half which had me thinking Lennon was in for a difficult second-half. 

But he was superb. He didn't let his lack of pace be exploited by someone as explosive as Taylor, routinely got the better of him to a degree that Taylor's head (as per) went. He landed a late one on him (having attempted to do it a few minutes earlier and missed) and ended up hooked. Between that and missing an absolute sitter I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy his second-half showing. He's a pantomime villain (but he'll also have a league winners medal soon. So who is the real winner?).

I think Lennon deserves a lot of credit. He’s gone from looking miles out of his depth to a dependable League 2 defender with decent potential. All whilst a shitstorm has been happening off the pitch and involved a lot of press he could’ve probably done without.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Mark Durnan’s return to the team has coincided with Lennon’s confidence and form going up a notch with each passing week.

Agree that Lennon was very solid today. If he can keep that up, I’d be picking him there ahead of Blair or Malcolm.

I’m confident we’ll get over the line, in terms of making the playoffs. It would be nice if we go into them in good form, for the first time under Farrell. I’m sure we’ll get the usual outcome in them, but it’s no fun if you don’t get your hopes up.

Edited by FifeSons

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think Lennon deserves a lot of credit. He’s gone from looking miles out of his depth to a dependable League 2 defender with decent potential. All whilst a shitstorm has been happening off the pitch and involved a lot of press he could’ve probably done without.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Mark Durnan’s return to the team has coincided with Lennon’s confidence and form going up a notch with each passing week.

Before I'd finished reading your first paragraph, I knew what the second one was going to say. Durnan is head and shoulders above any other player we have had play at CB this season. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he is calm, uses the ball well, doesn't take chances and his experience shows in how much calmer the players around him are.

Jan touched on it last week, but if we hadn't lost him for so long, the gap between us and the top of the table may have been a fair bit smaller. Crighton is fine, but he isn't as much of a leader and, simply, isn't as good a player as Durnan. FWIW, I still reckon a fit Mark Durnan is the best CB in the league. Shame we didn't have him for half of the season...

13 hours ago, Grumpysonoftherock said:

Only word of note was that although the Young Sons are great, I think some of them forgot what ground they were in with a couple of songs in first half 🙈 

Heard that too. I'd hoped that it was variation on an East End favourite but it did sound like the original...

I'd also add in Aron Lynas as another who looks much more settled with Durnan playing. As Jan stated, he'd a right good battle yesterday and did well.  

It's outrageous really and surely a record at this level?

We are obviously off the boil and have been for a few games but we have to take stock of what has been achieved.

18 clean sheets in 31 games after watching Swift trying to have anything resembling a settled back line in two seasons just shows how far Gary Naysmith has taken us.

We had a crazy run of clean sheets (7 in a row) the season we won the title and it looks like we only had 12 that season, so 18 really is something. Especially with 5 games left. I almost can’t believe that can be right.

Yep, it’s correct. Impressive. Please keep another one next week.

Edited by FifeSons

Stenhousemuir had a capitulation to end all capitulations a number of years back. 2006ish? I'm not for a minute suggesting it will happen again, in fact Gary Naysmith is far too shrewd a gaffer.

I think the only capitulation to rival it was Raith Rovers in 1980-81.

That was when we had Colin Cramb on our books. Fantastic player but ‘something of a disruptive presence in the dressing room’ - shall we say, being euphemistic and leaving it there.

Cramb  and McGrillen were scoring bucket loads of goals then we signed Easy Stirlingshire’s Iain/ian Diack and it became a top heavy confection.. I’m sure Diack was a decent player but for some reason, when he joined us it was like he had never seen a football before. We should have left it as it was.

Because we were riding high mid season I forced my brother and his mate to go to Hampden on Boxing Day to see us lose to Queens Park on a cold and misty day and our demise could be tracked from that very afternoon. After that I didn’t think we would ever win a league title. My brother goes to a warriors game once every 5 years and we always lose. He has been kept away all year this time round.

This team is better but not as easy on the eye - there were some great performances in that top notch half season. 

As much as Bucky falling down like felled tree is hilarious, the tackle isn't a good one on Gray and it's borderline red for me. No intention to play the ball and boots the man from behind when we have a really good chance to score. I remember James Creaney being sent off for similar at Falkirk years ago. 

16 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Stenhousemuir had a capitulation to end all capitulations a number of years back. 2006ish? I'm not for a minute suggesting it will happen again, in fact Gary Naysmith is far too shrewd a gaffer.

I think the only capitulation to rival it was Raith Rovers in 1980-81.

Nicky Jamieson is now injured, they can't buy a goal and several players look as if they are feeling the pressure.  This could be the biggest collapse since Devon Loch.

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Nicky Jamieson is now injured, they can't buy a goal and several players look as if they are feeling the pressure.  This could be the biggest collapse since Devon Loch.

They could lose all their remaining games and still win the title