East Fife v Elgin City (30/03/24)

An important game for both sides. While I do see us as almost safe I’m not relaxing until it’s confirmed. Winning on Saturday would go a long way towards ensuring we are a League Two side next season.

As for East Fife, unbeaten under Dick Campbell and their most recent defeat was up at Borough Briggs. We have a very poor record as of late in this fixture but winning the last encounter shows it can be done.

That being said, I do think East Fife will probably win on Saturday. We were noticeably worse off without Dajon Golding last week as Rob Jones just doesn’t trouble defences in the same way. There’s flashes there but you can feel the crowd get more animated every time Golding gets on the ball. Hopefully some good news on that front. There’s also the previously mentioned small matter of East Fife being unbeaten since DC arrived on the scene. I predicted we’d lose to Spartans last month so hopefully they prove me wrong again!

Freddy Jeffreys came off injured against Forfar so Bray will likely come in. He did well in his cameo last week. Hopefully Mitch Taylor gets some minutes on Saturday too.

Edited by CrispyMelon

I’m not very hopeful re this one. We have a few out injured, East Fife are flying at the moment and our record against them is poor. Hopefully we can keep it tight and in the worst case scenario we don’t do too much damage to our poor but improving goal difference, which could be crucial come the end of the season.

It's been a while since I've been to Methil, looking forward to it. I do fear we lack attacking threat without Golding. I'd be tempted to bring in Taylor for Jeffreys and have two proper wingers to offer a bit more pace and direct dribbling. East Fife were rotten when we last played but it's unsurprising how quick an impact Campbell has had. I'd  be happy with a draw.

4 hours ago, afca32 said:

It's been a while since I've been to Methil, looking forward to it. I do fear we lack attacking threat without Golding. I'd be tempted to bring in Taylor for Jeffreys and have two proper wingers to offer a bit more pace and direct dribbling. East Fife were rotten when we last played but it's unsurprising how quick an impact Campbell has had. I'd  be happy with a draw.

Agreed with Taylor. Feels harsh on Dangana cos he’s stepped up his game recently but Mitch is our best option there. I expect Dangana will start all the same 

1 hour ago, CrispyMelon said:

Agreed with Taylor. Feels harsh on Dangana cos he’s stepped up his game recently but Mitch is our best option there. I expect Dangana will start all the same 

Apologies, I think I’ve misread this. You’re saying start with Taylor and Dangana instead of Bray?

1 hour ago, CrispyMelon said:

Apologies, I think I’ve misread this. You’re saying start with Taylor and Dangana instead of Bray?

Yeah I'd be tempted, I like Bray but think two proper wingers would give us a bit threat more in the final third which I thought we missed without Dayshonne last weekend. All 3 are decent options though and I'd be happy with any starting.

15 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

We've presumably got Nathan Austin out. He hurt his ribs v Peterhead but nothing official yet from the club.

That could well be Elgin's best chance of a result in this game. Austin has got a ridiculous record against us over the years.

Elgin City make their final visit of the season to Bayview and they should prove a tougher test than Dec' 9th in what was Allan Hale's first game in charge.

East Fife  are on an unbeaten run of 7, 4 wins and  3 draws and should  be confident of keeping that  run  going.

With Nathan Austin  presumably still out,  we should line up as the same 11 that defeated Stranraer.

-Felming-

-Murdoch-Blaney-Easton-Newton

-Millar-McManus-

-Lyon-      - Trouten-     -Healy-

-Shepherd-

A pretty enjoyable game that. Elgin can probably feel a little hard done by given how much they contributed but we deserved the win. Elgin are clearly a much improved side from the one earlier in the season and I don't think you need to have any worries about relegation.

Really good to see Jack Healy continue his good form with two great crosses for our goals.

Hard to argue with that result.

First half I thought we were unlucky to be behind. No shortages of chances from us but the finishing wasn’t quite there. Jones played very well I must say.

Second half was all over the shop unfortunately. Didn’t settle into any kind of rhythm and East Fife ended up winning comfortably. Don’t agree with Connall Ewan playing at right back either - he’s a grand centre half and we had two right backs on the bench

First half  Elgin were dangerous, 2  good stops by Fleming and Dangana who was impressive should have scored.  We rattled the bar and Jack had the right back on toast with some great wing play, one of which Trouten expertly nodded into the net.

Second half was much more comfortable for the Fife  and Elgin didn't threaten atall. Some nice passing attacking play by us  and we should have  scored more  but overall another good  performance.

Best Fifers' for  me were  Healy, Millar and Easton.

Strange first half, EF went in at half time, one goal up but the best chances fell to Elgin with Fleming making 2 good stops and Dangana missing a snip when one on one with the keeper. 2nd half, I can’t remember Elgin causing any problems or creating any chances bar a fluffed clearance from Fleming causing a few anxious moments before the ball was hoofed clear by a defender.

Good to see Healy back at at his jinky best , not cutting inside with every attack but going on the overlap , creating both goals, Millar correctly winning MOTM with his sterling performance and Shepherd just doing what he’s very good, holding play up to allow others to join the attack.

Some of the passing football played by EF in the 2nd half , particularly after the 2nd goal was just sublime , pity parts of the first half weren’t the same. Anyhow, still in play off contention  and all to play for next week against Stenny.

Undefeated in the last 8 games, of which 5 wins, some record, chapeau to the new management staff, but also to the players.