Shōgun

Haven't seen a thread about this anywhere.

A English ships pilot shipwrecks on the coast of Japan with the remains of his crew and gets taken prisoner by the local samurai chief , then finds himself mixed up in a oncoming civil war between 5 regents. 

Some great characters and some faintly recognisable Japanese actors and brilliant swearing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it years ago with Richard Chamberlain playing the John Blackthorn role, and really enjoyed it, so was looking forward to this series. Bit of a slow burner with the amount of episodes compared to the one back in 1980, but still really good, hate having to watch it an episode a week, that's 3 weeks its been building up from a slow simmer, i'm bursting to see it boil into action. Hopefully next week's episode will be the one to get my juices flowing.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Can't express enough how i fucking hate episodes being released weekly, arghhhhhh!

Really enjoyed tonight's episode, full of emotion, and that ending, i'd be right onto the next episode even if it was 3am, couldn't possibly leave it there, but the b*****ds did, and i'll have to wait another week for the next one.

Spoiler

At least John Blackthorne got his nat king cole before Mariko got spread all over the place...........Kenny Williams Discord Emojis - Kenny Williams Emojis For Discord.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, AUcal said:

Just finished this series. I thought it was excellent, really loved it.

Really hopeful that there will be more, but I hear that it's not expected.

I think it would be very difficult with the way the season finishes. Although there are a few loose threads that could probably be dramatised. 

By the sounds of it, the show has been a critical and commercial success. If it does get picked up I'd expect an anthology series approach: Fall of Shogun / The Next Shogun type. Or another one of Clavell's books adapted by the same production team. 

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think it would be very difficult with the way the season finishes. Although there are a few loose threads that could probably be dramatised. 

By the sounds of it, the show has been a critical and commercial success. If it does get picked up I'd expect an anthology series approach: Fall of Shogun / The Next Shogun type. Or another one of Clavell's books adapted by the same production team. 

Yeah I guess the writers would have to be very creative to come up with a viable series that could be of a similar quality to this one, based on some of the small loose threads that exist. I don't know if any of them would actually be strong enough as a hook for an entire series.

I would love to see some additional series in this style though, if the production team could find a way to make something work. I thought it was really brilliant television.

• 3 weeks later...

Seasons 2 & 3 are now being developed. Producers and Hiroyuki Sanada signed up for it and a writer's room starting.

No guarantee what they come up with will ever be produced. In some circles this is seen as a ploy to change Emmy categories to pick up some awards.

It’s been a long time since I read the Clavell novels but one of the main points I do remember is the running thread through them about the Toranaga Clan, they become hereditary Shiguns and guardians to the heir and also build up a shipping empire that becomes an international concern all the way up to the current day!!!

So I would be surprised to see Blackthore in any of the future seasons, I think his story is done, but there is obviously a lot for Toranaga to be getting on with to keep his story in line with Clavell’s Asian Saga!!!