We had one this season for a 18 year old kid who was a well known face at every way game I went to.

So it’s wrong that his fellow young team who probably met him going to games shouldn’t have organised a minute applause and a banner for a life cut short?

The queens multiple minute silences that I objected to, however my objection was done by not getting out of my seat.

Not sure what the issue is to be honest. When you’ve got fans who’ve supported a club for most of their life, that recognition is surely worthy? I may be interpreting this thread incorrectly, but if not, what’s the issue? You have a choice whether to clap or not?

58 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Not sure what the issue is to be honest. When you’ve got fans who’ve supported a club for most of their life, that recognition is surely worthy? I may be interpreting this thread incorrectly, but if not, what’s the issue? You have a choice whether to clap or not?

Yeah I'm not really getting the outrage. There's a choice in the matter, if you don't want to partake then don't.

Just remember that more often than not the person's family will be there and it will be a nice gesture that they can remember. 

It really isn't that big of a deal..

As i said on the Livi match thread, i don't mind them for football related tributes, someone connected to the club in some form. Whether that be ex players, backroom staff, board members, or fans. Same goes for stadium disasters being remembered, these are heart felt and connected to football clubs, and fans.

Out with football though, i totally agree, it was getting ridiculous with the amount we were getting for Royal family deaths, disasters like floods or earth quakes, terrorist attacks, plane crashes, yes these are horrific and sad events that can have an affect on us seeing them, but i don't see why football clubs throughout the Country have to have minute silences/applause for them. The likes of the Queen dying had several events for anyone that felt the need to mourn her death, the coffin doing a tour of the Country too, gets just too much having football crowds having to do these announcements and silences when it's nothing to do with football, or connected in any way to clubs.

I was at a highland dancing competition couple of weekends back (the bairn, not me, my fling days are unbelievably behind me) and it was effectively 4 sessions on the Saturday and Sunday. Each of the sessions had a minutes silence for the mum of some wifie organiser. So 4 minutes silence in total.

An absolute fucking nonsense.  I walked out before the second one started.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I was at a highland dancing competition couple of weekends back (the bairn, not me, my fling days are unbelievably behind me) and it was effectively 4 sessions on the Saturday and Sunday. Each of the sessions had a minutes silence for the mum of some wifie organiser. So 4 minutes silence in total.

An absolute fucking nonsense.  I walked out before the second one started.

Surely they missed a trick there with pipers being available for the dancing, having a lament played. 

The performative grief ones are ridiculous and take away from those of more importance.

Ok.

Remembrance day silence. On remembrance weekend only, no poppy mascots etc and especially no ridiculous wreath laying to remove it 30 seconds later cos you know there’s a football match about to happen.

Pre-match silence/applause for ex-player/manager/director particularly if they were long serving

Well communicated during match applause/chanting for a young fan. 

Not a fan but ok

applause for a fan of a decent age that often isn’t communicated well and results in random clapping hard to distinguish from that of free kick won on the half-way line.   Fair enough if it helps the families process but it’s slightly odd for those who couldn’t identify the person if they were shown a photo 5 minutes previous to be joining in.

Minutes silence for someone who played 2 games as a sub 40 years ago.

Really should be dropped 

Silences for those involved in football but not either club, why the hell were we taking a moment for Maradona when annoying England fans was his only contribution to Scottish football.

Natural disasters/wars etc not saying don’t recognise these, have donation buckets, ask fans to donate over tannoy etc but the silence doesn’t achieve anything.

Mon to f**k eh

Individuals with nothing to do with football. 

Silences already being observed on a more appropriate weekend but clubs for some reason feel desperate to have one at their particular home game, mainly noticed at remembrance but you get in other times too

Edited by parsforlife

I totally understand fans wanting to mark other notable fans passing at a game, but I tend to agree with the original point that there is too much of it now tbh. Former players and managers of note, yes, but I'm sorry but beyond that I'm not that for it. Playing devil's advocate a little here, but where do you draw the line? Who decides which fans are and are not worthy? Going to sound crass, but at some clubs, if you had a minutes applause for a fan of a certain age on that minute, you'd be applauding the whole game for someone.

Not to mention that I think an applause in itself isn't the best marker. For me, it should be a minutes silence to remember someone.

Where I do think marking a passing is appropriate is for banners or something amongst the fans themselves.

On the applause/silence for folk outside the game, not for me tbh. If you want to have a minutes silence for a king, Queen, politician etc, then there will be an appropriate place for that. A football stadium is not the place. 

I get it for someone related to the club that you may know/heard off before kick off. The ones during x minute the person age that sadly past away is starting to become every game now it is mentioned on social media. Surely clubs could do more add a memorial in the program/ quick announcement before game.  

10 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

St Mirren have done an end of season remembrance for fans that have passed in the previous 12 months with their names being read out and displayed in the big screen, that should be the best time for this kind of thing. 

I would say this or something like this is the correct answer. 

2 hours ago, Liam899 said:

For me the issue is if you choose not to clap you're going to stand out as being rude and disrespectful so you feel pressured into being obliged to clap, even though the majority of time you have no idea what you're clapping for. 

If I or any of my hardcore Dee family died, I would never expect a bunch of strangers to clap for us in a show of faux respect for someone they don't know. It's getting far too common and absolutely pointless.

People should grieve in their own manner without forcing it onto others. 

Edited to add: Some laugh when you've just started a minute's applause in the 26th minute and the opposition score to make it 3-0.

Edited by Dee Man

Its one minute of your life to clap. I've never understood why folk moan about it.

Just be kind and clap for 60 seconds.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its one minute of your life to clap. I've never understood why folk moan about it.

Just be kind and clap for 60 seconds.

It's not though is it, it's multiple minutes every other week. It's an absolute nonsense. 

Just now, Dee Man said:

It's not though is it, it's multiple minutes every other week. It's an absolute nonsense. 

Is it though?

And what does it matter? It's literally a minute and it'll mean the world to family members/friends who'll be there and who went to the games with them.

Imagine being so wrapped up in your own life that you think one minute of clapping for someone who died, as a sign of respect for those there who remember him, is a hassle that should be banned and it would be far better to spend that minute doing the same things you have a further 89+ minutes to do at the ground.