7 hours ago, Dee Man said:

@RandomGuy. ran away when I asked him what he'd do if Bakayoko had scored the winner on Saturday 5 seconds into his minute's applause. Still waiting. 

Depends on the nature of the goal, but probably react the same way as I did then (look at my dad, say "for fucks sake", then sit there depressed).

7 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

If it makes family and friends feel that little bit better about their loss then there's no issue with it at all.  Still a supporter of the club. 

Big clubs would be doing it every week. Would it be a single tribute or does everybody that died get their own? That might play havoc with telly schedules.

8 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

That's where it should end, political and religious figures, heads of state including Pope's, Prime Ministers and Royal Family have zero connections to clubs and football and by nature can be divisive and the cause of conflict between people so that can get in the bin for me.

I'd also add remembrance Sunday at the football,  I'll always observe it and wouldn't disrupt it but again, war or quite specifically the British military somewhat questionable recent history of conflict and conduct has more than a degree of ambiguity about its morals and merit, I personally feel the ramping up of it all, the poppy w**k fest and the almost insistence on people displaying poppies, almost in a garish fashion is an attempt to curry favour for the military and in particular the reprehensible foreign policies of successive UK governments, I feel very strongly about this having no place at football, as I said I'd never disrupt it but remembrance Sunday should be a solemn mark of respect and one of choice, not some garish jingoistic display of loyalty to Britain and its military at football stadiums.

TL:DR ‘I’m a Sellic fan. I don’t like Sevco’

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The problem is where do you draw the line. How do explain to the family of Big Rab he can't have a tribute. Then agree to Wee Boab having one. What would the criteria be?

Maybe a cut off limit for Boab Size?

34 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anyway can’t we all just agree to have a minutes laughing at the start of every season in memory of the events of 2012.

Every 13th February (or was it 14th?), a minutes applause should be held around grounds in Scotland, acknowledging the life that was “Rangers”. 

FTHB 

17 hours ago, Lex said:

The one I remember as bizarre was us having a minutes silence for Fernando Ricksen at St Mirren Park. I had nothing against him, and his young death was tragic, but he had absolutely no connections to our football club. 

Were you playing Rangers that day? If not, that’s bizarre indeed.

Anyway, I’d like to request a solid minute of booing on the 20 minute mark, just to confuse the hell out of whoever has the ball at that point.

15 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Were you playing Rangers that day? If not, that’s bizarre indeed.

Anyway, I’d like to request a solid minute of booing on the 20 minute mark, just to confuse the hell out of whoever has the ball at that point.

Nope we were not, I don’t think we were the only team that done it that day either.

Works both ways too. I can’t remember the exact details of this but an ex chairman of ours passed away a few years ago, I think it was Bob Earlie, but happy to be corrected by a Saints fan who recalls this better than me.
He was an elderly gent who hadn’t been around the club for a while, but in his day he had spent years of his life doing a lot of good work for us.  The kind of guy who is  absolutely deserving of recognition at a game. 
He wasn’t of the social media generation and essentially his death was missed by the club. A bit of understandable upset from friends and family ensued and there was then retrospective acknowledgement. 
Things like this is why I think we just need to do the tribute every home game. There’s never going to be less tributes, but it’s went so far we just now offend the families of people who don’t get the tribute, many of whom are more deserving than the ones that do. 

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Arrange all the minutes applauses to take place during VAR checks. Sorted.

VAR checks should get that  slow hand clap they do in tennis when players request a check whether the ball was in, but then again the tennis checks don't go on for 5 or more minutes.

16 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Airdrie put obituary notices for fans who have died on the website and social media, but I can't recall any particular minutes' silence for them as we have for ex-players.  There may have been some, but I don't remember any. 
What annoys me, though, is the arms-race of Remembrance Day commemorations.  It used to be that a single silence was enough.  That was sufficient, that was respectful enough.  Now we need to have that (at least once) and a wreath on the pitch and a poppy printed on the shirts and tributes in the programme, for those clubs that still produce a programme.  We never used to need all this extra stuff, nobody ever thougt that the simple silence was disprespectful and insufficient, but now if a club was to row back from what they must all do now, and go back to what everyone considered respectful enough ten or fifteen years ago, there'd be grumbling and huffing about it.

That still gives me a laugh thinking about Airdrie's remembrance programme having the German soldiers photo on the cover. We played you that weekend and my mate bought one and kept it as a keepsake.😂

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

That still gives me a laugh thinking about Airdrie's remembrance programme having the German soldiers photo on the cover. We played you that weekend and my mate bought one and kept it as a keepsake.😂

That was pretty funny tbf.

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

qs33.thumb.jpg.1119c44fbf8decc1e8db2f124e184877.jpg

If you remember the auld QOS lad that died in tragic circumstances at the next Queens home game against Edinburgh City there was a tribute from folk in the stand holding up their mobile phone torches. I thought that was quite a nice touch- it might not work so well on a summer day though. 

I want a minute's "For F*ck's Sake" when I go. It was the way I watched football mostly. 

A personalize tribute for the passing of a fan sounds like a plan. The 'HOW MANY TIMES REF' guy i hear at home and away games, we all shout how many times for a minute's tribute, or the auld guy behind me with shoot tourette's, once he starts he can't stop, shoot shoot shoot SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT. 

On 01/04/2024 at 23:35, eindhovendee said:

Just went on Twitter and the first thing I see is this.

This is it for me. It's not a "kind and decent thing" it's #bekind concern trolling where clubs don't want to be seen to be callous. You know that the minute a club said no to one of these that if would be all over social media and the papers would pick it up.

As sarge asked earlier, and I refrained from asking on the Livi thread, what are the criteria? The truth is there won't be criteria, the decision will be a function of how publicly someone has requested it and campaigned like this on social media. 

To @Freedom Farter's point on the other thread, the fact that so many folk haven't the faintest idea why they're clapping might suggest that it isn't a particularly bottom up process.

It's a wider issue of the age of narcissism we're in and that's why it bothers me tbh. We tend to go to football to watch the football and get lost in the game, not to participate in the grief of individuals in the crowd. I think we go to football to surrender our individuality for a bit too, so part of my objection to these things is it takes me out of that collective effervescence.

The St Mirren thing sounds like it ticks all of the boxes. It's intentional so a'body is clear and, crucially, consenting to it. It also helps folk grieving as they get to share it with others without any sense of imposing it on others' experience. It will also be impactful instead of having a few half arsed claps at a moment during the game.

Edited by velo army

19 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd never get upset about these things but they're a bit too common and half the time I don't know why I am claping.

If I pop and anyone does it for me. I'm gonna haunt ye.

Recently i can only remember last season up in Dingwall Ross County had one announced before kick off, and the tribute against Celtic there for a minute's applause during the game.

At one stage a few seasons ago you had quite a few national ones covering disasters and terrorists attacks, the Queen's mum*, Phil, then the way OTT ones for the Queen. The Queen's in particular was overboard because there was one for a few different match days, plus all the state ones with the coffin, plus the actual funeral, which should've been enough without football grounds having them.

*that one was at Parkheid when we played Celtic and was never going to be given any respect, but they were trying to make it a 2 mins silence, think the ref just blew his whistle for it to end after about 30 seconds.

45 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

A personalize tribute for the passing of a fan sounds like a plan. The 'HOW MANY TIMES REF' guy i hear at home and away games, we all shout how many times for a minute's tribute, or the auld guy behind me with shoot tourette's, once he starts he can't stop, shoot shoot shoot SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT. 

I'm sure every club has its own "Get the subs on!" guy. In our case it wouldn't seem right without adding "McGraw" on the end of it.

Edited by AyrshireTon