St. Mirren v Hearts, 6th April 2024

If we lose on Saturday, we're still odds-on to make the top six.

However, in a season where we have spent 0 out of 31 rounds outside of the top 5 in the league, it will be seriously disappointing if we make top six and miss out on 4th or 5th. For me this season, 6th is still an achievement, an indicator that what we're doing is somewhat sustainable but it would feel like a huge opportunity missed in terms of giving out supporters something that we've not had in over 35 years.

After 29 played, I think I'd mentioned 4 points between Fir Park and Hearts at home in whatever order was essential. That still stands as a must. A win on Saturday means we go to Parkhead, a place we've picked points up in the last couple of seasons, with essentially a free hit.

If we do win on Saturday, our season is going to be defined by the round robin of games vs Kilmarnock and whoever of Dundee/Hibs take the 6th slot, much the same as theirs will be...We should be going to Tynecastle and Ibrox and play Celtic at home which we shouldn't be earmarking many if any points for so this is a massive game not only for top 6, but for our entire season.

Hearts are absolutely there for the taking...

..as are we, though!

I'm sure the club won't put too much stock in this, but the opportunity to "repay us" for relegating them while stopping us hitting top 6, with the chance that Hibs replace us thus giving them a derby before the end of the season, must get the Hearts fans moist. Even if there is only a slim chance of that happening.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I'm sure the club won't put too much stock in this, but the opportunity to "repay us" for relegating them while stopping us hitting top 6, with the chance that Hibs replace us thus giving them a derby before the end of the season, must get the Hearts fans moist. Even if there is only a slim chance of that happening.

Fucking hell.

You honestly believe that?

Edited by VincentGuerin

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Fucking hell.

You honestly believe that?

Considering the way your fans react to games between us? Yes, yes I do.

You would fucking love for that scenario to come about, and you'd crow like nobody's business if it were to happen, so stop trying to pretend you wouldn't. :rolleyes:

Just now, Ric said:

Considering the way your fans react to games between us? Yes, yes I do.

You would fucking love for that scenario to come about, and you'd crow like nobody's business if it were to happen, so stop trying to pretend you wouldn't. :rolleyes:

Christ.

Bye Ric.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Christ.

Bye Ric.

Sure thing bud, I mean the litany of comments on this forum certainly wouldn't suggest Hearts fans have a particular, and irrational, dislike for us.

Happy to quote all the times Hearts fans have, both on here, on kickback or on twitter made ridiculous comments.

Even though Hearts obviously have a strong dislike of us, I'm pretty sure they would rather see their rivals Hibs finish as low as possible. 

So with that said, how about throwing the game just like we supposedly did in 86 ?

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Even though Hearts obviously have a strong dislike of us, I'm pretty sure they would rather see their rivals Hibs finish as low as possible. 

This. I don't really dislike St Mirren all that much, I'm under 40 so 86 wasn't on my radar and any other games you've beaten us in that mattered in recent years I blame Hearts for.

But even if I did hate you, it wouldn't be enough to want me wanting Hibs in the top 6. As low as possible for them, always, please.

After the 2-2 draw last season, when Hearts equalised in the 95th minute, I had the misfortune to be amongst Jambos at Paisley St. James. There was a lot of very angry Jambos there which, given the circumstances, surprised me. They were shouting about how our 'big team' lost, as it was the day Celtic were beaten 3-0 at Ibrox.

Not often I have encountered such hostility there, tbh. 

I'm amazed the pic of the 'Celtic Club Shop' hasn't yet materialised, btw. Has anyone referred to us as St. Liedown, yet? Perhaps the Hearts posters on here are a little more civilised that the average Jambo.

I've been to a lot of Hearts matches this season. I've spent a lot of time talking to other Hearts fans in the pub, at games, on trains, in WhatsApp groups etc etc.

Nobody among them has expressed any opinion on whether they'd like St Mirren to make the top six or not.

You can believe that it matters to us if it makes you feel important.

5 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I'm amazed the pic of the 'Celtic Club Shop' hasn't yet materialised, btw. Has anyone referred to us as St. Liedown, yet? Perhaps the Hearts posters on here are a little more civilised that the average Jambo.

they can’t really mention that after they installed sevco badges into the home dressing room at the recent ladies cup final at tynie 

31 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

After the 2-2 draw last season, when Hearts equalised in the 95th minute, I had the misfortune to be amongst Jambos at Paisley St. James. There was a lot of very angry Jambos there which, given the circumstances, surprised me. They were shouting about how our 'big team' lost, as it was the day Celtic were beaten 3-0 at Ibrox.

Not often I have encountered such hostility there, tbh. 

You're trying waaay to hard mate.

Pretty sure the primary reason Hearts fans will want their team to win is that, erm, they want their team to win because they always want the team they support to win. For some of a certain vintage, there may be a remnant of not liking us for 1986, but mostly, they’ll just want Hearts to win.

Maybe the exception will be fat fcukers flashing Nazi salutes who look old enough to know better. Maybe their primary reason for wanting Hearts to beat St Mirren is different from the majority of sane Jambos.

2 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

This. I don't really dislike St Mirren all that much...

I don't have any great animus towards Hearts either.

Yet living in Edinburgh for about 5 years it was clear to me that St Mirren lives rent free in many Hearts fans minds.

48 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Pretty sure the primary reason Hearts fans will want their team to win is that, erm, they want their team to win because they always want the team they support to win.

"Wanting your team to win", and, "holding a grudge against another team for your own teams' failings" are two different things, they aren't mutually exclusive though.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I don't have any great animus towards Hearts either.

Yet living in Edinburgh for about 5 years it was clear to me that St Mirren lives rent free in many Hearts fans minds.

"Wanting your team to win", and, "holding a grudge against another team for your own teams' failings" are two different things, they aren't mutually exclusive though.

I sometimes wonder if any Hearts fans actually think that those of us who were in Love Street that day were happy to see an ugly sister trounce us and celebrate an unlikely title win on our own patch. When news from Dundee filtered through on radios about Albert Kidd, do Jambos really think we were cheering and joining in with an Old Firm party on our pitch? I was sick. Scunnered.

Subsequent ‘St Liedown’ shite has me not giving a fcuk about Hearts ‘86, but I didn’t feel that way at the time.

Shame Hearts shit the bed, just as they did when going 1-0 up at our place and contriving to lose 6-2. Oooft, that goal difference, eh?