Edinburgh City Vs Montrose

Hibs fan on their game thread mentioned the wind was whistling through the gaps in the Easter Road stands and the stewards couldn't keep their balance. Two Hibees in the pub we were talking to said the conditions were bad at their game (not as bad as Hibs performance though) I also noticed Hutchi Vale's game at Ainslie Park also went ahead today and while there is some shelter from the flats there it can be windy too. 

Meadowbank was a wind tunnel even when the big stand was there although I can only remember going to one abandoned game there- against Whitehill in 1998 when the pitch resembled the Commonwealth Pool and after twenty minutes of splashing about the game was abandoned. 

I have been to two wind postponed/abandoned games in Angus though- Arbroath v Cowden when goal kicks were blown back over the bar and a game at Station Park which went off about ten minutes before kick off... leaving the town we noticed Forfar West End were still playing their home match :blink: Similarly a game at Edinburgh University just before Christmas. The wind had been strong but had dropped by the time the ref turned up. He quickly called the game off, got in his car where his wife had been sitting and buggered off to do some Christmas shopping. 

A New Year's game at Annfield on the old plastic was memorable: same conditions as today, Stirling Albion were awarded a penalty. It was taken and saved by Meadowbank's Jim McQueen but the ball had moved. A pile of sand was then used to try and stop the ball moving and McQueen saved again but the penalty was ordered to be retaken. Third save and the referee gave up. The game finished 0-0 unsurprisingly. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Hibs fan on their game thread mentioned the wind was whistling through the gaps in the Easter Road stands and the stewards couldn't keep their balance. Two Hibees in the pub we were talking to said the conditions were bad at their game (not as bad as Hibs performance though) I also noticed Hutchi Vale's game at Ainslie Park also went ahead today and while there is some shelter from the flats there it can be windy too. 

Meadowbank was a wind tunnel even when the big stand was there although I can only remember going to one abandoned game there- against Whitehill in 1998 when the pitch resembled the Commonwealth Pool and after twenty minutes of splashing about the game was abandoned. 

I have been to two wind postponed/abandoned games in Angus though- Arbroath v Cowden when goal kicks were blown back over the bar and a game at Station Park which went off about ten minutes before kick off... leaving the town we noticed Forfar West End were still playing their home match :blink: Similarly a game at Edinburgh University just before Christmas. The wind had been strong but had dropped by the time the ref turned up. He quickly called the game off, got in his car where his wife had been sitting and buggered off to do some Christmas shopping. 

A New Year's game at Annfield on the old plastic was memorable: same conditions as today, Stirling Albion were awarded a penalty. It was taken and saved by Meadowbank's Jim McQueen but the ball had moved. A pile of sand was then used to try and stop the ball moving and McQueen saved again but the penalty was ordered to be retaken. Third save and the referee gave up. The game finished 0-0 unsurprisingly. 

Too long

11 hours ago, Brummo said:

Please can we have less wind this time round? Hoping we field a strong team and play well enough to keep on pushing for the playoff spots.

It seems to be windy on the east side of Edinburgh permanently at the moment, Tuesday looks relatively ok, just gusts in the 20mph + range 😀

14 hours ago, Brummo said:

Please can we have less wind this time round? 

No. I'm ready for the match and am going to stand behind our goal when Mo are attacking. All requests for tunes are welcomed... 

bike.jpg.16d2177edc4e4f4543a831faf0d0d947.jpg

40 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

No. I'm ready for the match and am going to stand behind our goal when Mo are attacking. All requests for tunes are welcomed... 

bike.jpg.16d2177edc4e4f4543a831faf0d0d947.jpg

You'll get a few bum notes out of that. 

My requests: The Wind Beneath My Wings.

Trumpet (un)Voluntary 

Not sure if I will leave work early to go to this... just such a faff to get to from Aberdeen.... 

Having wasted time and money to get there, be late and see 15 seconds of football before the call off I just dunno if i can do it again...... 

Really poor first half from a Montrose perspective, no urgency at all.

City have been the better team and have carved out the better chances, Montrose have rarely threatened.

Dick Campbell sitting almost in front of us, scouting mission 🤔

If I had come down from Montrose for that (and there were a fair amount did) I would have been raging. The Mo fans seem very passive though, little dissension at all.

Didn’t look like Montrose were up for it at all, whereas Edinburgh where biting into tackles and played very well.

Seemed little urgency from Montrose until closer to the end, thought some of their players were less than committed. A few of the younger lads that came on second half didn’t seem up for the fight, a couple of them shirked 50/50 challenges which I would have been extremely pissed off with if I had been a Mo fan.  

Well done City, absolutely deserved victory.

Seemed a decent enough crowd as well for a midweek game., probably as many there as for the first attempt.

Edited by Cowdenleith

Well done City! The new team that McIndoe put together in very tough circumstances are better than the table suggests. With a wee bit of experience (had they kept Fontaine and See even) I think they would have picked up more points. Obviously did us a wee favour there tonight but I'm glad for players and fans regardless. Be nice if you could grab another one and make it back into double figures for the season. 

When you think a top of the table East of Scotland League clash might be a better spectacle and miss a City win... 

fist.jpg.096f686c269df3f4690dfa675fcb856d.jpg

..they'll probably win on Saturday too as I'm missing that as well..