Dundee v Motherwell - 6th April

I'll take the hit and start this match thread.

Potential for Dundee to claim top 6 status (!) if results go our way, or could Motherwell start their late charge into the sunlit uplands of another home match against one of the Bigot Brothers?

As indicated by the topic tag, there's also the distinct possibility of another postponement if the rain keeps up, which would go down very well at SPFL HQ, I'm sure...

It’ll be a minor miracle if this goes ahead. 

There’s barely a part of Dundee that doesn’t have standing water. There’s literally nowhere for it to go because the ground is so saturated. 

I’m not saying our pitch isn’t an issue, but we’re not being helped by the surrounding conditions. Plus the fact it seems to always rain before our home games, and be dry before our away games. 

Just change it to Ibrox and be done with it. We're getting horsed either way.

Edit: Not the Motherwell game obvz, that would be silly. 

Edited by Dee Man

If this game does not go ahead then the powers that be will have no choice but to deduct Dundee…….checks how many points they are ahead in the table…..I would say 10 points. Only fair.

Leaving aside the well documented drainage pitch issues the rain has been relentless in Edinburgh also. Rather depressing looking at any forecast as there is rarely a day in the next 10 days where it is not raining for some or all all of the day. Welcome to Scottish spring time 🤮.

Either that or if the game does go ahead Dundee players are forced to play in Wellies. Still would score a couple of goals against our not so solid defence. 

Hoping this goes ahead but by the 10th the only way in and oot of Dundee is onboard an Ark, just to see the STATEMENT that comes out of Ibrox.

Incidentally, if there was a fixture at Dens tonight, what are the chances it would be on?

The game will go on and will end up 2-2. The pitch will be an absolute mess at full time but the grounds staff will get it playable (just) for the following Wednesday. It'll be an absolute tattie field and against all odds the Dee will get a draw (early McCowan strike cancelled out by a Tavernier penalty). It will probably be the worst game seen at Dens in years due to the conditions and the Ibrox club will be raging about the state of the pitch, more so when they lose the league by one point.

Anyway back to Saturday and I'm going for a draw given that's been the result between the two sides in the previous encounters this season

I am reminded that we played Dundee in the first game of the season in the height of summer, as I entered through the turnstile I was told to keep a hold of my ticket as this match may be off.

I am conflicted, I have a ticket but I also have a bit of a sesh planned for the Friday evening then intend driving north.  Could we agree to play it on the Sunday?

Surprised if this game or the Rangers game goes ahead. And given our record this season it'll take a minor miracle for both to be on. No doubt the Peepul will ensure that this game is the one to take the bullet. 

Can't even begin to think about predictions or talking about a game of football as I've genuinely no confidence in actually being in the stand to witness one come Saturday.

Would love this game and the Dundee v Rangers to be postponed just for the giggles.

I have an odd feeling about it as I think we'll lose if it goes ahead but we'll play better than the last couple as this fixture will suit us more.

Would be delighted with a point but think we'll lose 2-1.

They don't usually schedule matches for the midweek immediately after the Cup semis, do they?

Can see us playing Sevco on the 24th or something, but only after the SPFL has ensured they play their next fixture on the following Sunday, because rest is obviously more important for Glasgow-based sides, and it wont be the final OF match for similar ridiculous reasons as to why the postponed fixture wasn't rearranged for tonight.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Big tent over the pitch with make shift gutters on the deck to run the water out the gates and down Sandeman street directly into Tannadice. Sorted. 

if these games are off i hope we do the decent thing and give Motherwell plenty of notice to save fans from travelling i also hope we leave any call off of the rangers game until about 7pm just for a laugh.

53 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Surely if you covered all the problem areas with some sort of protection, that would work?

I think the problem with covering just some areas is that once the rain lands on the already saturated uncovered surface of a pitch the water doesn’t just sink vertically it will flow both above and below the surface towards ever so slightly lower lying area of the pitch.  Meaning the soaked areas may / will likely be the the lowest level and that is why water is pooling there.  Also covering up a relatively large area will lead to a large amount of rainfall running off the edges of the cover and I don’t think it’s practical to make sure all the edges are well off the pitch.

I understand the club don’t want to spend money on Dens if the intention is to move to a new stadium but I wonder if there is some sort of rain protection system that can cover a whole pitch?  A system that could simply be moved to any new stadium if the time ever comes for that.

I know what I’m trying to say above.  Not sure if it makes any sense the way I’ve written it though.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I think the problem with covering just some areas is that once the rain lands on the already saturated uncovered surface of a pitch the water doesn’t just sink vertically it will flow both above and below the surface towards ever so slightly lower lying area of the pitch.  Meaning the soaked areas may / will likely be the the lowest level and that is why water is pooling there.  Also covering up a relatively large area will lead to a large amount of rainfall running off the edges of the cover and I don’t think it’s practical to make sure all the edges are well off the pitch.

I understand the club don’t want to spend money on Dens if the intention is to move to a new stadium but I wonder if there is some sort of rain protection system that can cover a whole pitch?  A system that could simply be moved to any new stadium if the time ever comes for that.

I know what I’m trying to say above.  Not sure if it makes any sense the way I’ve written it though.

This is not really an option that clubs choose.  As you can imagine there is a huge volume of water you've got to put somewhere - every millimetre of rain on that pitch is seven tonnes of water, thats a lot of water! Often if the water tables are full the water is coming up from the ground so covers do not help.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh