Dundee v Motherwell - 6th April

Didn't we just dump sand on the pitch's problem areas last season and that did the trick for the last few home games? Looked awful but at least it was effective, surely we're at that kind of point now.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This is not really an option that clubs choose.  As you can imagine there is a huge volume of water you've got to put somewhere - every millimetre of rain on that pitch is seven tonnes of water, thats a lot of water! Often if the water tables are full the water is coming up from the ground so covers do not help.

Valid points well made.  

Apparently this is the 8th wettest winter in the UK since records began.  A mate owns a large number of properties and he was saying that several of the chimneys of the tenements are soaked through and they are just not getting a chance to dry out.  He’s owned the effected flats for quite a number of years and he can’t recall anything as bad as this winter.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Didn't we just dump sand on the pitch's problem areas last season and that did the trick for the last few home games? Looked awful but at least it was effective, surely we're at that kind of point now.

You'd need between 60 to 100 tonnes of sand for the whole pitch - if it's just a few problem areas then obviously a lot less.  Ground needs to be spiked first though, otherwise the water just sits on the sand. Spiking alone won't work.

Got to admit, I'm a bit confused by the fact that Scottish football groundsmen appear to believe that the only way to deal with standing water on a flooded pitch is to spike the bejesus out of the ground, then cross their fingers and hope it eventually drains away. Most other sports have machinery and equipment that lifts the excess water off the surface without damaging it in any way, but these machines are seemingly unheard of in football 🤷‍♂️

43 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This is not really an option that clubs choose.  As you can imagine there is a huge volume of water you've got to put somewhere - every millimetre of rain on that pitch is seven tonnes of water, thats a lot of water! Often if the water tables are full the water is coming up from the ground so covers do not help.

This is what I assumed. If the drains are blocked then the water will be coming up from beneath the pitch in certain areas. 

I do find it quite strange that the pitch is so bad that you are already talking about the next two games being off, its going to be mostly dry tomorrow, mostly light rain both Friday and Saturday. Doesnt seem to be any other games being talked of as in doubt.

The other problem is delaying the games are unlikely to be an option as they could be pivotal in deciding top 6, so this could delay the post split fixtures being decided.

Those Dundonians, up to no good as usual.

I noticed the already postponed Civil Service Strollers v's Gretna 2008 match was, yet again, postponed last night due to a waterlogged pitch. Does anyone know if Gretna 2008 released an irate STATEMENT prompting an investigation from the Lowland League?

12 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I do find it quite strange that the pitch is so bad that you are already talking about the next two games being off, its going to be mostly dry tomorrow, mostly light rain both Friday and Saturday. Doesnt seem to be any other games being talked of as in doubt.

The other problem is delaying the games are unlikely to be an option as they could be pivotal in deciding top 6, so this could delay the post split fixtures being decided.

Nae bother Sean Batty - the forecast I'm reading says heavy rain Friday. 

Edited by Dee Man

55 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Fans have a habit of thinking of a waterlogged pitch as some bad weather and what they can see on the surface of the pitch. Understandable, obviously, but Dens seems to have hot stops of actual saturated ground (think ground as in quite a bit below that pitch surface). The more wet weather the worse it gets. The rain has nowhere to go and just sits on the pitch surface. It appears to be getting worse. 

Forecast at the moment is an OK Thursday then heavy rain back again on Friday and a windy, rainy Saturday morning. 

Strangely enough I think awful weather and a heavy pitch may be a leveller and good news for us. Not that Dundee are streets ahead of us, certainly in points terms, but that 1st half in the 3-3 game at Fir Park was some of the best attacking football I have seen from an away side this season.

We blew our chance of top 6 losing to Aberdeen. So any points gained before the split are to realistically keep us away from 11th place. So yes blustery winds, rain etc and game on please. But very much doubt it will get the green light.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

The forecast is for heavy rain in Dundee Friday and Saturday. It’s already raining pretty heavy. 

15 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Would love this game and the Dundee v Rangers to be postponed just for the giggles.

I have an odd feeling about it as I think we'll lose if it goes ahead but we'll play better than the last couple as this fixture will suit us more.

Would be delighted with a point but think we'll lose 2-1.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF