Rovers v Airdrie - Tuesday 09/04

2 hours ago, stevoraith said:

You see the “the standard of the league is really poor this year” line trotted out a lot and generally it’s nonsense. 
I mean, how do you even begin to measure that. Folk will say it when one team runs away with the league and they’ll say it when it’s tight between all teams and the reality is that the quality of the league in general has no bearing on either of those outcomes. 

I think this year has been pretty good quality-wise. Most of the teams could beat each other on their day. Even Arbroath rooted to the bottom are not an awful anti-football team like we’ve seen with some teams in recent years. Given the opportunity most of the teams will try to play decent football. 

Which is a decent Segway into talking about Airdrie…..

Alan above mentioned that we’ve been poor against Airdrie in all the games so far and that is true but I think that’s on Airdrie more than it’s on us- Airdrie have not allowed us to play well, they’ve got their game plan spot-on to nullify us and play how they want to play. 
If we want to win the league we’ll need to figure how how to stamp our authority on this game and dictate rather than be dictated to. 
God knows how we do that but I’d suggest the two holding-midfielders formation from Saturday would be a good place to start. 

Definitely, you never hear the opposite that the league is 'very high quality this year'. I think because it's almost always used in a round about way to play down another team's achievements, or in the case of this thread a supporter's own teams achievement (if you can call it that yet). For the people saying it's a poor league, what would a high quality league look like? As you say whatever shape the league table starts to take people still say that's evidence that it's poor.

By definition if you are in a lower league then the quality isn't going to be the best in terms of pure skill level. I think entertainment wise it's the best league in the country, the vast majority of games are really well contested and the league table is so competitive. I'm not sure what else people want or expect from football at this level.

31 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

He ended up in hospital for a few days with a bleed on the brain and I believe he's pretty much out for the season now. Gutting for him but his safety and recovery comes first. 

First of me hearing about it all. I wish him a speedy recovery. Been impressed with him this season. 

It’s the equivalent of the people who say two pish teams when their team loses. Pure sour grapes. If we did win it I’d be on the pitch not giving a f**k about the quality of the other teams as I’m sure United fans will be. 

Just now, pub car king said:

surprised by this given the 3 games in a week and Ian Tinkerman Murray 

Happy with that. Pick up where we left off with no wind. If it’s not working then plenty of options on the bench. 

You all hated my comment, looks like boss man agrees with me , I'll be back here later to give you all a wee tip of the hat when we win 😉 

Honestly wonder what some of you watch on a Saturday, cause it's certainly no what's been played in front of you. 

Said it all season, 5 man midfield with grit. This isn't a game for a playmaker, it's a game to stamp authority on and try and control. 

Vaughan isn't superman, he's a good player for sure but sometimes having your good players come off the bench is actually tactically better than starting them. 

Correct call from Murray - he'll be pleased to hear that I agree with him.

Really enjoy the stability of two holding midfielders in our team, means someone of an attacking persuasion has to miss out (in this case Vaughan) but we look a much more balanced side. Cue Airdrie breaking through the midfield lines 12 times in the first 10mins and scoring 6.

1 minute ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

You all hated my comment, looks like boss man agrees with me , I'll be back here later to give you all a wee tip of the hat when we win 😉 

Honestly wonder what some of you watch on a Saturday, cause it's certainly no what's been played in front of you. 

Said it all season, 5 man midfield with grit. This isn't a game for a playmaker, it's a game to stamp authority on and try and control. 

Vaughan isn't superman, he's a good player for sure but sometimes having your good players come off the bench is actually tactically better than starting them. 

I agree with you wee baws. Vaughan has to play himself into this system and that means dislodging either Stanton, the centre forward or show he can play from the left.

No room for sentiment, plenty room for donner pies.

Tell you what 7 pages in and we haven’t even got to kick off yet that shows just how much this game means and how well the teams have done this season. 

Buzzing but cautious of a tough night. Completely ignoring my earlier post and going all with my gut and saying a hard fought 1-1 

6 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Your comment was dumb because you said the squad needs an overhaul while having been in the top two spots for the vast majority of the season. 

If it makes your day thinking Murray agrees with you, then you bash on. 

I’m concerned that IM has fallen into a trap here. Playing Airdrie like every other match this season is, in my mind, risky. We’ll see, supposedly it’s why they pay him. It will pretty much give us a read for Matthews vs Byrne, so there’s that.