Can Airdrieonians Get Promoted?

2 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

If we make the playoffs we are the outsiders for a reason and a I accept that. On paper we have the weakest squad, lowest budget, likely lowest place team of the 4. It is unlikely we go up if finishing in the playoffs.

This idea however that we are just making up the numbers, have absolute no chance at all, premier teams will turn us over, we peaked too early. All just seems a mixture of jealousy of our season and complete lack of respect for what we have produce on the park this season.

We play some of the best football in the division, have the second best defence in the league, we have beaten Partick twice (that’s no disrespect to them), our record against Raith is unbelievable, won at Tannadice, challenge cup winners, beat Dundee and took County to extra time in the league cup, cruised past St Johnstone in the Scottish cup (score line absolute flattered them). 

So would be the underdogs to go up absolutel but we are not just here making up numbers, the idea we have just peaked at the seasons end is also all wrong see below our form the last 20 games is only bettered by Dundee Utd. That’s not peaking that’s fantastic consistency for over half the season. 

IMG_6437.jpeg

IMG_6438.png

We’ve beat Partick once. 

I like and admire your case but I’d rather we kept going about things quietly, for obvious reasons. However that ship seems to have sailed already/somewhat understandably given the hype.  I’m not even so sure I can ever be arsed with top league football due to VAR and I’d be surprised if I wasn't the only football fan in the world who thinks like this.

7 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

We’ve beat Partick once. 

I like and admire your case but I’d rather we kept going about things quietly, for obvious reasons. However that ship seems to have sailed already/somewhat understandably given the hype.  I’m not even so sure I can ever be arsed with top league football due to VAR and I’d be surprised if I wasn't the only football fan in the world who thinks like this.

Changed the Partick part 

On 13/04/2024 at 12:36, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

The best is still to come from this team.

This is the kind of thing that people post immediately before their team turn to absolute shite.

Here’s hoping, tbh. 

It would give me the upmost pleasure if we met Airdrie in the playoffs and got our act together and papped them out. We got the ICT and Dunfermline at East End hoodoo off our backs this season and instead inherited Airdrie-fooking-onians as our new bogey team. They've been a monumental pain in the arse in our games and have been absolutely the best footballing team I've seen us play this season. Tactically McCabe has schooled Murray time and time again so if they get past Partick, which is totally doable, they'll fancy themselves against us. The final might be a step too far but you just never know.

If Airdrie beat Partick, and then meet us in the semi, I would hope Airdrie would beat St Johnstone or Ross County in the final....  just like any of the Championship teams playing a Prem side who should be down on merit.

We canny buy a win against Airdrie and it kind or irks me.  (They are a good footballing side though).

aye I can’t see it. It’s a free hit for us, however, that doesn’t mean we should be taking it lightly. Every game will Be a challenge. If we somehow manage to get past partick then it wouldn’t surprise me if raith got I’ve their hoodoo. Surely has to happen eventually albeit I’ve said this every game. 

It’s just nice to be an airdrie fan at the moment. As I always say, got to enjoy these times as a supporter of a diddy club because it can all change very quickly. 

4 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

If Airdrie beat Partick, and then meet us in the semi, I would hope Airdrie would beat St Johnstone or Ross County in the final....  just like any of the Championship teams playing a Prem side who should be down on merit.

We canny buy a win against Airdrie and it kind or irks me.  (They are a good footballing side though).

We’ve already beat st Johnstone this season in the cup so if we made it that far I’d be quite confident. Think going up to Dingwall would be a step too far though.

In saying that I can’t remember the last time we won at firhill so the quarters would be enough of a struggle.

On 13/04/2024 at 12:36, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I may get shot down for this but I think with Ballantyne coming back in to the team and the way McGill is creating havoc up front McCabe has found his best line up. The best is still to come from this team.

Unfortunately it looks like Ballantyne is back on the injured list again.

I fancy them to get to the final, I think they could take care of the other championship teams and then it’s a lottery against the Premier League side.  They’ve currently got all the momentum so you never know.  

There’s something about them, quite similar in terms of squad size and raw ability to the Livingston side that went up through the playoffs in 2018.  Very different styles of football, but psychologically quite similar.

Livi and Hamilton have shown that a manager and a group of players can come out of nowhere and get promoted, Billy Reid and David Hopkin/Martindale took unfancied teams up and kept them up thanks to other teams having nightmares in their debut seasons. 

Airdrie probably have more chance against the Premier teams than they do against Thistle or Rovers so I don't think they will. 

I think the Premiership team will win out, I kind of hope not whoever gets to the finals.

However I would say no based on the above for the original question. 

Would be a massive jump for Airdrieonians if they did get up after just landing in the second tier after a decade or so in the seaside leagues.

Then again it wouldn't be much different to when Thistle, Hamilton and Livingston went up so they could adapt to their newer surroundings fine, if the opportunity arises.

After Saturday, we would really have to up our game, particularly in regards to resilience, to go much further. That said, happy with 4th; didnt have much hope for this season due to our lackluster summer transfer dealings, so where we have ended up is well beyond expectations regardless.

Edited by G_H