Dubai Floods.

46 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

I don't know, I think most people would say that John Squire was the brains behind the Stone Roses and by miles a better songwriter while Ian Brown's strength was purely being the frontman with an easily recognisable singing style and an attitude. Ian Brown's solo career has proved this, initially he had some success built on his previous reputation but it quickly got old.

I didn't didn't go to Rock Ness the year Ian Brown performed but I could hear him sing 8 miles away as the wind carried the music up the glen to where I lived at the time and I got the full experience of his recognisable singing style 🫣, .....what would that be at the time maybe 15-18 years of performing live and he still can't f***ing hold a note, flat as a pancake. It was dreadful for someone of that experience not to learn and push himself to improve. I also heard the The Prodigy's set blown up the Glen by the wind in my direction and there was nothing wrong with how they sounded, even if the sound would fade and then come back. That was quite enjoyable, sitting in the garden 8 miles away from Dores and being able to hear The Prodigy.

Tim Burgess I think is a far better frontman and songwriter and just solidly a decent guy. The Charlatans have a lot more staying power than many of the other bands that were born around the same time that became part of the 'scene' Much of that down to the quality of the songwriting consistancy and band members that generally didn't end up hating each other due to egos. I would like to read their story, if Tim Burgess ever writes an autobiography.

I read Telling Stories a few years ago. Cracking read, though you would be forgiven for wondering how he is still alive given his substance shenanigans.

6 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I read Telling Stories a few years ago. Cracking read, though you would be forgiven for wondering how he is still alive given his substance shenanigans.

I've just ordered that, cheers for letting me know. I'll look forward to reading it. I'm reading Gary Numan's autobiography just now and I have the Bernard Sumner one lined up as well for after that. Thank you.

Between 10th and 11th is an underrated album. It didn't get the credit it deserved due all the pop kids ditching indie for rave at the time.

Chewing Gum Weekend is fucking brilliant.

Just remembered I still have the Over Rising EP on vinyl. I'm off to bang it on.

2 hours ago, Venti said:

Saw them at TITP not long after Tellin' Stories came out.

Amazing band.

Was that the year they were added as a late replacement for Bowie? 

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Was that the year they were added as a late replacement for Bowie? 

Could have been. Bowie defo wasn't there that year.

The Flaming Lips were there. Underrated band.

16 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

I've just ordered that, cheers for letting me know. I'll look forward to reading it. I'm reading Gary Numan's autobiography just now and I have the Bernard Sumner one lined up as well for after that. Thank you.

Sumners is also a very good read though my personal favourite of the Manchester genre is The Hacienda: How not to run a club by Peter Hook. 

1 hour ago, CityDave94 said:

I don't know, I think most people would say that John Squire was the brains behind the Stone Roses and by miles a better songwriter while Ian Brown's strength was purely being the frontman with an easily recognisable singing style and an attitude. Ian Brown's solo career has proved this, initially he had some success built on his previous reputation but it quickly got old.

I think I’d have probably agreed with that after the first LP but the Seahorses being awful kinda shoots it down. There’s an argument (that I have some sympathy with) to say Brown saved The Second Coming from being properly bad by not being able to sing; if he had a big rawk voice, it’d just have sounded like a bad Led Zep tribute. 

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

I think I’d have probably agreed with that after the first LP but the Seahorses being awful kinda shoots it down. There’s an argument (that I have some sympathy with) to say Brown saved The Second Coming from being properly bad by not being able to sing; if he had a big rawk voice, it’d just have sounded like a bad Led Zep tribute. 

Its sad thing that there would and should have been a real second album around 1990 or early 1991 from the Stone Roses. Completely ruined by the fighting over contracts between record labels. They weren't allowed to even record new music.

I'm not sure if some of that new material that had been written back then is on the Second Coming, I assume so. That would have been problematic since that sound would have been out of date in 1994 plus no John Leckie to produce and mix, so those songs would have had to be changed. The Second Coming was actually a pretty good album looking back now and came out just after the start of what was called Brit pop in the music press so came out exactly at the right time for um .....a third album. They hadn't been forgotten about which was good, but some of the comments I got about the album was that some fans expected the Second Coming to be similar to the 1st and were dissappointed. I'm not surprised since the gap was about five and a half years and music had evolved and changed so much very quickly. It did sell well and continued to sell well for a good couple of years more.

I'm listening to the new material John Squire has recorded with Liam Gallagher for the first time just now, track - 'Just Another Rainbow' sounds quite psychedelic.

5 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

Northern Uproar, that's a blast from the past, that made me go to YT and watch a couple of their music videos just now. Still going according to wiki, though their last album was in 2015.

They were on the last series of Dragons Den. One of the dragons thought they could be the next Oasis. Lol. 

16 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

I actually have zero f***s about Dubai, their preps for this ever happening is zero, so much focus of excess and so much complacency. In the desert with more money than common sense and have never concluded that a storm that occurred in 1949 might just happen again but with a much bigger population and zero place for the water to go, eg. no storm drains. First time I saw pictures of Dubai years ago and the vast speed of development, my first though about it was its built at sea level, this would be a disaster if a hurricane struck the place. Of course experts would claim that this has never happened. I would say yet!!

Every now and then nature reminds us that she is in charge, despite our best efforts to control what cannot be controlled.

Ach, that's like saying we should make buildings in the UK earthquake-proof like they have to in parts of Japan and elsewhere.  You can't, and shouldn't, allow for every possibility when creating something .  I do agree with the point that they should have anticipated storms given their past experience. 

15 hours ago, Hiram Holliday said:

Jeez….talk about going off topic…😢

Sorry, but this thread became more interesting when it went off topic, in fact paint drying is more interesting than the horrifically misogynistic Dubai where women are no better than dogs. Shame it doesn’t rain there for forty days and forty nights. 

46 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Ach, that's like saying we should make buildings in the UK earthquake-proof like they have to in parts of Japan and elsewhere.  You can't, and shouldn't, allow for every possibility when creating something .  I do agree with the point that they should have anticipated storms given their past experience. 

Which point are you making the analogy for since I only made one point?

The late 80s and 90s was a horrendous time period for rock music in Britain. It still hasn't recovered, probably never will at this point. Always made me laugh that people were dumfounded that yer Oasis etc never caught on the USA. The reason Britpop never caught on in America was because Britpop was, and remains, utter toilet. They were pumping out golden era hip-hop, grunge, post hardcore, starting all the extreme metal genres and all we could offer was a bunch of thick neds in parkas and their 3 chords on a guitar. 

22 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Which point are you making the analogy for since I only made one point?

Two points surely - one preparing for an event that has never happened before (hurricanes) and one that has (storms).   Asking them to prepare for an event that has never happened before would be like asking the UK to do similar.  

35 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

The late 80s and 90s was a horrendous time period for rock music in Britain. It still hasn't recovered, probably never will at this point. Always made me laugh that people were dumfounded that yer Oasis etc never caught on the USA. The reason Britpop never caught on in America was because Britpop was, and remains, utter toilet. They were pumping out golden era hip-hop, grunge, post hardcore, starting all the extreme metal genres and all we could offer was a bunch of thick neds in parkas and their 3 chords on a guitar. 

Oasis weren’t very popular there but they were influential. I remember seeing an interview with Metallica where they said that definitely maybe changed how they approached music. 

There was a lot of variety in the acts that got collectively called “britpop” by some lazy journalists desperate to be part of a scene. While “toilet” might be a pretty good description of Menswear or Shed Seven, they’d little in common with the Boo Radleys or The Divine Comedy.  Even if you also think they’re shite you can surely hear that they’re not the same thing. 

If we’re lumping stuff in together and judging it by its low points, then “Golden Era Hip Hop” is shite because it’s all Puff Daddy covering Sting and Vanilla Ice and the 2live Crew.

we might be talking at cross purposes though because I thought most of grunge was pap and I don’t like metal, never mind the extreme stuff. 

What postcrete has to do with anything I don’t know.