Dumbarton v Elgin 27/04/24

A difficult one to call.  Sons look to build momentum for their latest playoff tilt, but our visitors will travel down buoyed by a much improved record under their new management team.  Hail Hale and all that.

With Spartans and Peterhead squaring up it could be an interesting afternoon.

2 things I want from Saturday's game.

1. Avoid injuries.

2. Get a half way decent result.

Avoiding injury is the big one. We've got one eye on the play-offs and we need to avoid injuries to key players. The idea of losing key players going into the play-offs is worrying and the temptation in the next 2 games would presumably be to rotate the starting 11 and to try to get some playing time to guys we may need to use in the play-offs whilst protecting our first choice in those positions. Not that we've got a big squad, but you'd probably be looking at the likes of Kelly and Healy starting ahead of Hilton, Wallace or Orsi.

But that's a huge risk. Elgin will want to end the season maintaining their improved form. What we also have to avoid is taking a bit of a tanking this week and next because you suddenly find yourself going into the play-offs in terrible form and with no confidence. So we need to play well enough in the next 2 weeks that we go into the play-offs with our head up. A bit of belief. Not going into those games on the back of poor results against Elgin and Peterhead, especially since there's a good chance that we'll be playing Peterhead in the semis.

No injuries and a solid, if unspectacular, win. Anything more than that is a big positive. Anything less is a worry with our schedule over the next few weeks in mind.

I don't imagine Elgin are going to be battling like their life depends on it, they're safe and have nothing to play for. Of course injuries can happen at any time but I suspect this will be played out closer to a friendly than a competitive league match. I'd rather we kept a strong team where possible and went out for the win. Another clean sheet would be magic too. 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't imagine Elgin are going to be battling like their life depends on it, they're safe and have nothing to play for. Of course injuries can happen at any time but I suspect this will be played out closer to a friendly than a competitive league match. I'd rather we kept a strong team where possible and went out for the win. Another clean sheet would be magic too. 

I think you’re correct. Elgin are down to the bare bones. 4 subs last week which includes the goalie and several others looking like they have nothing left to give. I can’t see Elgin bursting a gut in this one.

1 minute ago, Super Elgin City said:

Very frustrating. Doubt it will even come back on now.

My guess is they won’t realise that it’s even down until half time. Hopefully they’ll fix it then. 

Orsi having a stormer. Gray having a stinker. Hogarth and Kelly mince. Lennon playing well. Ruth playing well. Carlo both good and bad at once, great crossing and overlapping with Orsi, but poor defensively and keeps trying to overplay and hold the ball too long.