Firstscotrail Whatever The Feck They're Called

Rugster

I went up few weeks ago on the £19.50 ticket. I checked the tickets for Christmas then and couldn't find the APEX price :(

We'll decide later if it's worth the hassell or take the car.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A return from Greenock to Arbroath (don't ask) using the Advance Saver rate is around 30 quid. Aye, cheers, First, I'll be taking you up on that...

... PSYCH! I won't be taking you up on that at all! Ha ha.

You have to watch them because they will try to con you. I often get the the train from Inverness to Stirling and back on a Saturday for the football.....if you ask for a day return they will charge you £40. If you get a day return to Perth though its £18 and a day return from Perth to Stirling is £5. I have to change in Perth anyway with the £40 pound ticket but they wouldnt tell you could save the best part of £17 by buying two tickets!

Rowan - the other alternative is the megabus. Not ideal but it will be a lot cheaper than £105 for the two of you!

I went up few weeks ago on the £19.50 ticket. I checked the tickets for Christmas then and couldn't find the APEX price :(

APEX fares bit the dust a wee while ago and were replaced with 'Advance' tickets, which work under the same principle, only pricier. Surprise! :lol:

Is the line still flooded at Perth? Took a southbound from Aberdeen last night to Edinburgh, all the trains to Glasgow QS were cancelled.....

You have to watch them because they will try to con you. I often get the the train from Inverness to Stirling and back on a Saturday for the football.....if you ask for a day return they will charge you £40. If you get a day return to Perth though its £18 and a day return from Perth to Stirling is £5. I have to change in Perth anyway with the £40 pound ticket but they wouldnt tell you could save the best part of £17 by buying two tickets!

Rowan - the other alternative is the megabus. Not ideal but it will be a lot cheaper than £105 for the two of you!

Good info there.

Addenum: watch out for the peak/offpeak shite. Buying after 9:30am is so much cheaper. Purchasing a return from, say, Greenock to Edinburgh at 8:30am is more expensive than buying Greenock to Glasgow then Glasgow to Edinburgh if the second leg starts at 9:30 or after.

How can I find out if the Dunblane/Stirling line has re-opened? I don't want to drive on Saturday but if the trains are cancelled, I'll have little option.

http://nationalrail.co.uk/service_bulletins/today.html

or.....

http://www.journeycheck.com/firstscotrail/

Currently, it looks like Perth to Glasgow trains are running, but via Fife. That adds 40 minutes to the journey, from experience.

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

I'll just take the car if that's still the case on Saturday. Now, forget your reverse parking, I've never parked in a multi-storey before! :lol:

Well if you're only used to parking in the Overgate (as a passenger obviously) then you'll find the Buchan Galleries car park to be a bit of a bugger if your driving

Well if you're only used to parking in the Overgate (as a passenger obviously) then you'll find the Buchan Galleries car park to be a bit of a bugger if your driving

Hmmm, quite a challenge...

I always park at the college when I go to Dundee, it's a short walk from the city centre and costs about £2 for the entire day. Really good.

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

Hmmm, quite a challenge...

I always park at the college when I go to Dundee, it's a short walk from the city centre and costs about £2 for the entire day. Really good.

I use the car park down at the new retail park on Dock Street (where JJB, Matalan and all that pish are) as it's free for the first two hours :D

Probably not much use to a female but 2 hours is ample time for a bloke's shopping spree :D

I am going to Glasgow or Stirling tomorrow on the choo! :(

Might be lucky if you can get to Stirling tomorrow by train - not sure what the situation is.

Best check National Rail Enquiries in the morning ;)

Scotrail can go fist themselves after their diddy train service today.

Leaving Aberdeen they couldn't get the 2 trains to couple up.

At Inverness the Aberdeen - Inverness train was late getting in and the resultant return service to Aberdeen and the train to Kyle (they split the train at Inverness) would now be late. Normally the Inv - Abdn train leaves at 1808 and the Inv - Kyle train at 1815.

Rather oddly they decided that people could go onto the Kyle train first as that would be allowed to leave first. They then changed their mind and said that the Aberdeen train would go first - as I would have thought seeing as it is normally meant to leave earlier anyway.

Cue two lines of people trying to get to the same platform, going to 2 different places with no organisation and Scotrail not really having a clue.

Then they couldn't get the 2 trains to de-couple and our train to Aberdeen broke down at Keith so they had to power down one of the carriages of the train and shift everyone into the one carriage.

Pish!

It turnd out to be over £120, i miss calculated. Bus won't take us as they don't allow puppies. Decided to take the car. It's going to be the cheapest and easiest option.

Archived