Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

So the "fairest" solution is to make one team play more games?

What’s unfair about playing 2 extra games over an entire season? If you factor in cup games you’re going to struggle to find two teams playing the exact same number of games in a season. It’s a ridiculous argument.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

What’s unfair about playing 2 extra games over an entire season?

You understand the complaint is that its weighted towards Premiership sides because 3rd/4th have to play 2 extra games, dont you?

So what is it? Do the 2 extra games give an advantage to someone or not?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You understand the complaint is that its weighted towards Premiership sides because 3rd/4th have to play 2 extra games, dont you?

So what is it? Do the 2 extra games give an advantage to someone or not?

Do you want to point out where I said that?

Edited by eez-eh

The Premiership teams have 10 months to fit in their 2 extra games, not withstanding the difference that there will always be due to cup games.

I don’t think it should be used as an excuse to parachute some dug meant side that finished second bottom of their league into the very last stage of the play-offs.

Hopefully that makes it straightforward enough that you don’t need to infer my opinion from other people.

2 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Those were two good games, with two good teams going for it.  I think Airdrie probably were the better side over the piece (of course I would), but we paid the price for not taking our chances when we were on top in the first leg.  Lack of real cutting edge as the complement to our excellent buildup play has been the problem for us this season in general - but that's fine, it's a work in progress.  The fundamentals are there, and if McCabe is happy to stay at Airdrie next season, it'll get better.  Brian Graham and an incompetent linesman were the difference, and not many teams have a talent like Graham at their disposal and there's nothing you can do about the officials. 

Overall, a very successful season for us, and lots to look forward to next year.  I think the best is yet to come from this Airdrie team.

I understand the optimism after an excellent showing this season. But isn’t there a concern among Airdrie fans that your popular young management team, high performing loanees and over performing league one players will be picked off by wealthier suitors this summer? 

It looks to me from the outside that Airdrie’s momentum will be extremely difficult to maintain, but I was wrong about them this season, so who knows. 

Posted (edited)

I can understand the 11th place team only having time to play the final given the domestic calendar, but the 4th placed team has only beaten the 3rd placed team once in over a decade. That tie serves little purpose apart from tiring out the 3rd placed team and overly condensing the schedules of the championship sides in general.

I would just go for a two legged SF between 2nd and 3rd on the two weekends after the regular season ends and then a neutral ground one off final on the following Sunday. 4th place team misses out.

Edited by JS_FFC

23 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

I understand the optimism after an excellent showing this season. But isn’t there a concern among Airdrie fans that your popular young management team, high performing loanees and over performing league one players will be picked off by wealthier suitors this summer? 

It looks to me from the outside that Airdrie’s momentum will be extremely difficult to maintain, but I was wrong about them this season, so who knows. 

It's certainly a concern, but we just need to hope that the much greater financial returns of this season allow us to retain who we can and reaplace who we must.  There's a few, like Megwa, who surely won't be at Airdrie next season, but McCabe supposedly said at the 1924 centenary dinner that he had everyone under 25 signed up who he wanted... that prompts the question of who those players were, of course.

On 11/05/2024 at 14:43, RandomGuy. said:

Surely thats somewhat offset by the extra 2 days rest for the Raith players compared to whoever finishes 11th.

4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Surely thats somewhat offset by the extra 2 days rest for the Raith players compared to whoever finishes 11th.

Get out of here with your common sense takes! How dare you!

4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

I think getting a bye to the final improves your odds considerably. Also 2nd leg at home. There is also the question of fairness of play offs v a higher division. The squad budget is heavily weighted towards the team from the higher league.

52 minutes ago, thisal said:

The squad budget is heavily weighted towards the team from the higher league.

I think this is a given most of the time in these arguments, but not always, I'd imagine the DU budget is miles higher than most of the bottom six this season, similarly, I'd imagine given Raiths flashing of the cash it won't be that far behind whoever they're playing.

On 10/05/2024 at 23:57, Claudia Gentile said:

Airdrie absolute cuckolds Might have had a bit of a go but the best team won.

Sums up why having 4th place in the playoffs is a farce.

Should be same arrangements as the other leagues but that won't happen out of self-interest.

Great season for Airdrie but they were 4th best for a reason and that's how it panned out.

No idea how they will do next season but if they keep their better players and their manager they should be okay but will be hard pushed to resch the playoffs, imo.

Great season for Partick but they were 3rd best for a reason and that’s how it panned out. 

Sums up why having 3rd place in the playoffs is a farce. 

Couldn’t help yourself could you 

On 11/05/2024 at 15:16, JS_FFC said:

I can understand the 11th place team only having time to play the final given the domestic calendar, but the 4th placed team has only beaten the 3rd placed team once in over a decade. That tie serves little purpose apart from tiring out the 3rd placed team and overly condensing the schedules of the championship sides in general.

I would just go for a two legged SF between 2nd and 3rd on the two weekends after the regular season ends and then a neutral ground one off final on the following Sunday. 4th place team misses out.

Yes. Let’s be honest, is 4th in a 10 team league (7th bottom) all that much of an achievement?

I quite like our league and play off set up in that it keeps the season meaningful right up to the end for the vast majority of teams.  But if folk are seriously complaining about the format then go straight to 3rd v 2nd to reduce the fixtures as you suggest.

20 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Great season for Partick but they were 3rd best for a reason and that’s how it panned out. 

Sums up why having 3rd place in the playoffs is a farce. 

Couldn’t help yourself could you 

I don't know why you're acting hurt after a week old post where drink may have been involved.

We beat you and your dog was out the race.

We gave it a good go and fell out the race on penalties at the next stage. 

Airdrie had a good season as I said but it's just the layer cake.

I'm not happy about going out but I'm comfortable with how we are doing going forward.

You should be too as long as a managerial change doesn't derail the progress you're club has made.

Have a nice summer pal.