Alloa v Accies Groundhog Day Part One

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Alloa staying down where they belong.

Look forward to playing Hamilton next season,serial bottlers..Been nothing between the teams this season,and it'll be third time lucky for us.

Hard not to feel a huge disappointment at losing out today but Accies have deserved to progress over the two ties. 

Great start for us but yet again a cross from a set piece was our undoing for the equaliser. In all honest Accies should have probably done better at a couple of the other corners they had in that sustained spell as PJ was putting us under all sorts of pressure by being glued to his line. Thankfully he started coming for a couple in the second half. 

The second goal and subsequent red card are obviously a game defining moment. Should it have been an Alloa throw? Who knows? But it wasn’t given and Accies go and capitalise on it. Might be viewed as over officious from Kirkland but Neill can’t really have any complaints, he deserved both bookings. 

Pretty heroic effort from there out from the Wasps and there’s going to be some extremely tired bodies from a lot of the guys tonight/tomorrow. Wee special mention for Stevie Hetherington coming in to start after such limited minutes since his injury, I thought he covered every blade of grass out there today. 

Brilliant to get the leveller but just couldn’t hold on. What could have been with Taylor Steven’s free kick, a game of millimetres. 

It’s a completely different game without the red and of course anything could have happened from that point, but can’t help feeling Morgyn Neill has cost us a shot at the Championship today. I am not expecting Andy to come out and put the blame on an individual in the way that we used to see Brian Rice do, but Morgyn is going to have to go a long way next season to make up for how he acted today. 

3 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

So does Rankin get any credit yet? He’s done fantastically well to get Hamilton to the playoff finals. Whatever the outcome there he’s done well to get to the final. 

Today was a bit like watching us earlier in the season. We played some good football at points, and looked especially threatening out wide which resulted in two goals from cut-backs. There were some good individual performances from the likes of Henderson and Smith, but I'd say that Rankin deserves credit for how he set them up to attack.

However... we also saw that that kind of football continues to leave the defence extremely exposed in transition. When Martin, Kilday and Fulton are at their best then that's less of a worry because you're confident that they can defend counters, but we haven't had them for much of the season and Martin clearly still isn't 100% so it's a much less wise gameplan, especially when you're coming up against a side with quality like Alloa's. It's a huge reason for why we can't control games under Rankin.

Alloa staying down where they belong.

Met some cracking Accies fans today who thankfully showed a lot more class than you. 

Another play-off epic for us at Hamilton. Started well and merited the goal. The equaliser was so soft and against the run of play but we have to defend that better, basic basic stuff. Thought Accies shaded it after that but again disappointed by our defending for the second. The real damage there was the subsequent red card. I couldn't see if it was indeed an Alloa throw in the build up to the goal but absolutely crazy behaviour from Morgyn Neil to react the way he did. Have to say, a good ref gives him the yellow then tells him to calm down rather than immediately flashing another one. He wasn't so quick to flash yellows later on despite indicating Accies were time wasting. But fact is that Neil let every one down there and he has a lot of making up to do if he is going to stay at Alloa. 

I didn't give us a hope with 10 men and a goal down in that heat but the second half was fantastic, grabbing an equaliser and continuing to threaten. We switched off for the third and you can't do that given the class Accies have in attack, but even then the Wasps came back and so so close twice to equalising again. A heroic effort. 

The progress under Andy Graham has been amazing and we will go into the new season full of hope. Lot of work to replace the excellent loans but every faith in the gaffer. Will be following those loan players with interest, they were brilliant for us and left everything out there again today with the rest of the lads 🐝

Good luck to Accies in the final. 

4 minutes ago, Laid-back Accie said:

Was given a 3 year deal during the week apparently...

2 minutes ago, Replays said:

He’s just signed a new deal to 2027.

Christ. I suppose it shows the BoD are making backing his 'project' but I can imagine the place might turn a bit toxic if he gets off to a shite start next season. 

1 minute ago, Waspie said:

Met some cracking Accies fans today who thankfully showed a lot more class than you. 

Another play-off epic for us at Hamilton. Started well and merited the goal. The equaliser was so soft and against the run of play but we have to defend that better, basic basic stuff. Thought Accies shaded it after that but again disappointed by our defending for the second. The real damage there was the subsequent red card. I couldn't see if it was indeed an Alloa throw in the build up to the goal but absolutely crazy behaviour from Morgyn Neil to react the way he did. Have to say, a good ref gives him the yellow then tells him to calm down rather than immediately flashing another one. He wasn't so quick to flash yellows later on despite indicating Accies were time wasting. But fact is that Neil let every one down there and he has a lot of making up to do if he is going to stay at Alloa. 

I didn't give us a hope with 10 men and a goal down in that heat but the second half was fantastic, grabbing an equaliser and continuing to threaten. We switched off for the third and you can't do that given the class Accies have in attack, but even then the Wasps came back and so so close twice to equalising again. A heroic effort. 

The progress under Andy Graham has been amazing and we will go into the new season full of hope. Lot of work to replace the excellent loans but every faith in the gaffer. Will be following those loan players with interest, they were brilliant for us and left everything out there again today with the rest of the lads 🐝

A good ref correctly and consistently applies the laws of the game and Morgyn left him with no option IMO than to issue the second yellow with his sarcastic hand clap after being booked for stupid dissent in the first place. If I was Andy I'd be inclined to tell O'Neill to find another club.

Posted (edited)

A lot of wasp copium tonight. Ultimately not good enough. Shame.

Looking forward to finishing above them and their annoying wee ultras one way or another next year.

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Aye, he can be a bit of a dick. 

Just now, printer said:

Aye, he can be a bit of a dick. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

A lot of wasp copium tonight. Ultimately not good enough. Shame.

Looking forward to finishing above them and their annoying wee ultras one way or another next year.

Told you.

Just now, printer said:

A good ref correctly and consistently applies the laws of the game and Morgyn left him with no option IMO than to issue the second yellow with his sarcastic hand clap after being booked for stupid dissent in the first place. If I was Andy I'd be inclined to tell O'Neill to find another club.

I know you like to defend the refs! And I normally agree. But given the magnitude of this game I think a good ref tells him after the first yellow to wisen up or he's gone. And he didn't consistently apply the laws later on despite indicating time wasting on several occasions. But I accept that's still not the main point - Neil was to blame. I'd also be questioning if he has a future at the club. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

"Game management" is a phrase that gets thrown about too often, but we really did a honking job of seeing that out. 

Think you’re spot on with this, was amazed at how poorly Accies ‘managed’ the closing period of the game against 10 men.

Would have expected them to move the ball around in a bit of a keep ball training exercise making us run sideways, but just seemed to keep turning over possession and giving us opportunities to snatch something from the game. 

Rankin's game management is a massive, massive flaw. We've seen it throughout the season and almost threw away a game today when Alloa seemed desperate to hand it to us with a stupid red. 

If we go up I'll have the absolute fear for next season. Don't look championship ready at all. 

Tell your wee wanks not to break bus windows then. Until then, round ye.

Really can't wait to feel your seething rage at missing out on promotion again.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Alloa 68 said:

Really can't wait to feel your seething rage at missing out on promotion again.

😘

Not "missed out" on promotion for about 30 years but add that to your copium cocktail if it makes you feel better.

Edited by Todd_is_God

It’s hard to be too critical when we’ve won but we made hard work of that.

Tumilty was great. Our second goal was a fantastic piece of play, I’m about 90% the ball went out for a throw but it was close. I also thought Lyness played well a good audition to get a gig for us next season if we don’t go up.

Very poor defending to allow Alloa an equaliser.

The negatives being Dylan McGowan again, unless Kilday had a knock it was criminal for him to be the one to come off over McGowan. Sammon had McGowan on toast the full 2nd half. Williamson not coming out for second half was a nice surprise.