Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ [3] Vs [3] Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 [Rovers progress on penalties]

1st Leg: Job done. We faired better than I anticipated but it was a bit of a pisser that Thistle got themselves back into the game with the jammiest of goals when we looked to be relatively comfortable. Kudos to the team for not having a complete arse collapse. I'd have taken a draw so to come away with any win was fantastic. You could argue Dabrowski kept us in it albeit none of his saves were out of the ordinary. I thought he done well with balls into the box, still a bit questionable with his kicking though. 

2nd Leg: First goal, if there is to be one, is crucial. Can imagine Thistle will come out all guns blazing and if they are able to take the lead in this game it'll be interesting how we respond. Will also be interesting to see if Doolan starts the team that finished yesterday as their subs definitely made a difference. As for us, well once again who knows how we'll line up and if Murray has something up his sleeve. 

2 minutes ago, Raithie said:

1st Leg: Job done. We faired better than I anticipated but it was a bit of a pisser that Thistle got themselves back into the game with the jammiest of goals when we looked to be relatively comfortable. Kudos to the team for not having a complete arse collapse. I'd have taken a draw so to come away with any win was fantastic. You could argue Dabrowski kept us in it albeit none of his saves were out of the ordinary. I thought he done well with balls into the box, still a bit questionable with his kicking though. 

2nd Leg: First goal, if there is to be one, is crucial. Can imagine Thistle will come out all guns blazing and if they are able to take the lead in this game it'll be interesting how we respond. Will also be interesting to see if Doolan starts the team that finished yesterday as their subs definitely made a difference. As for us, well once again who knows how we'll line up and if Murray has something up his sleeve. 

Good summary. I don't think Thistle come out guns blazing though. Had it been 2-0 then maybe, but there is 1 goal in it to make it all square, they need to keep it tight at the back and take their chances, there should be no rush for them.

Saying that, we need to come out and play like we did in the first half, press them high, make them make mistakes, make the right decisions and get some shots on target. While we scored two goals last night, we didn't really test the keeper at all otherwise and we had some good opportunities to, especially in the first half. Its going to be a really tight game I think. 

8 minutes ago, Raithie said:

still a bit questionable with his kicking though. 

Couldn't believe how poor it was, I get that not all goalkeepers are comfortable with the ball at their feet but his kicking out of hand was also pretty ropey. 

Think Murray knew exactly how we would set up and had the game plan to match that, the last 30 minutes last night will create a bit of uncertainty in his head which hopefully plays to our advantage, although Doolan's options are pretty limited. 

3 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Couldn't believe how poor it was, I get that not all goalkeepers are comfortable with the ball at their feet but his kicking out of hand was also pretty ropey. 

From the odd training clips that occasionally goes up on Twitter it seems to be something he's trying to work on and there's always seen to be an emphasis on this in the warm ups as well however I always shit myself when he gets the ball at his feet. Absolutely no concerns with any other aspect of his play, some of the saves he's pulled off this season have been outrageous and he's not been as flappy as of late. If we were to do something mental such as make the final then seeing him potentially save the winning penalty to give us promotion would make me greet, such a likeable guy. I say that he'll probably have a clamity on Friday now 🙈

Posted (edited)

Was a decent game last night. I think Raith start well again on Friday and get an early goal, killing it for Thistle. They’ll come back into it like they did last night and get an equaliser on the night, but whilst they chase a goal to level the tie they’ll get caught and Raith will get another. 2-1.

I don’t think Thistle have a hand to show that Raith don’t know about, whereas Raith didn’t even use guys like Easton, Hamilton and Mullen which will probably benefit them.

Edited by The Toun Clock

5 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Agreed. Last few games he's really shown to be the player I thought we were getting. Hope he stays. 

I wasn't advocating the change I described, merely speculating on IMs thought process.

I expect County will want him back to replace Dhanda. Always seemed a strange signing when they had Dhanda in that position already - and given I don’t think County are good enough at Prem level to play Turner further back. 

Neither Stanway or Neilson seemed to show for the ball much - or hassled as much when out of possession, although that was maybe hampered by early bookings. But when McBeth briefly moved into midfield and later Bannigan we seemed to be in Raith’s faces more and always be showing for the ball - just much more energy. Definitely what we need from the start on Friday - grab the initiative and try and get the first goal. 

4 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Thought some of our football in the first hour was brilliant and we were well in control of the game. Up until that point, on top of the two goals we also had probably the next 3 closest opportunities to score (Connollys failure to square, Turners effort and Vaughans one that was inches away). Thistle's goal was both fortunate and very good improvisation at the same time. The touch is excellent however if he doesn't slip then I think we defend that all day long.

Once it goes to 2-1 Thistles tails are up and we are definitely all about preserving the goal advantage. We rode our luck a wee bit but there was no saves Dabrowski had to make that you wouldn't expect him to, or gilt edged chances missed. I thought we were relatively comfortable seeing it out. I would say that our subs definitely made us weaker. Smith and Corr for Connolly and Watson was OK but Mcgill and Rudden for Vaughan and Brown was a significant downgrade on the night. Virtually nothing stuck with Rudden and he kept getting caught offside or giving away daft fouls. I suspect the benefits of those two subs may well be felt on Friday evening (and hopefully beyond) though as keeps two of our more effective players fresher.

In summary, I thought overall we defended better than Thistle, our midfield was better than Thistle and we were more clinical up front. Starting at home with a goal start, and if the guys on the bench are all fit and were just being rested, then I think we are in a really strong position for Friday.

It's ours to lose.

No doubt you controlled most of the 1st hour or so, but I think we had 3 chances in the 1st half just as good. Graham nicking it off McInroy, Mcinroy just wide and the save just after your 2nd goal. 
I think we needed a lead going to Starks park to really have a chance, but stranger things have happened in football.

1 hour ago, H Wragg said:

Where's best for parking for a quick getaway at full time at the away end? 

If you come in via the Orrock Quarry Road (B9157 I think) there is generally good street parking there and you can usually get out pretty quickly. 

When thistle brought on two defenders, both ex Rovers, I thought they had ran out ideas but the long ball over our midfield stopped Rovers closing them down and it worked. Alston, surely, has to start after the number of attempts at goal and good late runs he made. Was an excellent match and I’m happy with a win to take back home. 

My biggest worry now is that Murray starts to overthink things.

Surely the way forward is a high tempo from the off, go out to add to lead if at all possible and take advantage of our easy schedule compared to their four games in quick succession… Thistle should be blowing out their arses by about the hour mark!

I don’t want us sitting in and preserving any lead until maybe 5mins from the end if needed.

Granted, the opposition was inferior but we need to try and replicate our performance/style v Arbroath with the ball mostly on the deck with crisp passing and plenty movement.

Everything is in our favour, let’s get the job done!

5 hours ago, Raithie said:

From the odd training clips that occasionally goes up on Twitter it seems to be something he's trying to work on and there's always seen to be an emphasis on this in the warm ups as well however I always shit myself when he gets the ball at his feet. Absolutely no concerns with any other aspect of his play, some of the saves he's pulled off this season have been outrageous and he's not been as flappy as of late. If we were to do something mental such as make the final then seeing him potentially save the winning penalty to give us promotion would make me greet, such a likeable guy. I say that he'll probably have a clamity on Friday now 🙈

He is is definitely working on it and he would probably tell you himself it's something he needs to sort. Sometimes it looks like nervousness. Last few games he has definitely been far better coming for crosses. Arbroath in the rain comes to mind. Some of the saves this season from point blank have been outstanding.

He is a great guy, fantastic with kids. Comes to Overstenton every now and then and does the Goalkeeper training with the kid's, my boy loves it. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jasperellon said:

When thistle brought on two defenders, both ex Rovers, I thought they had ran out ideas but the long ball over our midfield stopped Rovers closing them down and it worked. Alston, surely, has to start after the number of attempts at goal and good late runs he made. Was an excellent match and I’m happy with a win to take back home. 

Yeah I think if Thistle keep that approach up we might struggle on Friday. Corr did well when he came on but I'd have been much more comfortable if Watson was available. We have the advantage but this is still well up for grabs. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Posted (edited)

I'd be tempted (assuming it hasn't already been tried somehow in training and just straight up doesn't work; Doolan's the professional here at the end of the day 🤷‍♂️) to try -

GK: Mitchell

RB: McMillan

CB: Aero (if fit, if not then Neilson)

CB: O'Reilly

LB: Milne

CM: McBeth

CM: Bannigan

AMR: Fitzpatrick

AMC: McInroy

AML: Robinson

ST: Graham

with Alston as backup to come on for McInroy once he's burst in the 2nd half, Diack an option if we're chasing the game.

McInroy is fine at passing and can shoot, but he's not quite quick or skillful enough out wide, McMillan/Fitzpatrick down the right should hopefully combine better than McMillan/McInroy, in theory getting overlaps to win corners (albeit no quality takers there, Alstons deliveries were a marked improvement on McInroys)

Need to work hard to get quality service into Graham.

Robinson down the left as a kind of inverse Lawless; again, imo Fitzpatrick and Milne were shut down pretty well by Raith.

Not having Adeloye, Wasiri or Lawless makes it a fair bit harder; end of the day Raith have finished well above us on merit, had the beating of us all season and are clearly a better side than us, so it's a tough ask whatever 11 we put out.

I'm still praying to the Football Gods giving us the blessing of a narrative whereby last season we have a better side on paper, blitzing the playoffs only to chuck it away in the final game, and this time round we claw our way through every round by the skin of our teeth and just breeze through the final game.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely