Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ [3] Vs [3] Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 [Rovers progress on penalties]

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah it's a confidence sapped side with no belief, and no direction, we've got just now. Just praying someone magicks a goal from nothing.

Its why I hate this "play offs are rigged against us" mindset Championship sides seem to go into the games with. We're 100% there for the taking, yet folk like Brian Graham are already getting excuses in and acting as if they're underdogs. Just fucking go for our throat and it'll be over after 90 minutes.

Motherwell won't f**k about against us, IMO. There's water on the bridge with former Saints managers having a go at them and Theo Bair being shite for us and thriving there. The result yesterday will encourage them to take it seriously more but I doubt they'd ever try and half arse it. Aberdeen will rotate more v County.

I get both sides of this argument to be fair.  From Graham's point of view, he said this having come through two tough matches against Airdrie, and knowing he would have to prevail over another tough two-legged tie against Rovers, just to get to a final that Saints (or indeed County) go straight into.

I don't actually think that the premiership team being at home in the second leg is an advantage though.  In general, teams will take a bigger away support for a weekend game than they will on a weeknight.  This means a potentially bigger and noisier support (especially if it's a later kick off and fans have been in the pub all afternoon) at the away leg for Rovers or Thistle.  Also, if the championship team gets a lead from the home leg it will give them a massive boost for the second leg as well as potentially adding even more to the away support (although to be fair I think either Rovers or Thistle would sell out the away end in Dingwall).

16 minutes ago, bagpuss said:

Is Muirhead likely to feature for Thistle? Wasn't he forced off on Tuesday?

He was yeah, he has been playing injured for some time and seemingly waiting on surgery post season.

O Reilly likely to start tomorrow, would be amazed if it wasn't.

16 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

O Reilly likely to start tomorrow, would be amazed if it wasn't.

I think he made first contact on pretty much every attacking corner we had during his brief spell with us. He was remarkably dangerous in the air for someone who’s not overly tall! 

3 hours ago, AllanJM said:

It really is funny how the pattern of a game can completely change attitudes. 

Before Tuesday night, most Thistle fans on here, twitter and their podcast agreed that they needed to take a lead to Stark's to get through the tie.  Now, despite losing the home leg, some Thistle fans are feeling confident because of the way they came back into the game.  I totally get that.

I don't think a single Thistle fan is confident of winning the tie. Obviously we could, and If so it wouldn't exactly be a result talked about ten years from now, or even ten months, but I think everyone knows Raith are clear favourites.

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

I get both sides of this argument to be fair.  From Graham's point of view, he said this having come through two tough matches against Airdrie, and knowing he would have to prevail over another tough two-legged tie against Rovers, just to get to a final that Saints (or indeed County) go straight into.

It's a loser mindset that feeds into the squad IMO.

We virtually played a play off game last night too.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's a loser mindset that feeds into the squad IMO.

We virtually played a play off game last night too.

Aye this is very true, was thinking about it the other day. For some reason I thought the Prem clubs had a bit of a rest whilst the Championship teams are taking part in the playoff quarters and semi finals. However, and as you rightly said, you played a very important tie last night and will do again on Sunday, therefore having less time to prepare than Raith or Thistle who will play on Friday night.

Of course in other situations the 11th place team could have been confirmed weeks ago meaning players were rested etc.

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't think a single Thistle fan is confident of winning the tie. Obviously we could, and If so it wouldn't exactly be a result talked about ten years from now, or even ten months, but I think everyone knows Raith are clear favourites.

You don't know football fans very well then, even Thistle ones haha

Personally, I don’t massively buy into the Premiership clubs having an unfair advantage stuff but I suppose it ultimately comes down to them needing to win one tie to get through while the Championship clubs need to win either two or three ties to get through.

I think the other big advantage the Premiership clubs get is the winter break, which should theoretically help ensure their players are much fresher at the end of the season. I would also wager on both Thistle and Raith having played more games overall throughout the season than Saints - I think we’d be playing our 50th and 51st game of the season if we make it through. That’s obviously nothing to do with the playoff format though. 

Nobody really mentions that the team in second can end up with a decent advantage and we're currently in that situation.

Partick couldn't take their foot off after 180+ minutes against Airdrie. They then go right into a game against ourselves for another 180 minutes, while St Johnstone and Ross County go into game 38 with everything to play for.

We're the only team in that situation who will have had a wee break between should we make the final. But given the circumstances, we were also well clear of Thistle in second. Last season the final day in the Championship saw Queens Park going for the title only to end up out the top 2. 

So much is made of the psychological side of it, but the reality is that players far more switched on with sports science that recovery should be manageable whatever position you're in. 

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Personally, I don’t massively buy into the Premiership clubs having an unfair advantage stuff but I suppose it ultimately comes down to them needing to win one tie to get through while the Championship clubs need to win either two or three ties to get through.

I think the other big advantage the Premiership clubs get is the winter break, which should theoretically help ensure their players are much fresher at the end of the season. I would also wager on both Thistle and Raith having played more games overall throughout the season than Saints - I think we’d be playing our 50th and 51st game of the season if we make it through. That’s obviously nothing to do with the playoff format though. 

They (Premiership team) tend to win through because they tend to have better players and larger squads. 

Posted (edited)

If you say every tie is a 50/50 shot, then the team finishing 11th has a 50% chance of staying up vs a 25% chance of promotion for the team in second. If that's not a massive advantage I'm not sure what is. In practice it's obviously worked out even greater than that thus far. 

Edited by Virtual Insanity

2 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

If you say every tie is a 50/50 shot, then the team finishing 11th has a 50% chance of staying up vs a 25% chance of promotion for the team in second. 

Surely it's a 33% chance for 2nd, by your bizarre buckled logic, considering they're 1 of 3 sides? Unless you've decided to randomly claim that 3rd and 4th can stop 2nd getting promoted? 

24 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

They (Premiership team) tend to win through because they tend to have better players and larger squads. 

Absolutely, and no format or any other changes will make any difference to that. 

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Absolutely, and no format or any other changes will make any difference to that. 

Shame we were one of the exceptions against Livi. Typical Thistle.

I suppose confidence or lack thereof, could have been a factor in our case. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Surely it's a 33% chance for 2nd, by your bizarre buckled logic, considering they're 1 of 3 sides? Unless you've decided to randomly claim that 3rd and 4th can stop 2nd getting promoted? 

11th  - 50% 

2nd - 25% 

3rd - 12.5% 

4th - 12.5% 

Let me know if you want me to write out the sums for you. 

As I've said before, 11th should go down more often than not and the structure should reflect that. Thistle one of the few clubs honourable enough to fall on their sword after finishing 11th.

5 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Well said...

Thanks ,was going to say, before my latest finger fumble, that I'm fairly relaxed about tomorrow night given our now under dog status.Not expecting much ,however,if we get another pull at the puggie... so be it .

40 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

11th  - 50% 

2nd - 25% 

3rd - 12.5% 

4th - 12.5% 

Let me know if you want me to write out the sums for you. 

I dunno. It feels like you're wrong for the chances of 2nd tbh. It's not a 1 in 4 they get promoted just because they're playing two 50/50 games.

Maths is stupid.