🔴🔵 The Caley v Hamilton ⛔⛔

We were absolutely honking for the first hour or so. We were fortunate to only be 2 - 0 down at half time with Hamilton being denied what looked like a stonewall penalty for handball. Ridgers was perhaps unlucky for the first but was really poor for the second. Another goal conceded after we fail to defend a set piece. Standard. You have to say fair play to Ferguson for sticking with the setup that has seen us end up in the playoffs and somehow expect it to this absolute gang of a squad into a cohesive unit.

Still though, it was a nice finish from Pepple from a Harper cross, one of the few times the latter didn't hit the first man with his delivery, and we looked better for the final half hour but didn't have any real quality up front to grab an equaliser as Hamilton seemed content to sit back and defend their lead.

Pepple put in a great shift after coming on but I felt the game started to turn when Lawal was subbed on. Gilmour, Anderson and Longstaff must be our worst midfield in a long time. All they can do is pass the ball five yards to a team mate. None of them seem capable of carrying the ball forward. Lawal was an immediate upgrade on the, I assume, not fully fit Gilmour. He simply has to start on Saturday. If he doesn't Ferguson should be fired immediately.

We've given ourself a chance but if Accies score first that'll be the game over. Despite a healthy amount of possession we don't do much with the ball and certainly don't have the guile to create enough chances to score 2 or 3 goals.

Second half massive improvement and had a sense of optimism for Saturday….until I saw the manager’s post match interview when he stated we needed 1 goal in 90 mins and we’ve got to keep it tight. I realise we can’t go gung-ho, but we have to keep the intensity and attacking formation from the off on Saturday. The ‘pass it about until the opposition fall asleep’ tactic will result in two things - we won’t score, the crowd will get impatient making it more nervy. We looked good for so many parts of that second half I just pray he goes on the offensive from the off. Otherwise it’ll be a long afternoon. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Absolute rubbish from the BBC - this is objectively not how that goal happened.IMG_1385.thumb.jpeg.af8e4ca1571e3dafd40216fb41cf7a4f.jpeg

Initial effort must have been minimum 45 yards out, he was only 10 yards inside ICT half. And was also clearly an own goal. You wonder how people who are paid to write about football are able to produce something so wrong, especially when it's live on the TV and can be checked in 2 seconds.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Posted (edited)

If we *have* to play the 3-5-2 then we should line up as follows for the game at the weekend

-----------------Ridgers---------------

----Carragher------Devine------Boyes-------

Kerr-------------------------------Harper--

-------MacGregor--Anderson--Lawal-------

----------Mckay------Pepple-------------

Carragher was an improvement when he came on.  Devine seemed to get an injury late in teh game so maybe sub him out for Ujdur or Savage.

Anderson wasn't great, his distribution and use of the ball were poor but Gilmour is not fit and Longstaff was just lost.  Anderson at least pushed forward from midfield a bit, maybe encourage him to do that.  I feel a bit sorry for Longstaff, he's not a central midfielder but he's been picked there and doesn't have the positional awareness to play there.  Lawal was the only player who linked the midfield and the attack and looked capable of doing anything to make a difference.

Samuel worked hard and is an honest player but Pepple came on and every time the ball came to him he used it well.  He even fell over the ball and retained possession at one point.  His finish was good as well, adding the one he scored against Dunfermline and he knows where the net is.

Even with these changes I have zero confidence in this team to get a win, let alone by two goals.  I think the game will go as follows - we push forward early but Accies score on the break.  We then pass from side to side and do nothing until equalising in the last twenty minutes but can't break down Accies, the game finishes 1-1 and we go down.

Edited by ICTChris

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If we *have* to play the 3-5-2 then we should line up as follows for the game at the weekend

-----------------Ridgers---------------

----Carragher------Devine------Boyes-------

Kerr-------------------------------Harper--

-------MacGregor--Anderson--Lawal-------

----------Mckay------Pepple-------------

Carragher was an improvement when he came on.  Devine seemed to get an injury late in teh game so maybe sub him out for Ujdur or Savage.

Anderson wasn't great, his distribution and use of the ball were poor but Gilmour is not fit and Longstaff was just lost.  Anderson at least pushed forward from midfield a bit, maybe encourage him to do that.  I feel a bit sorry for Longstaff, he's not a central midfielder but he's been picked there and doesn't have the positional awareness to play there.  Lawal was the only player who linked the midfield and the attack and looked capable of doing anything to make a difference.

Samuel worked hard and is an honest player but Pepple came on and every time the ball came to him he used it well.  He even fell over the ball and retained possession at one point.  His finish was good as well, adding the one he scored against Dunfermline and he knows where the net is.

Even with these changes I have zero confidence in this team to get a win, let alone by two goals.  I think the game will go as follows - we push forward early but Accies score on the break.  We then pass from side to side and do nothing until equalising in the last twenty minutes but can't break down Accies, the game finishes 1-1 and we go down.

I think Ferguson said in the post match interview that Devine would be out on Saturday so swap Savage in for him and that’s exactly what I would go with as well.

It will absolutely not happen though.

Fergusons whole interview was baffling but the comment about only needing to win by 1 goal is mental stuff.

I'd go with Chris' team but have Ujdur in for Devine.  Longstaff (shite) and Gilmour (miles off it due to being out for ages) simply cannot start on Saturday.

Max Anderson should have no complaints either if he's dropped.  He's been terrible for 2 months.

Ferguson seems to have an aversion to playing Ujdur for some reason. Savage seems to be the poorer of the two. So he'll probably start.

14 minutes ago, RiG said:

Ferguson seems to have an aversion to playing Ujdur for some reason. Savage seems to be the poorer of the two. So he'll probably start.

He wasn't signed by him, would be my guess.

I didn't really know how to feel at full-time and now I think I understand why that was. As far as I can see (i.e. a quick look at Wikipedia + my memory), last night was the first time we'd ever won the first leg of a play-off tie:

• 2013/14: 1-1 v Falkirk (A)
  • 2013/14: 0-2 v Hibs (H)
  • 2016/17: 0-0 v Dundee United (A)
  • 2022/23: 0-1 v Alloa (A)
  • 2022/23: 0-1 v Airdrie (A)
  • 2023/24: 2-2 v Alloa (A)
  • 2023/24: 2-1 v Inverness (H)

It's news to me that the 13/14 play-offs were the first we'd ever competed in, so if Wikipedia's got that wrong then someone feel free to jump in and correct me. 

Ferguson has to re jig the team, I agree with Udjur to start, along with Lawal and Roddy McGregor, whatever Ferguson has going on with Udjur and McGregor he has to bite the bullet and put out a strong team, Pepple in in place of Samuel who with his bustling energetic type of play would do better as a 'super' sub.

Posted (edited)

I agree that Udjur, he’s probably our best defender, should start but Ferguson will never put him in the 11 so that’s why I left him out.

Samuel just can’t start on Saturday. He works his arse off but most of the time does f**k all with the ball. Pepple brought so much more to the team when he came on, not just the goal, so has to be starting instead of him.

Edited by PB1994

I didn't manage to watch all the game because I was working.

Amazed that Hamilton seemed to lose their way in the second half.

I was at the Montrose game earlier in the season at NDP and couldn't believe how inept Hamilton were after they'd scored. It was no wonder their own fans were going absolutely ape about the lack of intent or attack.

It was only a matter of time before the Mo got their equaliser.

I know the answer will be given as "John Rankin" but it is difficult to understand how a team can put on such a "Jeckyl and Hyde" performance in the course of a match.

I thought Inverness were unimpressive in the two legs against us. I also felt in the second leg that the refereeing was abysmal, which didn't help us either.

I haven't really seen Inverness CT on a good day but from my knowledge of Hamilton when they aren't just dicking around, they shouldn't be any worse than ICT.

For me Lawal was their only stand out player against us. The rest weren't much of a step up from League One standard based on what I saw of them.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Could be shite but I’ve heard that Ferguson absolutely hates Ujdur 

Posted (edited)

Feels like a missed opportunity last night. A 2 or 3 nil win and the pressure is all on Caley for the return leg. Yet again Rankins poor game management has meant the game is now in the balance.

Thought the subs were too late again and totally frustrating (again) No idea what Rankin thinks Winters brings but he looked less than interested and did very little to no one's surprise. 

Great effort from the team in the first half, full of the fight, hunger and desire we have been asking for. Crowd seemed to be a lot more positive than most of this season as a result. Then the Rankin effect kicks in and we conceed early in the second half before trying to hang on to a slender lead. What does he say to the players at half time????

Obvious the players had given their all and were beginning to tire. The initial subs he made did nothing to address this. (Although Rose was positive, if not fully match sharp)

Edited by Beckford

As soon as he brought on Redfern and Winter, he handed the initiative to Caley.

The Accies support were dreading half-time as we knew what was coming second half…a Rankin Groundhog Day.

How must Jake Hastie feel, playing well , scoring goals dropped for no reason and the likes of Winter(who last scored I think in the League Cup group stages) on before him every time.

That is a sacking offence in itself along with playing McGowan week after week.

If we go up, it will be in spite of the Dugout as he is a guy who is not learning from his mistakes.

If Inverness go all out for a couple of early goals, it will be hard to see a way back.

Our only option is to go for the first goal I feel as his Subs weaken the team every week.

As for Caley, surprised to hear about Longstaff as any time we played Cove Rangers, he was their best player against us and caused us a lot of problems.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

As for Caley, surprised to hear about Longstaff as any time we played Cove Rangers, he was their best player against us and caused us a lot of problems.

Sometimes some players just cant handle the pressure being at a big club

Edited by bdu98196

Cove are shite, so it's easy to see why Longstaff might have looked good for them.