Spartans v Dumbarton (Play off final double header)

I can't remember when I last felt like this for a game. I'm a bag of nervous excitement. I keep catching myself daydreaming about celebrating promotion, and then have to instantly crush it by working out how I'll feel if we lose, and how I'll come to terms with that.

I've checked the clock about 78 times since starting work this morning, and it never seems to move either. I'm glad we're not in tense promotion deciding battles more often. I can't cope.

Fair fucks to those of you travelling the length of the country. I sincerely hope you don't feel let down at FT. 

I sadly can't make the game tonight but I'll be watching on the TV. Praying to Martin Mooney that all goes well. Mon the Sons.

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I can't remember when I last felt like this for a game. I'm a bag of nervous excitement. I keep catching myself daydreaming about celebrating promotion, and then have to instantly crush it by working out how I'll feel if we lose, and how I'll come to terms with that.

I've checked the clock about 78 times since starting work this morning, and it never seems to move either. I'm glad we're not in tense promotion deciding battles more often. I can't cope.

I find the best way to deal with these emotions is a large whisky, I accept this will be of no help to you in you current situation !

Will be watching tonight as an interested neutral, good luck !

Just now, Beachcomber said:

I find the best way to deal with these emotions is a large whisky, I accept this will be of no help to you in you current situation !

Will be watching tonight as an interested neutral, good luck !

:lol: I don't drink. But this is making me reconsider that. I could be totally plastered in about 10 minutes and not have a care in the world. And that's an appealing option right now.

24 minutes ago, son in the south said:

Think I'm one train ahead. 10.45 from King's Cross. Sitting  beside an 8 person stag do on the way to Newcastle 🙄

Ouch. Lucky I picked the later one.

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair fucks to those of you travelling the length of the country. I sincerely hope you don't feel let down at FT. 

I sadly can't make the game tonight but I'll be watching on the TV. Praying to Martin Mooney that all goes well. Mon the Sons.

I prefer to pray to either Charlie Gibson or Bryan Prunty but I respect all footballing gods.

I'm absolutely gutted I can't make it tonight (had a gig booked in for months and can't let folk down!). Shame as if it had been tomorrow I'd have made it no problem.

Can only echo what others have said, I hope those travelling the distance aren't let down and it is worth it all!

Equally nervous and excited here... promotion could be huge to the club and our future!

Mon the sons! 🟨⬜⬛

On 14/05/2024 at 23:11, Jan Vojáček said:

Ruth is my favourite Sons player in years. I've developed Bryan Prunty-esque feelings for him and I want him to fire us to promotion so I have an excuse to hug him. He's just everything you want in a striker. The hold up play of Christian Nadè with the workrate of Chris Kane. If he doesn't have his pick of part-time clubs (and some FT offers) I'll be shocked.

Not sure it means anything, and he didn't play him much once he had him, but Wullie Gibson was the one who signed him for us in the first place and is now obviously manager at Annan............

On 14/05/2024 at 23:56, FifeSons said:

I’m really not convinced Crighton’s was offside…

I don't think it's offside. There appear to be defenders leaning further back towards their own line on the initial free kick and he's behind the nearest Spartans defender on the flick on (if there even is a flick on). Could also conceivably be for the player that tried to flick it on if he was offside at the original free kick (doesn't need to have actually touched it for this to be the case) but I don't think he is.

On 15/05/2024 at 00:35, Elrow said:

For the stamp, can retrospective action be taken? 

It can, and given it was televised I'll be quite surprised if it isn't. However, it wouldn't help you for tonight. If the Compliance Officer has decided to take action she'll have notified Spartans at some point on Wednesday. He then gets two days to mount his defence and hearings are always heard on Thursdays I think. Hence why charges from midweek games tend not to take effect for the immediate weekend game. He may be up in front of the SFA next week but even if found guilty it'll see him start next season banned, not miss out tonight. The 3 day gap isn't enough to take action in between.

On 15/05/2024 at 10:44, May Rckinnon said:

Lloyd Wilson is the only referee I'm happy to have appointed to a forfar game. 

Seems to be one of the very few who doesn't buy the shite players are selling.

Lloyd is turning into a really good referee. Young Lloyd was a bit pompous / officious but as he's got older and moved up the ranks he's got far better at it. He's still an absolute stickler for the rules but I don't see that as a bad thing. He's decisive and consistent. That's pretty much all you can ask. He's sent off two of our players this season. Both deserved it.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure it means anything, and he didn't play him much once he had him, but Wullie Gibson was the one who signed him for us in the first place and is now obviously manager at Annan............

Lloyd is turning into a really good referee. Young Lloyd was a bit pompous / officious but as he's got older and moved up the ranks he's got far better at it. He's still an absolute stickler for the rules but I don't see that as a bad thing. He's decisive and consistent. That's pretty much all you can ask. He's sent off two of our players this season. Both deserved it.

I think Ruth will (again with no disrespect intended given there's a good chance they'll be a league above us) go on to something bigger than Annan next season. Although him, Goss and Aidan Smith (if they can keep them) would be a tremendous front three. A bit of everything in there.

On Wilson, his consistency is absolutely first class. Not just in game, but on a game by game basis. You could disguise him for a match and I reckon I'd be able to identify him just by his officiating style and decision making. He's very firm, but he now looks like he's refereeing with a nice mixture of confidence and authority. It's not a surprise that we don't get him all that often, he'll be spending his career covering games at a far higher level I reckon.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think Ruth will (again with no disrespect intended given there's a good chance they'll be a league above us) go on to something bigger than Annan next season. Although him, Goss and Aidan Smith (if they can keep them) would be a tremendous front three. A bit of everything in there.

Not suggesting otherwise, just highlighting that a manager with a past relationship to him who has signed him before and may potentially be working in a higher division next season, might speak to him again. I'm not certain how well they knew each other before he joined us though and, given how well it's gone for him at Dumbarton this year, and that Annan won't have money to offer a significant wage rise if at all, I don't think he'd go there either. Dumbarton's also far handier for him obviously.

Rarely got a look in for us last season under two different managers, subbed before half time on his last outing, it's slightly surprising how well he's done at Dumbarton but maybe just one of those players who needed a little faith put in him and to be "the man" for someone.

EDIT - Having double checked his age, you'll be entitled to compensation if he goes presuming you offer him another deal in writing too. Probably not enough to put off a bigger full time side if they are interested, but probably enough to put off an Annan.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not suggesting otherwise, just highlighting that a manager with a past relationship to him who has signed him before and may potentially be working in a higher division next season, might speak to him again. I'm not certain how well they knew each other before he joined us though and, given how well it's gone for him at Dumbarton this year, and that Annan won't have money to offer a significant wage rise if at all, I don't think he'd go there either. Dumbarton's also far handier for him obviously.

Rarely got a look in for us last season under two different managers, subbed before half time on his last outing, it's slightly surprising how well he's done at Dumbarton but maybe just one of those players who needed a little faith put in him and to be "the man" for someone.

Trust me, as someone who watched Kevin Nisbet play for us I know that feeling a wee bit too well! 

I think you're spot on though. I met him the day he signed, and was really impressed by how he conducted himself. He was very, very focused. Very serious and very determined. You could tell he knew this was maybe his last chance to make an impression in the SPFL. And he felt he hadn't really had a fair shot at Queen's, Falkirk, Arbroath or Aberdeen. I think he'd started 25 league games in his career prior to joining us. And hasn't scored a league goal for two years.

We put absolutely all our eggs in his basket. As in we have no other strikers. And he seems to have thrived knowing that the pressure is all on him to perform. It's like this was the opportunity he was desperate for, and he's absolutely embraced it. 

I've said before that I think he's the best striker in the division, and I stand by that. Blair Henderson is a better goalscorer. Jordan Allan too. But in terms of all round play, nobody tops Ruth. And we've seen him growing in confidence and learning about men's football week by week basically. He's been pleased with how he's playing, he's still a very focused character, but he's definitely came out of his shell a lot and I've enjoyed getting to know him. 

Let's hope Uncle Faz and his troops have a bit more minerals about them than the blouses in here all nervous for a football match. Embarrassing.

Get a grip of yourself and crack open a can (or Appletiser for Jan).

18 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

The ScotRail on board WiFi is working! Surely one of the signs of the coming apocalypse

It usually works Pete, it's the trains, the tracks, the signals and the burn that floods at Bowling which are the problem.