WOSFL Summer Signings

On 23/05/2024 at 06:52, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Well given they’re upping a budget that saw everyones favourite bigot get £20k signing on fee and £1700 a week wage id say thats more of an indicator. 

I don’t think they’ll be paying that per week to a guy from Beith though.

There’s a fairly large drop off from what Lafferty and Dorrans are on to the next best paid, although still eye watering amounts for this level.

2 hours ago, Johnstonian said:

There’s a fairly large drop off from what Lafferty and Dorrans are on to the next best paid, although still eye watering amounts for this level.

I think I am right in assuming you are talking of the lad Diver?

Is that Danny Diver's boy?  I recall him turning out for Pollok in the nineties...and he was (reportedly) on a good wedge then.  Danny was a smashing player, I have not seen Ciaran play as yet but I do have some friends (well one or two) who follow the Frew and they are full of praise for him.  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Johnstonian said:

Which shows how daft your signing policy is because if i could get 3 Divers for has beens like those two its far better value. Hes the best player at our level and dare i say should be playing championship maybe even premier league football. But regardless the damage is done whichever way you look at it, Burgh, Gartcairn and Darvel have all inflated the wage expectation of players at this level and harmed the game. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

Beith beat Largs 1-0 at the end of the season. He never really got a sniff and scored the only goal.

Beith then went down to 10 men and he ran his arse off for the team for the rest of the game.  That impressed me  the most.

56 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Which shows how daft your signing policy is because if i could get 3 Divers for has beens like those two its far better value. Hes the best player at our level and dare i say should be playing championship maybe even premier league football. But regardless the damage is done whichever way you look at it, Burgh, Gartcairn and Darvel have all inflated the wage expectation of players at this level and harmed the game. 

You must’ve missed my criticism of the signing policy and the ensuing rammy with Burgh’s social media enforcer types, last summer!

I don’t think I ever said a good word about it!! 😂

18 hours ago, TediousTom said:

Another very good player that would grace any team at this level.  With players like Simeon, McKenzie, Brady, Wallace and Fyfe leaving...I wonder what level of player we are looking to bring in.  Exciting times in Johnstone (that is not a sentence you will hear often).  

I am hoping to hear that the trialist keeper Luke Scullion has been signed before long.  If that boy had been at the Burgh at the start of the season it would have been a very different outcome.      

It depends if they go down the senior route or stick to the cream of the Juniors. I'd be cautious signing too many players from seniors as it is a totally different game and players dropped down and either can't adjust or take a couple of seasons to find their feet! 
I am speaking from experience have been in that position myself many years ago and found it a shock to the system, and having seen many a 'big player' drop down and struggle in teams I had played in. 
With the amount leaving Burgh , Murdie clearly has a plan in place, definitely interesting viewing! 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Totally agree ! We always had one or two teams paying inflated wages previously, but with so many now offering it's making it more difficult for clubs who are sticking to more modest budgets to sign any decent seasoned juniors 

31 minutes ago, Foul throw said:

Beith beat Largs 1-0 at the end of the season. He never really got a sniff and scored the only goal.

Beith then went down to 10 men and he ran his arse off for the team for the rest of the game.  That impressed me  the most.

Honestly, i dont like Beith at all, but if i could sign one player from tier 4 and below for my team in Scottish football its Diver. 

19 hours ago, TediousTom said:

Another very good player that would grace any team at this level.  With players like Simeon, McKenzie, Brady, Wallace and Fyfe leaving...I wonder what level of player we are looking to bring in.  Exciting times in Johnstone (that is not a sentence you will hear often).  

I am hoping to hear that the trialist keeper Luke Scullion has been signed before long.  If that boy had been at the Burgh at the start of the season it would have been a very different outcome.      

Think you’ll find Scullion has signed for Burgh

1 hour ago, Fabi said:

It depends if they go down the senior route or stick to the cream of the Juniors. I'd be cautious signing too many players from seniors

beith arent juniors, burgh arent juniors

5 hours ago, Foul throw said:

He was excellent the whole game but only got the one chance not a bad ratio,43 goals 31 in the league .

8 hours ago, TediousTom said:

I think I am right in assuming you are talking of the lad Diver?

Is that Danny Diver's boy?  I recall him turning out for Pollok in the nineties...and he was (reportedly) on a good wedge then.  Danny was a smashing player, I have not seen Ciaran play as yet but I do have some friends (well one or two) who follow the Frew and they are full of praise for him.  

Yes it’s Danny’s son .Danny was a terrific player and goal scorer for us(was in the Scottish winning side) and at many clubs which made it all the more disappointing that with the very strong family connections Lok lost sight of his sons progress .

Very good big player and goal getter and will step up a few levels again -think he was at Celtic at one point.

9 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

Yes it’s Danny’s son .Danny was a terrific player and goal scorer for us(was in the Scottish winning side) and at many clubs which made it all the more disappointing that with the very strong family connections Lok lost sight of his sons progress .

Very good big player and goal getter and will step up a few levels again -think he was at Celtic at one point.

Spoke to Danny at our player of the year night last Saturday and he still looks like he could score goals , he still plays tennis to a very high standard and I always remind him of his goals at fir Park in 1997 v tayport when pollok last won the Scottish cup .

5 hours ago, Fabi said:

Totally agree ! We always had one or two teams paying inflated wages previously, but with so many now offering it's making it more difficult for clubs who are sticking to more modest budgets to sign any decent seasoned juniors 

Totally agree and I've fell out of love with the very top level of football (EPL ,champions league football due to crazy money and greed) and I'm afraid the level we are at is going the same way although to a far lesser extent in comparative terms of course. 

One example is how much money have East Kilbride chucked at it over the last good few years to get up the ladder and into the bottom rung of the SPFL . I reckon they have hammered 7 figures easily at it and still no progress and it can't be sustainable and your Johnstone burgh, gartcairn , drumchapels will be the same if they continue the way they're going and darvel seem to be realising they couldn't sustain it either. 

7 hours ago, Big Davy Boy said:

beith arent juniors, burgh arent juniors

Haha Sorry bud, will always been junior teams in my eyes! Best times in my playing career and happy to still differentiate using the same language. Even though I know they are WOSFL clubs now 

3 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

That is a sore one for the Lok, maybe the lure of playing for his dads old club will have him sign for them some day !