WOSFL Summer Signings

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why is it not the players' fault? Is someone putting a gun to their heads making them sign the contract based solely on money rather than sporting ambition, or indeed any other factor like 'being content in your environment'?

I don't buy that nonsense defence for sheer mercenary behaviour by full-time, so-called professionals. Quite why it should apply to semi-professional ranks is beyond me too. 

Well said 

Most players are not fans of the teams they play for and so don't "care" about the club. I am not saying they dont try, they absolutely do and give 100% each game but there is no emotional attachment so will leave for a better offer. 

Is accepting job offers with better terms and conditions mercenary behavior? Diver had a contract that he honored in the right way as far as I can tell; he didn't agitate to jump ship mid-season or put in half-arsed performances to force a move.

99% of players in the history of most clubs - including the badge kissers - would be offski if the right offer came their way, as would 99% of normal folk offered a better job.  There's no point in acting like a jilted teenager every time a player moves on. Well run, successful clubs expect it to happen and deal with it. 

Edited by Shanner

1 hour ago, Pabloadamos67 said:

100k 😂😂😂😂

No Fee! He's a free agent! 

Deal will still be sizable if he's on a 2 year deal at the reported 600 or so a week plus signing on fees plus goal bonuses ect won't be a kick n arse off 100k over the 2 years

16 minutes ago, stumpy said:

Deal will still be sizable if he's on a 2 year deal at the reported 600 or so a week plus signing on fees plus goal bonuses ect won't be a kick n arse off 100k over the 2 years

Be crazy to knock that back have no problem players making good money if they can get it 

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

Is accepting job offers with better terms and conditions mercenary behavior? Diver had a contract that he honored in the right way as far as I can tell; he didn't agitate to jump ship mid-season or put in half-arsed performances to force a move.

99% of players in the history of most clubs - including the badge kissers - would be offski if the right offer came their way, as would 99% of normal folk offered a better job.  There's no point in acting like a jilted teenager every time a player moves on. Well run, successful clubs expect it to happen and deal with it. 

Except that a better job isn't just determined by finances. If you're joining an organisation where the boss and/or employers are likely to be c***s because of the bottom line alone, then good luck lasting long in that position. It would be a stupidly short-sighted decision. Ditto relocation and other factors - normal people are not actually jumping from one job to the other for marginal pay increases on an annual basis. 

There are footballers whose outlook is that they're being paid for a talent and have very little to zero wider interest in the sport. That attitude - if consistently shown - is entirely legitimate. They should maximise earnings and fair play to them. It is not legitimate however to do the badge-kissing act adopted by the majority of their peers, and then act the mercenary when it suits themselves.

It's also entirely healthy for fans to expect most players to have some regard for achievements on the park too: winning titles; lifting cups. If you're not expecting either loyalty or sporting ambition to ever win out over a pay cheque, then what's the whole point of the exercise? You're as well just choosing a doped-up, Gulf state superclub to watch on TV instead of being taken for a mug at any level of the Scottish game. 

Edited by vikingTON

28 minutes ago, virginton said:

Except that a better job isn't just determined by finances. If you're joining an organisation where the boss and/or employers are likely to be c***s because of the bottom line alone, then good luck lasting long in that position. It would be a stupidly short-sighted decision. Ditto relocation and other factors - normal people are not actually jumping from one job to the other for marginal pay increases on an annual basis. 

There are footballers whose outlook is that they're being paid for a talent and have very little to zero wider interest in the sport. That attitude - if consistently shown - is entirely legitimate. They should maximise earnings and fair play to them. It is not legitimate however to do the badge-kissing act adopted by the majority of their peers, and then act the mercenary when it suits themselves.

It's also entirely healthy for fans to expect most players to have some regard for achievements on the park too: winning titles; lifting cups. If you're not expecting either loyalty or sporting ambition to ever win out over a pay cheque, then what's the whole point of the exercise? You're as well just choosing a doped-up, Gulf state superclub to watch on TV instead of being taken for a mug at any level of the Scottish game. 

What I was describing is the status quo. Players have always moved on for money. How much they deem to be enough is between them, their personal circumstances and their conscience. In the instance that has us talking about it, a player has moved to a club in the same division for what must be a life changing amount. You'd need to be a bit saft in the heid to think that isn't something most fans on the terrace would do as well.while It's very depressing from a traditional football point of view it is also completely predictable, what makes it hard to stomach is where he's going, because, sye, it's difficult to argue that anything but money is driving it. The current boom in salaries is a symptom but the rash of tinpot clubs with a bit of new money at this level is the disease.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Why is it not the players' fault? Is someone putting a gun to their heads making them sign the contract based solely on money rather than sporting ambition, or indeed any other factor like 'being content in your environment'?

I don't buy that nonsense defence for sheer mercenary behaviour by full-time, so-called professionals. Quite why it should apply to semi-professional ranks is beyond me too. 

I’m not sure many people, in any walk of life or profession, would  knock back some of the figures being thrown about at the moment. The bottom line is they couldn’t give a toss about “sporting ambition”, if they are getting money that could pay for their mortgage, car etc, they wouldn’t give a jot. I don’t agree with that attitude, but that is the way it is just now, and as long as clubs pander to them it’s going to stay that way.

18 hours ago, virginton said:

If we are talking hundreds of pounds in difference then I full understand players moving just for the money , but there is so many players nowadays that will haggle over £10, 20-30 a week , which I have witnessed first hand and then go to a club with lesser facilities, lesser fans and less prestige just for a few extra pounds. 
For me when I played I wanted to go somewhere with  a decent set up and  chance of winning things but most of all the chance to play in front of a big home support with great atmosphere. I genuinely turned down more money on a couple of occasions elsewhere to play at the likes of Pollok, Kilwinning and Arthurlie who all had great support at that time. 
It's a different mentality these days , but so many clubs offering crazy money doesn't help, that's pushes the expectations up even more. 
I think as fans we just need to except that things have change due to the money, and it's very unlikely to go back to the way it was..

We are unlikely to see a Kevin O'Neil , Ben Lewis or similar very often now. Top players who were loyal and happy to stay at their clubs for years to come given the temptations elsewhere now.

Edited by Fabi

On 14/06/2024 at 14:11, coistysgoldenboots said:

I get that kind of silly money would turn heads but it’s so sad to see players chose it over ambition and the possibility to play at as high a level as possible, something Diver is clearly capable of doing. 

Little wonder Scottish Football, at best, stagnates. 

Unfair on the boy, at the figures quoted (£600 odd a week) to play Junior football he’d be mental to turn it down.

I don’t think that’ll be unique to Scottish football either. 

1 hour ago, Basile Boli said:

Unfair on the boy, at the figures quoted (£600 odd a week) to play Junior football he’d be mental to turn it down.

Has he moved to the Midland or North Juniors already…..

2 hours ago, Basile Boli said:

It’s not really….if he chooses money over ambition that’s entirely on him. 

The fact it’s not unique doesn’t make it any better. 

7 hours ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

Leaving beith no really lack on ambition both clubs can acheive same thing no like hes going down a level

Edited by Bankie boy

16 hours ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

I hate to disagree with you here but unless Beith have suddenly met the criteria for promotion he has not taken a step back!

13 minutes ago, Eadie is God said:

Who’ve gone nowhere.

Maybe St Cadocs have assured him they’ll be licensed.

What part of the License application process being closed by the SFA for close on 2 years now do you not get or does that not suit your narrative!

1 minute ago, Lynchmob11 said:

What part of the License application process being closed by the SFA for close on 2 years now do you not get or does that not suit your narrative!

I hope Beith have applied just saying that St Cadocs might have guaranteed it?