Rage ritual

Posted (edited)

'Rage rituals' have been getting attention on social media, with the following post suggesting that they are becoming increasingly popular with women.

These things have been around for many years - primal scream therapy in the 1960s being a very well known example.  The truth is that there is little evidence that any of these things works in the sense of reliably improving anyone's life.  There is a persistent cultural meme that it's healthy to let it all out but there is evidence that doing this actually increases feelings of anger and aggression. 

Have any P&Bers ever taken part in a rage ritual?

Which P&Bers would most beneift from attending a rage ritual?

Edited by ICTChris

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

'Rage rituals' have been getting attention on social media, with the following post suggesting that they are becoming increasingly popular with women.

These things have been around for many years - primal scream therapy in the 1960s being a very well known example.  The truth is that there is little evidence that any of these things works in the sense of reliably improving anyone's life.  There is a persistent cultural meme that it's healthy to let it all out but there is evidence that doing this actually increases feelings of anger and aggression. 

Have any P&Bers ever taken part in a rage ritual?

There's a large scale session every 2nd Saturday somewhere in the Govan area, I'm sure?. Been going on for decades and none of the participants seem to be getting any better, and as the evidence suggests, they seem to actually get perpetually worse. Lot of shite imo and definitely would not attend.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think this all sounds like bollocks but I do think I would enjoy one of those Wreck It places where they give you a safety visor and a sledgehammer and let you smash up old fridges. 

I quite like doing stuff like that as well.  Last year I dismantled our garden shed, a lot of which involved smashing it up with a sledgehammer but it wasn't done in an angry way, it was more like a kind of big puzzle.

4 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

There was a lot of new energy in the room, and some of it was just so Rainbow Rhythms, and some of it was just so not Rainbow Rhythms.

One of my favourite episodes! "I should get extra marks for not feeling a fucking thing"

15 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The West of Scotland male way of dealing with this shit is obviously best. 

Suppress all emotion until you die of a massive heart attack at 59. 

Thank f**k ive only 7 years to go until sweet release.

When I was a teenager, I remember BBC2 showing a late-night documentary about one of these groups for the wealthy and credulous on some tropical island. After a lot of yakking about inner goddesses they'd strip off and scream at each other in a big circle before collapsing into a massive dogpile with what looked suspiciously like post-orgasmic bliss written all over everyone's faces. While it does sound like something pursuant to my interests, it's got to be a no from me, Clive.

However, BBC2 followed it up with This is Spinal Tap, and if a nudie new-age group could follow up their orgy with a first viewing of a similarly excellent film, I'd be prepared to serve drinks, at least.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

My wife does this. Couple of Cavas and she's off, non-stop tirade about everything i've ever done wrong in real life or in her imagination. She seems to enjoy it. 

Lucky you, the good ‘ol Southern way seems to be several glasses of cheap red and then battering the spouse, who then take it out on the kids…‘Murica! (In the posher suburbs, you can substitute several Yeti’s of a modest white)

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Utter nonsense. 

Just play 5-a-side and snap some c**t. 

Snap some c**t then realise it's your own hip that's needing replaced.

4 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The West of Scotland male way of dealing with this shit is obviously best. 

Suppress all emotion until you die of a massive heart attack at 59. 

Don't be so pessimistic, I'm 61.