Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager

Who ill be Hibs' next permanent manager?  

278 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

Criticism of the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen is entirely valid given recent experiences.

It's not the 50s/60s any more, but the complexion is changing quickly. We appear to be moving into a new era where the finances of those three clubs are starting to far outstrip the rest.

With the right structure and managerial appointment(s), you can achieve sustained "success" with clubs at that level. You can see it at Hearts – three consecutive top four finishes (twice finishing third), regular semi-final/final appearances in the cups and narrowing the gap on Celtic and Rangers by virtue of winning more regularly against the rest, as well as a couple of wins against Celtic.

You're relying on those three clubs not to make awful decisions (managerial appointments, player recruitment, structure), and it might be that Hibs are one to avoid for a manager like McInnes right now, but the potential is certainly there for consistent top six finishes at Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen. Certainly more than at a club like Kilmarnock IF they get it right.

Correct on all counts. 

In the last 35 years I've seen Hibs win 3 trophies, Hearts 3 and Aberdeen 3.  Nobody in their right mind thinks any of these three will get near Celtic or Rangers. Financially it's impossible with the current structures. 

And much as it's strange for me to agree with Vincent G on here he is right. McInnes if approached will be offered at least double or treble his salary and a much larger budget to play with.  Whether he takes it is another matter. He might want to sit in his comfort zone but I doubt it. He has signed good players at Killie and they have done superbly well this season. His record at Aberdeen is good too so he has the track record of managing a similar sized club and it won't phase him at all. Given the Hibs structure is changing too (DoF will be replaced by a Technical Director) he will get much more of a say in transfers than Monty or Lee Johnson ever got.

If McInnes 'has ambitions', he'll not choose Hibs. If the board look at bang for buck, they'll go for Martindale.

I feel it'll be a foreign based manager.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

If McInnes 'has ambitions', he'll not choose Hibs. If the board look at bang for buck, they'll go for Martindale.

I feel it'll be a foreign based manager.

Stuart Baxter? 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Stuart Baxter? 

Ludo's dropped the ball by not including him!

Went to check how old he is, he's younger than Warnock, so there's that. He's got a gig at Helsingborgs (going by Wiki). Will Hibs break the bank to bring in the meme candidate?

Malky Mackay is just the man to appeal to the type of fan who enjoys being banned for life from supporting Hibs for abusing an opponent for showing skill.  

If Steve Clarke was to leave after the Euros (I can't see it, but it's a possibility) then it'll be between McInnes and the unrealistic shout of Moyes for the Scotland job. That could be the biggest incentive of McInnes sticking it out at Killie for the next wee while as although Hibs have a higher top end than Kilmarnock, he could oh, so easily ruin his reputation very quickly at Hibs.

Not read this thread so might be repeating someone else, but Hibs number one target will undoubtedly be Derek McInnes. I would imagine that he would back himself to make a success of it and he would  (reportedly) have funds to invest in the team. I hope he doesn’t take it.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

If Steve Clarke was to leave after the Euros (I can't see it, but it's a possibility) then it'll be between McInnes and the unrealistic shout of Moyes for the Scotland job. That could be the biggest incentive of McInnes sticking it out at Killie for the next wee while as although Hibs have a higher top end than Kilmarnock, he could oh, so easily ruin his reputation very quickly at Hibs.

Moyes for Scotland is far from unreasonable.  He’s said in the past it’s where he sees his career heading.  

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Moyes for Scotland is far from unreasonable.  He’s said in the past it’s where he sees his career heading.  

Still think he's too big a name for the time being. He'll squeeze some cash out of a couple of more EPL teams before he's ready for the Scotland job IMO.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

You’re living in a fantasy world based on the past.

I’m not defensive nor in the slightest bit bothered. I’m just pointing out the facts to you that, despite bigger fan base and more cash, evidence suggests neither hearts or Hibs have enjoyed sustained success over the past 30-40 years.

Since the mid-1990’s, Motherwell and Kilmarnock have had more seasons in the top flight than both Edinburgh clubs.

In the last 16 years, both Hibs and Kilmarnock have managed one third place in the top league. I didn’t bother going back further.

In the past 40 years, Hibs have won one SC and one LC. Kilmarnock exactly the same.

There is nothing to suggest Hibs will enjoy more sustained success than Kilmarnock given the same manager.

killie are on an upward trajectory, whereas Hibs need a massive rebuild that might take a few years.

I think you're proving the original poster's point a little here IMO. Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen haven't had more sustained success than Kilmarnock/Motherwell (and your own club), but they weren't saying they had, just that if you were a manager you'd probably back yourself having quite a bit more chance of success there (although guess does depend on how you define success).

I do think fans of "smaller" clubs who have won cups have a bit of a chip on their shoulder if they think anyone is excluding them from being a successful club. Which to be fair I understand... if Falkirk had had St Johnstone's cup success the last 15 years think I'd be the same! 

Edited by The Holiday Song

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Still think he's too big a name for the time being. He'll squeeze some cash out of a couple of more EPL teams before he's ready for the Scotland job IMO.

I could see him being quite disillusioned with the EPL now. He's given West Ham amazing success yet still got hounded out by their fans because they expect some Barca-esque tiki taka every week.

Hes 61 and likely set for life financially. A 4 year spell as Scotland manager, with 2 potential tournaments in there, would probably be ideal and he'd then retire at 65 and enjoy his latter years.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Killie sell Armstrong and Mayo in the summer, recruit badly and finish in the bottom six next season. What then for McInnes' profile? There's risk in staying while his stock's high as well.

5 minutes ago, Darren said:

Killie sell Armstrong and Mayo in the summer, recruit badly and finish in the bottom six next season. What then for McInnes' profile? There's risk in staying while his stock's high as well.

Armstrong and Mayo are hardly pulling Kilmarnock up by their shoestrings.  

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

@VincentGuerin has spent the last few months absolutely hammering Hibs future plans and how they’ll be a joke feeder club for Bournemouth and now he’s telling us all that Hibs are a better prospect than Kilmarnock.

Surely it can’t be both? 

Another laddie that hasn't read the posts and just jumped in.

What's in the water today?

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

If Hibs hire McInnes, we can have the ultimate manager thread fusion while everyone discusses how Hibs should never have punted Jack Ross and Aberdeen should never have punted McInnes.

500 pages.

And every post on the 500 pages from Hearts fans.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Armstrong and Mayo are hardly pulling Kilmarnock up by their shoestrings.  

I'm not sure Kilmarnock finish comfortably in the top six if either/both are sold or even get injured. Things can turn pretty quickly. The way people are talking, McInnes is on to a guaranteed good thing at Killie next season.