St Mirren European Tour 2024

Lex

1 hour ago, Insaintee said:

I lived in Norway for five years and was in no way surprised at how good Brann were. Brann are big team with a big support and plenty of money.  Bigger than Aberdeen or Hearts, not as big as Celtic or Rangers. 

l

What exactly are you basing ‘Brann‘ being a bigger club than Aberdeen or Hearts on? Certainly not on crowds anyway. Or European success. Or domestic success.

2 hours ago, Binos said:

How can refs not see these things are fake, did they ever even play the game with their mates down the park

The assistant ref closest to the incident didn't even raise his flag for a foul.

Quite baffling why the ref awarded it.

Maybe it was the 'keepers death throes that influenced him.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

What exactly are you basing ‘Brann‘ being a bigger club than Aberdeen or Hearts on? Certainly not on crowds anyway. Or European success. Or domestic success.

😂

Like Candyman.

5 hours ago, FTOF said:

No quite as unsporting as this.

Nothing worse than players faking an injury.

Your keeper should be embarrassed looking at that.

My 81 year old dad could have made that challenge and stayed on his feet.

That is a truly shocking decision by the ref. Even his assistant gave a throw in to SM.

42 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

That’s the last time I defend the good name of Heart of Midlothian. 

Everyone knows Rosenborg are the big club in Norway anyway. 

Like saying United is the club in England which for sure is the past

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Correct, Man United are the biggest club in England. 

Yes, but certainly not at all best. A fallen greatness of the game living on past memories (sadly). The same with Rosenborg that are stuck in the memories of 4-3-3 and Eggen-football and only filling up half their stadium nowadays. 

Can any of the Norwegian posters on here please explain why Brann brought such a small travelling support?

Compare the 750+ Buddies travelling to Bergen with the 150ish Bergen supporters who were at the game in Paisley. 

Were flights cripplingly expensive or is following your team round Europe not a thing in Norway?

5 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Can any of the Norwegian posters on here please explain why Brann brought such a small travelling support?

Compare the 750+ Buddies travelling to Bergen with the 150ish Bergen supporters who were at the game in Paisley. 

Were flights cripplingly expensive or is following your team round Europe not a thing in Norway?

I'd imagine it's not a novelty for them in the same way it is for us, seeing as they're in Europe semi-regularly. Also St Mirren aren't exactly a mouth watering tie that fans of foreign clubs need to tick off their bucket list (unfortunate as that is).

1 hour ago, Mordecai said:

I'd imagine it's not a novelty for them in the same way it is for us, seeing as they're in Europe semi-regularly. Also St Mirren aren't exactly a mouth watering tie that fans of foreign clubs need to tick off their bucket list (unfortunate as that is).

It’s a shame so many of them missed the chance to visit our colourful historic old town. I believe it has been nominated for UNESCO status. 

1 hour ago, Mordecai said:

Exactly. Valur fans said the same thing in Iceland,  they are in Europe most seasons and as such can pick and choose their away trips. We are hardly a big name. 

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Exactly. Valur fans said the same thing in Iceland,  they are in Europe most seasons and as such can pick and choose their away trips. We are hardly a big name. 

This is a bit weird. How often do Valur get so deep into the competition that they draw big names? Most Scandos like a game in the UK. I was a bit surprised by the Brann support but I suppose it's all a bit short notice for these games.

54 minutes ago, bendan said:

This is a bit weird. How often do Valur get so deep into the competition that they draw big names? Most Scandos like a game in the UK. I was a bit surprised by the Brann support but I suppose it's all a bit short notice for these games.

In the last 10 years alone they have drawn Rosenborg, Bodo Glimt, Maribor and Dinamo Zagreb

On 10/08/2024 at 15:03, Doonhame Buddie said:

Yes, would love to as this is quite interesting to me!

To summarize quickly before I expand:

• Short notice.
  • ...which makes it expensive, especially right after an international away day against Go Ahead Eagles.
  • Away day in Drammen which is 6–7 hrs away, the Sunday just days before.
  • Away day culture is kinda strong, but not as strong as in the UK. In part due to extremely long distances, which makes it time consuming and expensive.

To elaborate a bit (it's interesting, I almost promise it):

Take a look at this map (link to Google Maps view of Scottish Premiership clubs) and then take a look at this map (link to Google Maps view of Norwegian Eliteserien clubs). Then set the zoom level to the same on both maps and compare. You probably already know, but as you see distances in Norway are long. Very much longer than in Scotland. And between cities there are basically no connecting motorways with high speed limits (except 1–2 hrs radially around Oslo), and except of Oslo no cities really have radial train service. This means we take buses for hours which is the cheapest, or we fly which is usually extremely expensive if the game is somewhere else than the Oslo area. Then add it all up over the seasen.

Look again and you'll see many clubs in Norway sit kinda alone on the map, including Brann in Bergen. You're either crossing the mountains going east, or the fjords going north/south.

Today you played Aberdeen, approx. 6 hrs roundtrip by car from Paisley (according to Google Maps). I have understood this is your second longest away day, the longest being playing against Ross County in Dingwall (correct me if I'm wrong). This is the same as our closest away day vs Haugesund, which also includes one ferry crossing. Our second closest is the «derby» (lol!) in Stavanger vs Viking which is 5 hrs one way in car/bus. This includes two ferry crossings. And from here on it just gets worse. Molde is 8,5 hrs and 3 ferries, Kristiansund is 9,5 hrs. That is, if we catch the ferries perfectly, and you never do that. And from here on out we just have to take the plane.

All the clubs in the Oslo and central eastern region is about 6–8 hrs away with car or train. Now here it is a bit cheaper to fly to, our one and only cross-regional train line goes there, and combined with a lot of ex-Bergeners living in this area as well, away days here are usually well visited with between 500–2000 people depending on where. This is pretty good by Norwegian standards.

Tromsø is just as far from Bergen as Prague and Paris (!!), and Bodø just as far away as Manchester and Amsterdam, so there is no other reasonable way to get there than to fly. As makes sense, these are the least visited away days for Brann. I myself have never even been to northern Norway at age 30, and this goes for many in southern Norway. (A shame though, I have to go one day)

Isolated, it wouldn't be a big ask to get a big following anywhere if the occasion is big (we brought 15–20 000 to Oslo and the cup final last year), but when you take into account all of the above you'll understand that away days in Norway are first and foremost for the ones especially inclined to make Brann their whole life, economically and time-wise. It's not like you can just hop on the train for an hour or two for 5–20 quid each direction.

It just drains your wallet when you do it all year, and you really have to commit your personal schedule. 

When you then also have sold out the away section in the Netherlands, then have just 7 days notice, in addition to an away day in Drammen the sunday before the St. Mirren game (we brought about 1000), I find the visiting numbers in Paisley to be quite respectable.

So having 5 away days in a mere month, 2 of them international and the other 3 in Bodø, Drammen and Sarpsborg, what more can you really ask for?

Edited by brannfakkel
Grammar and details

Here's a short guide to Bergen for any Saints fans heading over this week, including details of the base camp pub that's been organised by Josh, and a WhatsApp group for keeping bang up to date with stuff that's going on when we're in Norway.

https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/opinions/2303-norway-were-on-our-way

On 09/08/2024 at 11:40, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Brann attendances are similar to Aberdeen and Hearts, as is their list of domestic achievements.