Clyde FC Season 24/25

23 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

You, my friend are a very harsh judge. Especially after what we've been through in recent years. 

Yeah always say give to the first quarter of the season to judge so probably went too soon

I wouldn't be criticising any player really given the level of opposition we were up against today. I'd say that so far the players retained from last season have impressed, with the benefit of the improved quality around them. Docherty and Darren Lyon both seem like neat and tidy midfielders but Cuddihy and Grant have started off well, so it's tough to see quite where they fit in to be honest. Ross Lyon did have a hard time of it today, but it's important to remember that he is now a squad player and, when he does see action, it'll be against significantly poorer teams.

What pleased me most today was the commitment to playing the ball on the ground and through the lines when we could, and you could see that Houston (and Robson) are crucial to that. We were a wee bit ragged in transition at times and gave up a touch more than I'd like at the back, but in both halves there were long spells where we were extremely comfortable within the game. Motherwell clearly aren't very good, but to compete with any Premiership side in such a manner is always encouraging. 

Tuesday's will be a similarly tough game and the truest test of where we are will probably come next Saturday against Montrose, but I trust that we will give further good accounts of ourselves. Hopefully McCall finds the right mix in the midfield and forward areas between the pair of them so we are in the best possible shape heading into the real stuff.

Based on the little I've seen so far, I think our strongest XI currently looks something like this:

Kinnear

Houston - Howie - Hamilton - Robson

Grant
Cuddihy ------ Scullion

Rennie ---------------- Redfern
Allan

25 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Kinnear

Houston - Howie - Hamilton - Robson

Grant
Cuddihy ------ Scullion

Rennie ---------------- Redfern
Allan

Agree with this on the basis of what we’ve seen so far, but suspect that Connelly will probably replace Rennie. I do hope adding Lyon and Docherty pushes Grant and Cuddihy up a level too. 

Was quite encouraged with today. We definitely rode our luck a bit at times but we're equally unlucky with Motherwell's third being a screamer. I was watching the stream today and felt the penalty was the same. The one Motherwell got looked iffy, if there was contact it was minimal. However, the shout from Miller at 0-0 would have been awarded with VAR. Thought Motherwell had the beating of our full backs for large spells too but we won't be against opposition of that level much this season.

Really liked some of the football we played. Nice to see us able to play our way up the park against Premiership opposition. Logan was causing all sorts of problems when he came on too.

Happy and disappointed about the game today. We competed well in large parts of the game against a good opposition (especially from their goal until HT). 2nd half they had a good few too many chances although at the end of the day LS coulda tied the game up. The lineup I THINK is our best is:

Kinnaer

Houston McKay Hamilton Robson  We are still left with impact/reliable subs - Dunachie, Grant, Connell, Howie

Cuddihy D.Lyon

Redfern       Scullion      Connelly

JA9

Edited by BullyWeeClydeFc

14 minutes ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

Happy and disappointed about the game today. We competed well in large parts of the game against a good opposition (especially from their goal until HT). 2nd half they had a good few too many chances although at the end of the day LS coulda tied the game up. The lineup I THINK is our best is:

Kinnaer

Houston McKay Hamilton Robson  We are still left with impact/reliable subs - Dunachie, Grant, Connell, Howie

Cuddihy D.Lyon

Redfern       Scullion      Connelly

JA9

Ray Grant was excellent today, there is no way our best 11 doesn’t contain him. 

I’m not disputing that Motherwell deserved their win, but I feel we’re unlucky with that penalty decision. Whilst I’m unsure if it’s a foul on Dunachie, I think there’s a pretty clear foul on Kinnear as he comes out for the initial corner, and I think there’s a decent claim that he actually gets a touch on the ball before Miller, albeit it’s hard to really tell from that angle. Obviously, Motherwell missed a host of chances of their own but given how quickly Motherwell re-took the lead, it’d have been interesting to see what would have happened had we stayed level for a while longer.

Edited by Replays

11 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Only downside with Ray for me is he rarely wins a 50/50 challenge. Otherwise very good, though.

I’d definitely agree with that, him and Cudihay are decent, no more than that and although haven’t seen the other (new) central midfield players (if indeed any of them are central players) live yet, as I’ve said before and I know I’m being unrealistic given the budget already spent but we really need a creative centre midfield player. 

Grant's inability to win a 50/50 isn't the problem. It's the fact he doesn't even try. And the fact he, Cuddihy and to an extent Ross Lyon still to this day enjoy cult status, leading to more than enough people to justify a place in the team for them is actually lowering the bar of acceptable performance, from fans views anyway. This was less of a problem when there was no-one better (in the case of Lyon and the injury-plagued Cuddihy). The standard of player now in competition (!) with those two in particular is now to be judged against......what factors, exactly? Houston is the best RB since Ross Millen, and both Docherty and Darren Lyon have displayed far better credentials playing alongside BC against largely the same oponnents so far.

Scullion even in his advanced role has taken on more responsibility as a ball receptor and distributor than both BC and RG, and i'm sure as the season progresses that he'll revert to a central role at times given our plentiful attacking options. Grant, in comparison for me, is finished as a serious player with the standard currently available in his place. Nice, safe and sound are all very good in a struggling team that lacks options (Goodie and Rankin, the previous out-balls for him). Barely kicked a ball at competitive teams with Alloa or Stirling. 

Bin the three of them. 

I make no apology for it. How long have they had to get their act together? And no one else wants them, either for free, or the relative peanuts they'd cost to pay. 

The fact people think Ross Lyon, in particular, is "a fine backup" is deserving of being labelled a cult behaviour. Robson could get hit by a bus and we're back stuck with him. Much the same as Maitland, for that matter. But sticking to on-field, backup needn't always be as inferior a player as RL is. He had a good run as a stand-in during the 2019 playoffs and the two Falkirk wins. Kieran Duffie was chased for being nowhere near this shite. 

13 minutes ago, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

The fact people think Ross Lyon, in particular, is "a fine backup" is deserving of being labelled a cult behaviour. Robson could get hit by a bus and we're back stuck with him. Much the same as Maitland, for that matter. But sticking to on-field, backup needn't always be as inferior a player as RL is. He had a good run as a stand-in during the 2019 playoffs and the two Falkirk wins. Kieran Duffie was chased for being nowhere near this shite. 

In one window, these guys have went from starters, to being huge drop off back ups to guys that, on paper, are amongst the best options for these positions in the league. 

Do you want us to have 2 first choice options of that level for every position? Regardless of the money being spent that is completely unreasonable. Even bloody Celtic have a chasm between first and second choice right back. 

What happens if Booth gets injured at Spartans? Peggie at East Fife? Or even Armstrong at Peterhead? They all either have no back up or a huge drop off too. 

We've put together a great squad for this level and are yet to use the loan market. Can't fathom not being excited or finding reasons to be raging at guys already.  

36 minutes ago, HaleyReinhart said:

In one window, these guys have went from starters, to being huge drop off back ups to guys that, on paper, are amongst the best options for these positions in the league. 

Do you want us to have 2 first choice options of that level for every position? Regardless of the money being spent that is completely unreasonable. Even bloody Celtic have a chasm between first and second choice right back. 

What happens if Booth gets injured at Spartans? Peggie at East Fife? Or even Armstrong at Peterhead? They all either have no back up or a huge drop off too. 

We've put together a great squad for this level and are yet to use the loan market. Can't fathom not being excited or finding reasons to be raging at guys already.  

Your first sentence is completely untrue. Lyon and Grant featured in almost every match post-January, Cuddihy when fit, and in the PS Cup so far two have started both and the other nor only started but played in 3 positions yesterday. They're not back-up in any way, shape or form and despite the upgrades surrounding them, their individual displays remain negative and potentially obstructive to what the new signings look like they can bring to the side.

We could have done better than Lyon two years ago without a pot to piss in, let alone having a few exrtra quid to play with. Everyone's pissed and moaned about lack of full-backs, so yes- why not have adept ones in competition as we have elsewhere? Except Lyon isn't competition- he's an infinite downgrade who even the worst teams in Scotland have exposed, repeatedly. And they'll do it again this year.