Clyde FC Season 24/25

What a team. Big Logan has turned into prime Jan Koller with a hint of Ibrahimovic.

Got to say when I saw the starting XI I feared the worst but this just goes to show the strength in depth we have for a change!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

6 minutes ago, MonTheClyde_MonTheBullyWee said:

Also massive shout out to Brian Kinnear, kept us in that game with some massive saves! Class goalie!

He had a superb game, but in fairness our entire defence for the most part were outstanding tonight, as indeed was the full team.

It's been an absolute masterstroke putting Logan up front and it's paid off in spades so far.  Apart from the obvious aerial threat he possesses, he's got a superb touch for a big man, amply demonstrated by his first (I get Lee Asscroft didn't cover himself in glory but he still had work to do and did it superbly)

Couldn't make the game sadly and had to make do with the PS stream, which was hilarious for the crap commentator mistaking Martin Rennie for Jordan Allan (and vice versa, assume there was an issue with the teamsheet somehow) and also for the whining Thistle fans constantly harping on about the time taken for goal kicks, restarts etc ('how much time you giving him this time Beaton' a particular favourite after the ball had only just come back to Kinnear).

The whole atmosphere around the club so far has been refreshingly optimistic compared to this time 12 months ago, amazing what even just one change at the very top can do, that and managing to keep on an astute, experienced manager and some very healthy pre-season recruitment.

Was there as neutral with Clyde sympathies and in the Clyde end (which was barely big enough!)

Clyde rode their luck a bit fir a ten minute spell in the second half but mostly contained Thistle and were well worth the win.

thought Ray Grant out in a great shift and Logan Dunachie was a text book centre forward.

Really enjoyed that.

What was the commotion up the back about on about 80 mins?

3 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

The third goal was all about Rennie superb bit of play and cross.

Absolutely, when he came on he went a bit deeper and it was noticeable how he was able to stretch the play with some excellent passing - again something we've not seen often but maybe something we can look to deploy again, as he looked really good playing that little bit deeper.

For a few reasons I haven’t been to many games since pre Covid. That was absolutely sensational though. I haven’t had that feeling at a game for about 10 years.

Craig Brown put a certain centre half Steve Archibald up front in a friendly. Look how that turned out.

Logan looks a real natural up front. If he can do *that* to a good Championship defence, imagine what he’ll be able to do against your Forfar’s. Jordan Allan looked a wee bit uncomfortable in the warm up but hassled the Thistle defence very well when he came on. A front two of him and Dunachie could be absolutely frightening.

Big huge shoutout to Martin Rennie for his play in the build up to the winner, but also just in general since being moved to a deeper role. He’s looked very good in these League Cup games.

Brian Kinnear is another one worth a mention. What a difference it makes having a goalie you can trust.

The only player I thought looked a bit off it was Robbie Leitch. I think he looks behind the likes of Redfern and Connelly in terms of natural ability, and I think it showed when Connelly came on.

All in all though, what a night. Decided to go for a couple of solo pints and sat with a huge grin on my face the full time. 

Firstly, we have a top notch manager. Can you imagine Duffy playing four forwards to chase a game like that? He is exactly the right man to be in charge. The masterstroke with Dunachie tops it off.

Kinnear has been great since signing. Makes such a difference having a goalkeeper that can actually gain you points.

That's the first time I've been properly impressed by McKay. A great performance beside Howie. Hard to pick out any others because they all worked their socks off but Cudidhy and Grant kept the ball brilliantly.

Maybe we should have played Hynes at right back more often?

It's also mental how in (I think) three of our last five visits to Firhill, one of which was the Covid season so nobody was there, we've seen almost the exact same own goal from Partick Thistle, at the exact same end. Maxwell o.g. in 2009, Bannigan o.g. in 2019, and Ashcroft tonight.

Edited by Replays

I did call out Dunachie after seeing him play 30 minutes of the game v Civil Service Strollers up front.  Said to the bench at the time they should consider giving him a try up front.  They weren’t sure but glad they took my advice.  They said he was enthusiastic and would run around but clear to see he had more to his game than that.

For a big guy he has a great touch

He is obviously going to be a handful because of his size

As McCall said in an interview he is better at flicking the ball on than coming onto direct as a defender

Plus he can finish well with either foot or head.  His first goal tonight was brilliantly created by him and finished

We rode our luck at times tonight when 2-2 but Kinnear pulled off a few great saves.  But we were always a threat and good to see McCall going for it ending up with 4 forwards on.

Special mention to Rennie for the 3rd goal for firstly holding of the defender to get the ball then turning him inside out before delivering a peach of cross

What was up with Houston tonight?  

Prefer Hamilton as one of the two central defenders and thought Hynes brought more balance to the team when he came on at right back (he did join as a right back but don’t think has ever played there)

Would be good to see more of Docherty and D Lyon to see what they are like

Genuine chance to get out of the group with 3 points on Saturday.  Let’s not do a usual Clyde and make a mess of it