Clyde FC Season 24/25

29 minutes ago, Davy the Dug said:

Maybe that performance would have been deemed acceptable 12 months ago, but that was well off par of what I expect given the money we have spent.  Allan was bullied constantly, if Ray Grant is our main central midfielder this season I think we will be in trouble in the middle every single game.

You know how much we have spent?

It seemed to me like McCall wanted to start with Allan, Dunachie and Connelly (for varying reasons) and ended up with a set up that didn't really work. Better to decide a system for the game and then fit players into that, when you have a fairly deep squad. He's going to need to decide between the 3 centre halves, and the various strikers I reckon, and find something with a bit of balance.

I would agree Grant and Howie are probably the only two starters to come out of that game with any credit. Couldn't complain about Redfern or Rennie either, and I thought Leitch was brought on too late. Allan and Robson were dreadful, particularly the former ruining a 4 on 2 attack. Obvious we miss Cuddihy, at least until Lyon, Docherty etc are up to speed.

Referee had an awful second half. It was like he made one wee error then got completely rattled. It looked like the Montrose player slid through Redfern to get the ball at our penalty shout. Then missing the tug on Hynes prior to Scally's red. Then somehow letting Dillon away with a studs up (2 feet off the ground) sliding challenge. The latter two really need help from the linesman.

not an unexpected performance today coming after 2 hard fought games against two full time teams

They just all seemed a bit leggy first half plus you have to remember that Montrose are no mugs and are established top half L1 side so was always going to be a hard game

Montrose probably deserved to win by one or two more and we just never looked like scoring 

Anyway onto the real stuff next weekend and hopefully McCall can get formation and line up right for the game 

Also agree the referee got worse the longer the game went on and made what I thought were a number of mistakes

Still think we need something different in midfield and hopefully get on 1 or 2 creative midfielders in on loan

2 hours ago, SLClyde said:

That’s genuinely one of the worst officiating performances I’ve ever seen, including the near side linesman as well. 

Too slow and not enough willing to come looking for the ball at times. Redfern made a difference when he was on in the second half. Personally would’ve left Allan on and taken Dunachie off, the long ball wasn’t working anyway. 

It would be hard to witness as bad a display by the officials for the rest of the season  If anything they got worse as the game went on. How it's not a penalty for the foul on Redfern beggars belief.  Not one fifty fifty decision went our way . As soon as a Montrose player went down a foul was given That's not to say we weren't poor especially first half.  But when the blatant penalty wasn't given there was still plenty time left.  League the priority of course but that was a reasonable chance to progress. 

If i didn't know any better i'd think the Soyjak fingerpointing in my direction for (deservedly) slating players was personal- the general reaction here to today, minus one or two who're wired correctly, is ridiculous. If you're taking today/the competition seriously then you should be singling out Grant, a serial non-winner in games of importance (which today was), and Cuddihy, who's barely fit for games, important or not. There's no doubt for me that this soft underbelly is an easy target for the kickers and hackers of lower L2 let alone the proper footballers i expect East Fife (similar lessons learnt from their 2023 failure) and Spartans to field against us and this needs addressed. Neither RG or BCs tenures can be described a success in any way- delusional at best.

The game- It was by no means a stellar performance, but we're going to get those and by far most likely to be against alpha-established units like Montrose have been for a good six or so years now. McCall is very complimentary toward Petrie, and for good reason. An important few lessons in the game today, one being a reluctance to stamp authority from the whistle. A caveman in midfield instead of participation trophy recipients might aid this. I'd have liked to steal Bannigan and Lawless (even injured atm) from the mob at the Basin to tick those boxes, with the help this bursting piggy bank of ours.

McCall saying it's a groin issue for Cuddihy, which is a bit of a concern as he missed a wee run of games in the second half of last season with a similar complaint I'm sure. So frustrating that he keeps on picking up these niggling injuries, as McCall obviously loves him and his partnership with Grant.

6 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

McCall saying it's a groin issue for Cuddihy, which is a bit of a concern as he missed a wee run of games in the second half of last season with a similar complaint I'm sure. So frustrating that he keeps on picking up these niggling injuries, as McCall obviously loves him and his partnership with Grant.

Loves them so much he was scolding the pair of them during the injury break for Muirhead shortly after Fitzpatrick walked past both? If they do that again i'm sure he'll have a think about them. Every manager has a blind spot- Fergie with Fletcher, Wenger with Bendtner etc. McCall will learn and one day bend to my whim. Charity bet remains open. 

It is frustrating if Cuddihy has another injury issue that isn't a very short term thing. It's every season he misses a good chunk through injury. I've said this in previous seasons but he doesn't merit his place in the squad or the wage he gets with how frequently he's injured and unavailable as a result.

Saying that, I hope I'm wrong and he's back asap and over the worst of his injury problems.

Dillon and Masson were lucky to still be on the park yesterday both shocking challenges the one Redfern got aswell in the breakaway wasn't even spoken to. That is a pen any day of the week outside the box most refs give that as a foul, Montrose were lucky that every decision went in their favour yesterday.

2 hours ago, David W said:

Highlights posted on YouTube. Not a good look for a referee when you get the one important decision in a game so badly wrong. 

Not only the blatant penalty he got little right .Foul on Connell just outside box he waved post on they broke Howie ended up getting booked for fouling a player in the ensuing breakaway. Tug on Hynes in front of dug out missed. Montrose players falling to the ground with alarming regularity conveniently ignored. Masson only booked for assaulting big Logan. No wonder Scally had words.  If supervisor there and doing their job surely noted .Go a long way to see a more inept performance.

Definite penalty watching it back, clearly goes through Redfern first to get the ball. You can clearly see the Hynes shirt pull as well before he pulls him up for the foul.

On 25/07/2024 at 19:39, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

No. What Motherwell and Thistle do, is almost completely irrelevant to us. Our fate will be known at the collective full-time on Saturday- our race is being run firstly against Montrose, then against the other teams on 6 points or more who aren't in first place. In order to win this race, we're going to need to record one of the biggest wins of the matchday to secure a spot. 

I don't believe there's even the slightest chance that if we record a narrow win, the draw-and-Thistle penalties bonus will happen anyway. Motherwell will flatten them. 

Give us a shout when you do your next prediction 🤣