Clyde FC Season 24/25

Really awful result. It makes a mockery of our else season odds. We are going to be lucky to be 9th at this rate. 

Do it cheap and low key - get terrible results

spend lots of money and have optimism. - get terrible results

Picked a good weekend not to be able to make the game...

For me previously, McCall had a bit of credit in the bank due to last season, turning around the carnage left behind by the unholy trio of Thomson, Duffy and McLean (thanks again!) and keeping us in the league.  However, that has pretty much evaporated, as naturally has the early season enthusiasm.

I've been struggling to understand some of the selections, and also the style of football.  And as we exit the first of what is likely to be a difficult run of games with a thumping and with a break ahead of us, clearly the question for those at the top has to be if/when they pull the trigger.

What with this and the 'quick, hide it under a mountain of text and hope no-one notices' return of a former director, it's starting to look like the last few seasons all over again.

On the latter subject, the only thing I really want to say on it is it makes me question the ongoing viability of the membership scheme altogether.  I've long advocated that the entire approach needed a rethink and review, and this highlights it, especially a move that is bound to be divisive.

34 minutes ago, PTR said:

The spend was just completely unnecessary as well. What was the rush to go for broke and chuck a fortune at these guys?

As much as it is a lot harder to take than last season, I also have more optimism that this can be turned round and a relatively successful season achieved come May. As underperforming as they may be, it is still a decent squad. I don't imagine it should be too difficult for fresh eyes to forge them into a competent team, more than capable of competing in this league.

You surely weren’t at the game today mate comfortably the worst team I have clapped eyes on this season and that includes Highland league Brechin bullied all over the park super light weight champions. Defensively absolutely brutal and never had one shot on goals in 45 minutes with a 25 mile an hour wind up their arse. Goalkeeper looked very poor also. 

3 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

You surely weren’t at the game today mate comfortably the worst team I have clapped eyes on this season and that includes Highland league Brechin bullied all over the park super light weight champions. Defensively absolutely brutal and never had one shot on goals in 45 minutes with a 25 mile an hour wind up their arse. Goalkeeper looked very poor also. 

That's the point. They look absolutely brutal because there's no plan, cohesion, and too much chopping and changing. Overall, the squad isn't a bad one. This is a far superior squad to the one this time last year. Need someone in with a plan and a sensible approach - i.e. not McCall.

I'm no expert on McCall's previous experiences but has he always looked as unconcerned with his team's poor performances. Add his lack of animation or vocal encouragement pitch side, it seems unusual to me.

He looks as interested as I did when watching a feature length documentary on pocket knife modification.

*I wasn't interested at all

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Our BoD are probably good Clyde minded individuals, but we do lack hard hitting business people.  JA, as I understand it, does have business expertise but I think there are 2 questions about him.

1 Why has he always been around and about; lurking in the background with a little too much influence, and permitted to flip in and out the Board without any explanation?

2 As he is a bit of a walloper and and was the protagonist who started the fallout with NLC &  Broadwood, why would we have him within 100 miles of our future?

That is quite simply not true. The relationship with NLC started to deteriorate or got  even worse during Billy Carmichael's reign when the rent went unpaid for months. John Alexander was nowhere near the board then. 

45 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I'm no expert on McCall's previous experiences but has he always looked as unconcerned with his team's poor performances. Add his lack of animation or vocal encouragement pitch side, it seems unusual to me.

He looks as interested as I did when watching a feature length documentary on pocket knife modification.

Did he not manage to get carded?

Not bad going for someone disinterested 

48 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Thanks for explaining the gag

2 hours ago, fifer67 said:

Can't argue with any of that.  Some of our more deluded fans however probably think the league is still on. I said recently Peterhead would soon be out of sight but was belittled for saying so. 

Both McCall and Maitland are a bit guilty of talking up these players and our chances of challenging for promotion and  - as things stand - they're failing to manage those expectations they created. We, as a support, are maybe guilty of buying in to the hype, it's not like we haven't heard it all before (anyone who remembers the meeting with Alex Smith when he took over will 'Europe in 5 years'). We have a squad that is twice, three times as good? Given the standard last year, we need to be ten times better than we were last season and we're not.

Could we afford to sack McCall and employ someone new? Who could/would replace him at this stage? Maitland? I think we've got McCall till he decides to chuck it so I'm still hoping things start to click for us as we don't have the means to hit the panic button no matter how tempting. 

2 hours ago, Shawfield78 said:

Can't argue with any of that.  Some of our more deluded fans however probably think the league is still on. I said recently Peterhead would soon be out of sight but was belittled for saying so. 

I saw one guy actually applaud the team off the park as he left the stadium. I guess if that's your mentality you get what you deserve. 

Verging on calling for McCall to eff off but I'd give him another game or two (tops!) to show he actually has some sort of clue as to how to manage a football team. If there isn't a significant improvement (at least in terms of performance) in the next couple of games then he absolutely has to go. So sick of this bloody team I don't know where to begin...

*Edited to say*

At this point I'd rather see Ebbo in the dugout than messrs. McCall, Scally and Kerr. Would the big man have done worse than a 5-1 pumping today? Doubt it...

Edited by RutherGlen

4 hours ago, ekokuk63 said:

Unacceptable performance and result, keep this up and we'll be seeing the return of the walloper that is....Jimmy Choo!!!

He’s still here - he just uses his Right turn Clyde and Shawfield78 accounts now mostly, and complains about being belittled and bullied

22 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Honestly couldn’t be more gutted after that today. I’ve tried to keep fairly positive this season but that’s been firmly biffed out of me now. 

Even Danny Lennon got us 7 points in our first 3 games in the 22/33 season. 

Are the parody accounts in the room with you, now? How do you know when they post, if you've blocked them? The kids might call that "projection". 

Jimmy, 78, Right turn and various others you mention do indeed share one major factor in common- they're all absolutely right about the long-drawn out state of affairs, right down to the brass tacks of where they originated from and who carries them, to this day. Imagine falling for this same trick, for so long, and still letting yourself be 'gutted' at a football game your team was absolutely shite in despite all the warning signs. Immature, infantilized p***ks with your head in the sand- AGAIN.

2 hours ago, RutherGlen said:

I saw one guy actually applaud the team off the park as he left the stadium. I guess if that's your mentality you get what you deserve. 

Verging on calling for McCall to eff off but I'd give him another game or two (tops!) to show he actually has some sort of clue as to how to manage a football team. If there isn't a significant improvement (at least in terms of performance) in the next couple of games then he absolutely has to go. So sick of this bloody team I don't know where to begin...

*Edited to say*

At this point I'd rather see Ebbo in the dugout than messrs. McCall, Scally and Kerr. Would the big man have done worse than a 5-1 pumping today? Doubt it...

One name is absent from this list, namely the chairman. Arguably alongside Campbell and McCall themselves probably one of the most experienced managers, administrators and figureheads in lower league football this millenium- spent the last six months banging on about change this, new direction that, and pulls that stunt with the wisecracking, grinning, smarter of the old bean-counters guild the other day in the bulletin.

Something hasn't felt right- no, in fact felt completely off since Firhill. And i'm not talking about the fortunate win on the pitch. Marry up the dates and times and whether it be AM's eye taken off the ball in either appointing this charlatan again at all, or bricking it from telling the rest of us about it, whatever it is, it's weedled it's way somewhere into matchday performance. McCall doesnt sound like he gives a shit, the players don't act like they do either- this is Maitland's priority after all his begging and bowl-rattling getting fans to back everything because yet again, the poor buggers have done so yet again. So why's he escaping scrutiny when Thomson was grilled like a cannibal's hostage 12 months ago despite an IQ and footballing know-how of less than 1% of Maitland's- there's zero excuse this season. None.