Clyde FC Season 24/25

Last 3 decent left backs

Ewan Otto

Mark McLaughlin (first time round)

Tom Cowans

Tommy McQueen

Shows quality of left backs when you need to go back nearly 40 years for top 3

Though sure others will thrown in a few others who I have forgot about or are worthy of a mention 

9 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Last 3 decent left backs

Ewan Otto

Tom Cowans

Tommy McQueen

Though sure others will thrown in a few others who I have forgot about or are worthy of a mention

Eddie Malone and Steve tennant to.  that list

I thought Otoo did a good job, perhaps to the extent where he saved our season, but he was being targeted by the end of the season and Love(!)/McNiff were being preferred in certain games. He had no idea how to deal with a ball over his head. He's certainly gone on to do well at Dunfermline but not at left back.

The one we really missed out on was Bob Harris. He didn't really suit wingback/left centre half but as a full back he went onto have a great career at QotS and Sheffield United.

This really does look like potentially being a problem position again. There is not a huge number of targets in any given year and the couple of better ones (Shiels, Waters) have gone elsewhere.

1 hour ago, David W said:

This really does look like potentially being a problem position again. There is not a huge number of targets in any given year and the couple of better ones (Shiels, Waters) have gone elsewhere.

From Nareys toepoker summer transfer blog these are the left backs in Scotland recently released and still without a club.

Kieran Ngenywa
Flynn Duffy
Miller Fenton
Tommy Robson
Euan Deveney
Cammy Williamson

A couple of them would be decent signings but probably unrealistic targets. Williamson released by Stranraer so forget him. Wouldn't rule out waiting on the loan market and using Lyon there until then.

Edited by CM.

10 minutes ago, CM. said:

Wouldn't rule out waiting on the loan market and using Lyon there until then.

It wouldn't surprise me if the plan is just to use Lyon and a loanee there going forward if we can't someone like a Robson or a Hendrie. There's no point on blowing money on someone that isn't a marked improvement and Lyon certainly showed that under McCall he can cut it in L2, at least as a backup to a (relatively) high profile loanee.

3 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the plan is just to use Lyon and a loanee there going forward if we can't someone like a Robson or a Hendrie. There's no point on blowing money on someone that isn't a marked improvement and Lyon certainly showed that under McCall he can cut it in L2, at least as a backup to a (relatively) high profile loanee.

If we can't get someone like Hendrie I would be asking for McGinn again on loan from Hamilton

4 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

We absolutely cannot go on with people like Lyon at left back. It’s never worked until now and never will. 

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

We absolutely cannot go on with people like Lyon at left back. It’s never worked until now and never will. 

I don’t want it to happen, but I think that maybe Ross Lyon done enough at left back last season in the run in to show McCall he can play there in League 2.

It’s either not a problem position in McCall’s mind or he’s missed out on some early targets and I’m willing to bet it’s the former. We have a lot of the squad signed up now and I can see some of the bodies that come in from here on out being loan players, which is why it’s taking a little bit longer whilst clubs are figuring out what to do with their youngsters. 

Dumbarton fans on their thread were saying we’d offered Matty Shiels a fair old wedge to join us so I reckon McCall probably has missed out on a target or two. I’m sure he has a few in mind and I’d like to hear some movement on that position within the next week or so.

19 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Last 3 decent left backs

Ewan Otto

Tom Cowans

Tommy McQueen

Going back further......which makes it worse....Eddie Mulheron, Alan Swan

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I don’t want it to happen, but I think that maybe Ross Lyon done enough at left back last season in the run in to show McCall he can play there in League 2.

It’s either not a problem position in McCall’s mind or he’s missed out on some early targets and I’m willing to bet it’s the former. We have a lot of the squad signed up now and I can see some of the bodies that come in from here on out being loan players, which is why it’s taking a little bit longer whilst clubs are figuring out what to do with their youngsters. 

Did he?

20 minutes ago, Bearded Bully said:

See that Jordan Allan is being back pre season with Falkirk. I imagine that they will have a good look at him and see if he's improved enough to make the cut. If not then possibly another loan? 

Tell you what, they don’t come much stauncher than the Burnbank Buffalo. The squad number of (18)72 is something! Still, bring him home.

Edited by Replays

14 hours ago, Bearded Bully said:

See that Jordan Allan is being back pre season with Falkirk. I imagine that they will have a good look at him and see if he's improved enough to make the cut. If not then possibly another loan? 

I can’t see him getting much game time at Falkirk.  He will probably be 4th choice striker

14 hours ago, Replays said:

Tell you what, they don’t come much stauncher than the Burnbank Buffalo. The squad number of (18)72 is something! Still, bring him home.

On how many levels am I missing something(s) here? And who, what and where?

On 17/06/2024 at 12:23, CM. said:

From Nareys toepoker summer transfer blog these are the left backs in Scotland recently released and still without a club.

Kieran Ngenywa
Flynn Duffy
Miller Fenton
Tommy Robson
Euan Deveney
Cammy Williamson

A couple of them would be decent signings but probably unrealistic targets. Williamson released by Stranraer so forget him. Wouldn't rule out waiting on the loan market and using Lyon there until then.

A lot of Stranraer fans were surprised Cammy released a 100% decent player great left foot.