Clyde FC Season 24/25

12 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

He'll probably want to stay full time though which may hamper a return to you lot and he's still got a year left on his contract. 

Yeah he's certainly got at least a year left in him FT in L1, or even as a benchwarmer at the very bottom of the Championship until he inevitably returns to us on loan in January.

Realistically I think his level is the higher end of part time. I think he'd be great for Alloa for instance. However, we'd pay him a wedge.

Really happy with the signing of Darren Lyon, and with him being another centre midfielder it's probably safe to assume that (with some flexibility) Paul McKay and Darren Hynes will be considered defenders and Liam Scullion will play more as an attacking midfielder.

With that in mind, is it also safe to assume that Logan Dunachie may be considered a full back? Houston/Hynes RB, Lyon/Dunachie LB, Hamilton/Howie/McKay CB. If a left back comes in Dunachie gets shunted inside one.

Obviously this is all speculation, but honestly its been so long since we've had a structured squad with players playing in natural positions that I'm really enjoying trying to figure it out! 

I think as has previously been stated the chances are we'll probably be going into the loan market for the third forward and a left back. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Signed for 24/25

Goalkeepers

Brian Kinnear, Jay Kennedy

Defenders

Lee Hamilton, Jordan Houston, Craig Howie, Ross Lyon, Logan Dunachie, Darren Hynes, Paul McKay

Peter Grant (free to leave), Josh McCulloch (free to leave)

Midfielders

Robbie Leitch, Barry Cuddihy, Ray Grant, Dominic Docherty, Liam Scullion, Marley Redfern, Darren Lyon

Forwards

Kyle Connell, Martin Rennie

13 minutes ago, CM. said:

I wonder if McCalls been in touch with Danny Lennon about his Ray Grant left back experiment a few years ago.

Except it wasn't an experiment.  The regular left back was out injured for some time, Grant was his only left sided player, put him in there as a stop gap and did the best he could, got pelters from people who should know better, then when able to return to his central midfield position all of a sudden became a wonderkid.

Good old P&B, not got the first fucking idea about anything

Grant and Rankin were still being flirted with at LB long after Stewart returned from his early-season injury that year. Following that, Lennon clearly didn't fancy the latter for some reason despite the former pair being very awkward solutions there. Cogill's injury up at Peterhead was the peculiar stroke of luck that kick-started the superb end to that season, with Lang finally given a shot in the middle and McNiff then shunted out to full-back.

I doubt there will be, but I hope there isn't a repeat on the cards. We do now have a few options who have covered LB before to varying degrees of success (Lyon x2, Howie) so that buys us a bit of time in looking for a natural one that's up to snuff.

46 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Grant and Rankin were still being flirted with at LB long after Stewart returned from his early-season injury that year. Following that, Lennon clearly didn't fancy the latter for some reason despite the former pair being very awkward solutions there. Cogill's injury up at Peterhead was the peculiar stroke of luck that kick-started the superb end to that season, with Lang finally given a shot in the middle and McNiff then shunted out to full-back.

I doubt there will be, but I hope there isn't a repeat on the cards. We do now have a few options who have covered LB before to varying degrees of success (Lyon x2, Howie) so that buys us a bit of time in looking for a natural one that's up to snuff.

Danny Lennon's record on fullbacks is similar to that of Hitler invading the Soviet Union but with more collateral damage.

McNiff, Lang we're as poor at fullback as Paulus was at Field Marshal.

Lennon's dislike of an actual fullback, Stewart, playing there was a strange one.

I am pretty sure Stewart had a long term back issue which meant he struggled to train, or indeed play. Unfortunate, as he could play the position well.

As such, without an obvious replacement, it's maybe no surprise we ended up with Grant there given his intelligence. Obviously, in hindsight, that looked silly later in the year when Nicoll got suspended and Grant/McStay completely dominated the rest of the season from midfield.

All of that doesn't excuse Lennon from not signing a competent left back when we reached L1.

Lyon will be another standout at league 2 level. Striker and Left back next hopefully.

Would also like an update on the ground. Weird to think we are now going into year 3 at NDP and Crownpoint was formally decided before the new year,  and tbf, the writing was on the wall with councillors in the pocket of Finnart before we heard anything officially.

On 21/06/2024 at 13:05, Brian Carrigan said:

Really happy with the signing of Darren Lyon, and with him being another centre midfielder it's probably safe to assume that (with some flexibility) Paul McKay and Darren Hynes will be considered defenders and Liam Scullion will play more as an attacking midfielder.

With that in mind, is it also safe to assume that Logan Dunachie may be considered a full back? Houston/Hynes RB, Lyon/Dunachie LB, Hamilton/Howie/McKay CB. If a left back comes in Dunachie gets shunted inside one.

Obviously this is all speculation, but honestly its been so long since we've had a structured squad with players playing in natural positions that I'm really enjoying trying to figure it out! 

I think as has previously been stated the chances are we'll probably be going into the loan market for the third forward and a left back. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Signed for 24/25

Goalkeepers

Brian Kinnear, Jay Kennedy

Defenders

Lee Hamilton, Jordan Houston, Craig Howie, Ross Lyon, Logan Dunachie, Darren Hynes, Paul McKay

Peter Grant (free to leave), Josh McCulloch (free to leave)

Midfielders

Robbie Leitch, Barry Cuddihy, Ray Grant, Dominic Docherty, Liam Scullion, Marley Redfern, Darren Lyon

Forwards

Kyle Connell, Martin Rennie

wouldn't be unhappy with Martin McNiff

5 hours ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

Looking forward for today’s game down at Palmerston. Will be great to see the new faces in person

If you spot any trialists, do the honourable thing and start wild rumours on here please.