Clyde FC Season 24/25

An enjoyable second half. Big shout out to Logan Dunachie for a very funny but effective performance up too. Laboured a bit first half but were on easy street second half. Still a bit of work to do at the back but a wortwhile exercise. Josh McCulloch started at right-mid for Strollers and Alieu Faye, ex-Bonnyrigg and Edinburgh City started (and scored) for them too.

3 minutes ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Big Dunach up front #LD9

Fair shout as he won everything in the air.  And finished his goal excellently on his weaker foot.

LD and our new signing to be announced in the next few days I think will be a handful in the season ahead

Plus good back up with Rennie, Connell and Connelly

1 hour ago, Tartan Pants said:

Will today’s goals be on ClydeTV?

Main camera footage will be out and alternative story of the match footage will be produced too.  

No Jordan Allan in Falkirk squad today. Fucking bring him home and league is ours

Old School Number 9 like Mcglashan, Annand who will run and pester all day long and will always chip in with a goal when it matters..

Stranraer 93rd min at NDP still fresh in memory

Lets get this over the line

Enjoyed that today. First half was a bit scrappy and they scored a tap in from a rebound after our keeper made a save seconds beforehand.

second half we dominated them and 5-1 didn’t flatter us tbh. They got their second goal with the last kick of the game. They weren’t a bad side to be fair to them considering the amount of trialists it appears they played. Better than I expected.

Thank god we didn’t get relegated and that was our regular standard of opponent and venue to visit, though!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

1 minute ago, Cannibal said:

Obviously we were behind at half time but was it Houston and Redfern playing on the right?  They looked good

Aye it was. They linked up well and Houston looked solid at the back and his distribution was good. Redfern looks a handful. Like a Scott Banks type player.

Despite signing a host of really decent players, I think Scullion will be our standout this season. The way he's playing just now he's probably the first name on the team sheet bar Lee Hamilton.

A reasonably enjoyable game today, even in the first half we played some decent football at times with some lovely touches from Redfern/Connelly. I sense Rennie/Cuddihy will have played their way into the starting line-up for Wednesday based on the second half, I think they give the team a better balance. I thought Leitch showed up well also in a deeper position. Dunachie's finish was a cracker; and he definitely didn't ruin the idea of deploying him as an emergency target man.

Starting team for Wednesday based on today

Kinnear

Houston     Howie          Hamilton    Robson

Cuddihy                Grant

Redfern                              Scullion

Rennie         Dunachie 

Thought Dunachie was excellent up front 2nd half.  Would be good to give him a run out against better opposition to see what he is like

Edited by Bullyweeno1

A decent workout this afternoon. We lined up with McKay and Docherty sitting in front of a back four, Connelly sitting behind the Connell upfront, Redfern on the right-wing, and Scullion on the left. As David mentioned, we tried to play some decent stuff in the first half and we were a good final ball away from being in on a few occasions. We played our way out of trouble quite well at times which was good to see. Laird strolled (pun not intended) the first half for CSS and broke up the play well, which stopped our midfield from being able to create much. Houston and Redfern were both very positive down the right hand side. Houston got forward well and was really unlucky with an effort that cracked off the post. The opener came from a move down our right - Kennedy saved the initial shot but the follow up was turned in. We laboured slightly first half, Laird and Faye were both imposing themselves well in the game and it does have me slightly concerned about how we’ll fair against physical opponents. After the goal Scullion swapped positions with Connelly and we ended the half the stronger of the teams but a goal behind, with McKay missing a free header from close range.

The second half was a different story. We rang the changes with McKay moving to centre half alongside Howie, Dunachie coming on at right-back, Grant, Cuddihy and Leitch coming on in the centre of midfield, and Rennie wide right. Cuddihy, Grant and Rennie all made a big impact when coming and we imposed ourselves in the second half from the get go. Scullion scored directly from a corner which, I think, is the first time I’ve seen that live apart from a John Sweeney effort against Alloa which was disallowed circa 2013. Shortly after, Connelly found himself clean through after a ball over the top but the keeper made a good stop to deny him. We didn’t have long to wait though as McKay bulleted in Cuddihy’s corner. After this Dunachie moved up top with Ross Lyon coming on at right-back. Rennie took the third goal nicely with a nice turn wrong footing the CSS defender after a deep cross from Scullion found him in acres of room. McKay added another with a combination of himself, Howie and a CSS defender bundling the ball in from another corner. Dunachie then added a superb fifth with a nice flick from Rennie finding him, he beat the defender with another neat touch before curling into the bottom corner on his weaker foot. It’s hard to dislike Logan Dunachie and he put in a very serviceable cameo upfront albeit against questionable opposition defenders. I’d certainly feel better with him upfront than I was with the last ginger, tall, centre-half we tried it with. CSS grabbed themselves a late consolation with the last kick of the game as Faye bundled in a free-kick at the back post.

Overall, we can be fairly happy with the workout. It was good to see Kennedy playing and he was fine. Perhaps a bit unfortunate with the goal and he made a couple of decent stops from long range efforts. There was nothing particular about his performance that had me overly concerned about us carrying him as our second-choice keeper. Robson had a quiet game but was generally fine, improving as the game went on (which is a big improvement compared to our usual standard at left-back). Redfern definitely has something about him and he was exciting to watch, plenty of dig and effort too. Connelly and Connell were both relatively quiet but had some wee moments and touches. McKay won plenty in the deck and, obviously, in the air and I think he’s scored three headers in pre-season which is good going. I feel he was better at centre-half in this particular outing. The substitutes generally all improved things though Civil Service always seemed likely to knacker themselves. It was good to see we had another couple of gears to go through and options to change things up as needed.

I understand it’s still pre-season really, but I’d like to see us give the League Cup a good go this year. We have a large squad to choose from and there’s no reason why we can’t look to target third in the group. I have no idea how we’ll line up on Wednesday, but it’s a good dilemma to have. I assume Kinnear will be back in goals despite his absence today. I don’t know whether Dunachie is actually being considered as an option at the top end of the pitch or if it was purely pre-season carry on to allow others to get some minutes in. In saying that, McCall doesn’t seem the type to make a change like that for a laugh so time will tell. Heard a good few rumours at the game too about the potential return of a fan favourite which would be the cherry on top of an already very good window. I’ll be very interested to see how we get on at Edinburgh on Wednesday night and I’m certainly looking forward to it!

Spoiler

Cue Edinburgh City 1 - Clyde 0, naturally…

47 minutes ago, Replays said:

I don’t know whether Dunachie is actually being considered as an option at the top end of the pitch or if it was purely pre-season carry on to allow others to get some minutes in. 

Heard a good few rumours at the game too about the potential return of a fan favourite which would be the cherry on top of an already very good window. 

Thought Dunachie had an excellent game up front.  Won every flick on.  Held the ball up well and brought others into play.  Took his goal well.

Standing next to the dugout seems the management team were surprised at how well he done and don’t think will be the last time we will see it this season

Heard the same rumours as yourself and heard from good authority that the deal is already done.

Edited by Bullyweeno1

10 hours ago, David W said:

Marc Laird should still be strolling about at a much higher level.

Hopefully that's the 4231 experiment canned for the time being.

Tell me about it :bairn

We did all right against Well today but can't defend headers. Think Clyde will be OK on Wednesday. 

4 hours ago, MonTheClyde_MonTheBullyWee said:

Cracking finish by Houston, again in this Big Logan playing as a striker!

Another really nice feature and two great goals again. Great finish from Houston and Dunachie’s movement and header to finish off a nice move was enjoyable. Great wee move leading to the penalty as well.