Clyde FC Season 24/25

2 hours ago, Clyde_MM said:

If we're sticking with the 4231 on Saturday then I'd go Kinnear, Hynes, Hamilton, McKay, Robson, Grant, Murdoch, Redfern, Connell, Connelly, Allan.

Doesn't sort the chopping and changing but Hamilton is wasted at right back and Howie looked all over the shop in the second half on Saturday.

Dunachie is banned and we're playing a decent side on a surface more conducive to football so Allan coming in is a bit of a no-brainer. With any luck, he breaks this drought and he's up and running.

The wings are the only position where I'm not sure. Think Redfern has earned a start after the last couple weeks. Him and Kinnear were the only two I'd give passmarks in the second half on Saturday. Leaves LS7 and Connelly battling for the LW spot. Both were useless in the second half but I though Connelly looked really dangerous in the first half and,  importantly, connected well with Robson so I'd give him the nod.

Agree with most of this!

I think it would be harsh to drop Scullion mind you. Got his goal on Saturday and had a decent enough first half on the right. Looked poor after going down to 10 but who didn't other than the two you mention? Think his engine will get him a start. 

I was a Clyde member during the Covid season, primarily to put an extra bit of cash in at a challenging time. I was so frustrated by a number of issues over that year that I have not been a member since, until this season.

Using a message about match tickets to sneakily announce the return of a previous director, particularly such a controversial one, absolutely stinks.

12 minutes ago, David W said:

I was a Clyde member during the Covid season, primarily to put an extra bit of cash in at a challenging time. I was so frustrated by a number of issues over that year that I have not been a member since, until this season.

Using a message about match tickets to sneakily announce the return of a previous director, particularly such a controversial one, absolutely stinks.

Don't think members got told anything about it either from what I can see.  Ridiculous way to communicate

3 hours ago, Cannibal said:

Don't think members got told anything about it either from what I can see.  Ridiculous way to communicate

An announcement about the return of JA halfway down an email about East Fife does not speak of transparency.  What do others make of this?

13 hours ago, Fast_Action said:

An announcement about the return of JA halfway down an email about East Fife does not speak of transparency.  What do others make of this?

Our BoD are probably good Clyde minded individuals, but we do lack hard hitting business people.  JA, as I understand it, does have business expertise but I think there are 2 questions about him.

1 Why has he always been around and about; lurking in the background with a little too much influence, and permitted to flip in and out the Board without any explanation?

2 As he is a bit of a walloper and and was the protagonist who started the fallout with NLC &  Broadwood, why would we have him within 100 miles of our future?

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Our BoD are probably good Clyde minded individuals, but we do lack hard hitting business people.  JA, as I understand it, does have business expertise but I think there are 2 questions about him.

1 Why has he always been around and about; lurking in the background with a little too much influence, and permitted to flip in and out the Board without any explanation?

2 As he is a bit of a walloper and and was the protagonist who started the fallout with NLC &  Broadwood, why would we have him within 100 miles of our future?

He's never been away........

Utterly, utterly embarrassing. Hard to believe it's turned out like this after that night at Firhill, but I'd have no complaints if McCall was sacked tomorrow. He's ballsed it up massively by continuing on with his (necessary) January strategy of signing as many good* players as possible without thinking about building a balanced unit that can, first and foremost, do the basics. What a horrible mess, and things off the field aren't looking quite so rosy either. We simply aren't allowed nice things!

*debatable

Well, it's even worse than we thought, and it wasn't thought to be great before today. It's getting worse, with no plan, and the same mistakes being made. I had said previously that need to see where we are going into October. Today is a change of manager result.

There was much fanfare over the summer, asking fans to do their bit, ticket prices increased to support a large budget, pushing the optimism. The backing that's gone into the squad makes this a very different season and what's happened until now is so far from acceptable that I think it's sensible for McCall and Clyde to part ways.

Copy and paste from the match thread:

McCall should go tonight. That team isn’t getting better the more they play together, they’re on a downwards trajectory, and we should be looking to change things before it’s too late. There’s no physicality there at all and the back line was pathetic all game. I know a lot of people are unhappy with Hamilton at right back, but I’ll cut the manager some slack with that given the absence of Houston and Hynes. Kinnear is usually reliable but threw in a stinker today alongside the worst defending I’ve ever seen from a collective.

The team’s heads had absolutely gone and I’ve rarely seen a team create as little with a wind advantage as we did second half. The team’s packed full of tidy, wee players but teams have figured out how to run over the top of us. East Fife were well-drilled, dominated the midfield, and Austin was very effective upfront. Nothing flashy but you don’t need to be at this level. 

A number of our players, and the backroom staff, are very well paid for the level but, my word, they aren’t showing it. Despite the deficiencies, it’s a squad who should be doing a lot better. The manager was extremely well-backed, got most of the first choices for the positions he wanted, and had a full pre-season to work with them. I had a bit of patience last season when even with the high turnover of players in January we weren’t really getting results (e.g. it’s difficult changing so many players mid-season, particularly at part-time level etc.) but I’m not pleased at all with what we’re seeing. Depressingly, I’m not sure if we’ll have the money to change it in January given what we’re supposed to have spent during this window. Finally, substituting Redfern and Grant at that stage in the game was perhaps the most baffling call of the day and I’m glad it was appropriately booed. Connelly’s been an absolute sand dancer.

7 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

This almost feels worse than anything last season. 

Correct, then it was a shower of shite signed on the cheap and led by a rookie manager.

This season the management team and playing squad must be the most expensive in the league (or not far off it).

We shouldn’t be losing to anyone in the manner we did today. Dreadful results and even worse performances. A bunch of overpaid, gutless charlatans from top to bottom.

The spend was just completely unnecessary as well. What was the rush to go for broke and chuck a fortune at these guys?

As much as it is a lot harder to take than last season, I also have more optimism that this can be turned round and a relatively successful season achieved come May. As underperforming as they may be, it is still a decent squad. I don't imagine it should be too difficult for fresh eyes to forge them into a competent team, more than capable of competing in this league.

Edited by PTR
Typo